CM7 Nightly Discussion Thread [Old, please use new thread]

Guest Victor von Zeppelin

Guest ppa123

Was fastreading through a couple of pages of posts and got confused here at the end. Do I need the new boot.img for N14 or is it included?

I'm a Saunalahti user BTW

Guest Swimmerboy
Was fastreading through a couple of pages of posts and got confused here at the end. Do I need the new boot.img for N14 or is it included?

It's not included, but there's no 'proof' that it works yet, although it seems to give better battery life so far...

Guest Scoopading

It's not included, so you would have to install it yourself, although it's too early to say if it'll help the battery drain issues whilst the phone sleeps. The worst part of this type of problem is you need to give it at least a few hours just sitting there to be sure :(

Makes you wonder what other typos are in the kernel though, huh? :(

Guest Maringer
It's not included, but there's no 'proof' that it works yet, although it seems to give better battery life so far...

That seems to be the problem in this thread so far. One post mentioning a perceived improvement after editing some variables and too many people seem to jump on the bandwagon thinking it definitely solves the problem. We need to be more circumspect and wait for positive responses from a number of people over the course of a day or two before definitively saying that a problem has been solved.

For me, the proximity problem appears to be pretty much resolved as of N13 so that is hopefully one of the