CM7 Nightly Discussion Thread [Old, please use new thread]

Guest Victor von Zeppelin

Guest alex1alex2alex3alex4
what helped to unlock screen: call again from other phone, let it ring once on Blade then hang up on other phone...

Aaaah, so the simple solution is: get a 2nd phone (never forget to take it with you) and call yourself to hang up :(

Guest Pelemane
Just flashed N13 + installed "On Call End" (+ set to "go to home" after call).

Tested:

a. called from other phone

b. accepted call with ZTE Blade and held phone on ear

c. waited a few secords until screen when dark

d. hung up other phone

Result: --> Blade screen stayed black (even with "On Call End"...)

Did I miss anything?

what helped to unlock screen: call again from other phone, let it ring once on Blade then hang up on other phone...

Did you change any settings in that app? cause they are all at "do nothing" by default..

Guest LVL91

Has anyone noticed that if you fiddle around with swyping in menus that at some moment the menu actually becomes smooth?!?

Unfortunately if you let go it is back to laggy. Sometimes it even lags twice as much.

There might be something seriously wrong with the touchscreen driver or touchscreen config since we are also facing a lot freezes...

Guest jayhix

QUOTE(ootyposoo @ Mar 7 2011, 21:24)

Could you please tell me how? Thanks!

Go to settings -> applications and choose one of options. Then u can click on application and u have "Remove to SD" or "Remove to phone"

dear god this stuff shouldnt be on this thread :(

anyway more on topic:

my report on the battery life is as follows 100 -> 13% in just under 10 hours with wifi on all day. wifi at 39% android system 20% (21mins) and display 18%. (1h 35m)

these all seem quite high though considering time on. hmm

Guest IronDoc
Aaaah, so the simple solution is: get a 2nd phone (never forget to take it with you) and call yourself to hang up :(

Nearly spillt my drink :(

Edited by IronDoc

Call yourself with skype?

Skype-Call yourself on the 2nd phone to ask yourself to call you on the 1st to hang up ?

But wait, phone #1's screen still black, looks like our cunning plan doesn't really work out :(

Guest Rotmann
my report on the battery life is as follows 100 -> 13% in just under 10 hours with wifi on all day. wifi at 39% android system 20% (21mins) and display 18%. (1h 35m)

these all seem quite high though considering time on. hmm

:( That's a way better power consumption than I get in 10 hours in airplane mode. Could you tell us how is your wifi policy set up? Also how long did you use the phone, what did you do with it? You are not the first one saying that enabling wifi actually makes the battery life better in CM7 or gingerbread (including the article on phandroid here.)

Regarding this article on phandroid, saying that 2.3.3. on the nexus one is responsible for the battery consumption in our CM7 blades is just wrong. Just look at the comments, most of the nexus one users say they have better or the same battery life as with FroYo. The battery consumption is definitely a problem with CM7 or 2.3 for the blade, coupled with the fact that many people say that wifi on made the battery life better, I think we have a RIL problem here.

As for the rumor with Jacob leaving CM, who invented that? I just posted that he quit IRC yesterday evening, therefore we won't have RC2 on Sunday like we should have had, according to IRC. Also I think RCs are released by the devs, as Jacob said that if he has time and is in the mood for it, he'll build it.

Also I think RCs are released by the devs, as Jacob said that if he has time and is in the mood for it, he'll build it.

Interesting way to run a project, depending on someone who does things (or not) depending on his mood ...

Guest Rotmann
Interesting way to run a project, depending on someone who does things (or not) depending on his mood ...

He's just a human mate, he does not get paid for this, he has school too and it was his Sunday. Nothing strange here.

Anyways, discovered something pretty cool with Quu, he is a Saunalahti finnish user and he does not encounter any battery drain problems in CM7, his battery lasts as mine would last on FroYo, data and 3G enabled. This may be related to the finnish 2.1 Saunalahti RIL which is used in CM7, he will make some experiments in airplane mode to supervise the battery drain, it may be the beginning of the tracking down of the battery consumption problem. Hope so. Also if there are any Saunalahti CM7 users here, please post your experience with the idle battery consumption in CM7. Thanks.

Edited by Rotmann

Guest IronDoc
Skype-Call yourself on the 2nd phone to ask yourself to call you on the 1st to hang up ?

But wait, phone #1's screen still black, looks like our cunning plan doesn't really work out :(

Damn you spotted my idiocy before i edited it out :(

He's just a human mate, he does not get paid for this, he has school too and it was his Sunday. Nothing strange here.

Anyways, discovered something pretty cool with Quu, he is a Saunalahti finnish user and he does not encounter any battery drain problems in CM7, his battery lasts as mine would last on FroYo, data and 3G enabled. This may be related to the finnish 2.1 Saunalahti RIL which is used in CM7, he will make some experiments in airplane mode to supervise the battery drain, it may be the beginning of the tracking down of the battery consumption problem. Hope so. Also if there are any Saunalahti CM7 users here, please post your experience with the idle battery consumption in CM7. Thanks.

It makes a good 'ole heap of sense. As I wasn't around in the old days of this forum, what did the Saunalahti fix actually fix?

Guest jayhix
:( That's a way better power consumption than I get in 10 hours in airplane mode. Could you tell us how is your wifi policy set up? Also how long did you use the phone, what did you do with it? You are not the first one saying that enabling wifi actually makes the battery life better in CM7 or gingerbread (including the article on phandroid here.)

Regarding this article on phandroid, saying that 2.3.3. on the nexus one is responsible for the battery consumption in our CM7 blades is just wrong. Just look at the comments, most of the nexus one users say they have better or the same battery life as with FroYo. The battery consumption is definitely a problem with CM7 or 2.3 for the blade, coupled with the fact that many people say that wifi on made the battery life better, I think we have a RIL problem here.

As for the rumor with Jacob leaving CM, who invented that? I just posted that he quit IRC yesterday evening, therefore we won't have RC2 on Sunday like we should have had, according to IRC. Also I think RCs are released by the devs, as Jacob said that if he has time and is in the mood for it, he'll build it.

I dont have any wifi policy other than whatever is default, it could be that having wifi on reduces the data usage so saves battery but if your in airplane mode then thats counters that idea. only made a short phonecall today and mostly texted 50 - 100 max sent did some internet surfing, also changed my launcher to adw ex and overclocked to 729mhz doubt that would save battery though!

Guest Simon O

The rumor started when you posted that message from IRC. People just misunderstood your message.

CM7 isn't in RC7 yet. When Cyanogen himself announces it then the blade will have it. Of course people will start to complain again because it has bugs and things don't work.

Jacobs got a lot of stress with his exam preparations so cut him some slack. He hasn't given up anything.

Now I expect people to misunderstand what I wrote and think jacob has quit :(

Guest css771
It makes a good 'ole heap of sense. As I wasn't around in the old days of this forum, what did the Saunalahti fix actually fix?

Well it didn't actually "fix" anything. The RIL couldn't actually be reverse engineered because ZTE has obfuscated it somehow. RIL didn't use to work on beta2 and below iirc. So the devs for CM7 ended up using the RIL libs from Saunalahti because they worked. Why those particularly and not those from Orange/others I do not know. But I've tried just copying over the Orange 2.1 and it doesn't work.

The possibility that RIL is what is draining the battery on standby has been suggested on this thread before. But nothing more has come of it. In fact a few Saunalahti users have already suggested that even they are experiencing the same kind of battery drain on standby, which they were not experiencing using the same ril libs on other roms.

Edited by css771

Guest Ciels

First time wiping since RC1, have to say it's been an achievement to not have to wipe up until now.

:(

Edited by Ciels

Well it didn't actually "fix" anything. The RIL couldn't actually be reverse engineered because ZTE has obfuscated it somehow. RIL didn't use to work on beta2 and below iirc. So the devs for CM7 ended up using the RIL libs from Saunalahti because they worked. Why those particularly and not those from Orange/others I do not know. But I've tried just copying over the Orange 2.1 and it doesn't work.

The possibility that RIL is what is draining the battery on standby has been suggested on this thread before. But nothing more has come of it. In fact a few Saunalahti users have already suggested that even they are experiencing the same kind of battery drain on standby, which they were not experiencing using the same ril libs on other roms.

Woops, I know that part of the story, I wasjust wondering why the sunhalahti blades had a different RIL. In the firstplace.

Guest Scoopading

I've just tested it on the latest N13. WIFI "on" does NOT appear to improve battery life - it makes it worse, as expected.

I started with 96% battery and, after 6 hours with the WIFI set to never sleep, the battery was 69% - A drop of 27%, or 4.5% per hour instead of the usual 2% per hour drain expected from CM7.

Note - to make the WIFI Never sleep function work properly on CM7 you must install a wake lock app such as "Advanced Wifi Lock Free" otherwise, just as with every original stock Blade rom I'm aware of, it will always drop the connection after the screen goes off, unless you keep the phone connected to USB. This can be easily verified by pinging the phone from another machine. Without such "hacks" the Never sleep WIFI function just plain doesn't work.

So, whilst it doesn't rule out WIFI as a cause for the battery drain ( because you can't tell for sure due to the fact the WIFI lock app hack must also be draining the battery more) it looks a bit more doubtful to me. Without such hacks, when you set the WIFI to Never sleep, it'll function exactly the same as when you set the WIFI to "When screen turns off".

Edited by Scoopading

I've just tested it, WIFI "on" does NOT improve battery life - it makes it worse, as expected.

I started with 96% battery and, after 6 hours with the WIFI set to never sleep the battery was 69% - A drop of 27%, or 4.5% per hour instead of the usual 2% per hour drain expected from CM7.

Note - to make the WIFI Never sleep function work properly on CM7 you must install a wake lock app such as "Advanced Wifi Lock Free" otherwise, just as with all the original stock roms I'm aware of, it will always drop the connection after the screen goes off, unless you keep the phone connected to USB. This can be easily verified by pinging the phone from another machine. Without such "hacks" the Never sleep WIFI function just plain doesn't work.

So, whilst it doesn't rule out WIFI as a cause for the battery drain, because you can't tell for sure due to the fact the WIFI lock app hack must also be draining the battery more, it looks a bit more doubtful to me.

Another way to keep wifi on is by using the native sip/voip client, it seems it uses a different type of wifi lock which actually works.

Guest Rotmann

The Saunalahti 2.1 allowed us to have working RIL for 2.3. Tom_G discovered it. Other RILs don't work AFAIK.

The rumor started when you posted that message from IRC. People just misunderstood your message.

Now I expect people to misunderstand what I wrote and think jacob has quit :(

Uh, oh :( Tom_G quits? God dammit, we are doomed! :)

I've just tested it, WIFI "on" does NOT improve battery life - it makes it worse, as expected.

I started with 96% battery and, after 6 hours with the WIFI set to never sleep the battery was 69% - A drop of 27%, or 4.5% per hour instead of the usual 2% per hour drain expected from CM7.

Note - to make the WIFI Never sleep function work properly on CM7 you must install a wake lock app such as "Advanced Wifi Lock Free" otherwise, just as with all the original stock roms I'm aware of, it will always drop the connection after the screen goes off, unless you keep the phone connected to USB. This can be easily verified by pinging the phone from another machine. Without such "hacks" the Never sleep WIFI function just plain doesn't work.

So, whilst it doesn't rule out WIFI as a cause for the battery drain, it looks much more doubtful because the battery drain does go up when you actually enable WIFI.

jayhix said he did not make any changes to wifi, we should try with the stock setting, I think it's the first one, switch off when the screen is off.

@Victor, check out the new gapps links for the first post here or here. md5: 29efd1cc5457849b10d4f0dc31f7f04c

@jayhix, could you please make more updates on your battery life, once in 2-3 days to tell us if it's still good? I am gonna do some testing with wifi on, standard wifi policy. You are not on Saunalahti in Finland, are you? ;)

Edited by Rotmann

Guest Scoopading
Another way to keep wifi on is by using the native sip/voip client, it seems it uses a different type of wifi lock which actually works.

Yep. But the purpose wasn't simply to hold open the connection (many apps will do the same, although not Skype for whatever reason) but also to try to measure battery performance. So I wanted something which did that and nothing more..

Would be curious if the sip/voip client had a different result, but I'd expect it to probably use either the same or more battery..

Guest Scoopading
jayhix said he did not make any changes to wifi, we should try with the stock setting, I think it's the first one, switch off when the screen is off.
I already tried that a while back though, and it didn't seem to make any difference to the usual 2% drain whilst in standby. But, if anyone has had a different experience, let us know.

Yep. But the purpose wasn't simply to hold open the connection (many apps will do the same, although not Skype for whatever reason) but also to try to measure battery performance. So I wanted something which did that and nothing more..

Would be curious if the sip/voip client had a different result, but I'd expect it to probably use either the same or more battery..

The native sip client should hold wifi open in a different way. It doesn't keep the phone awake.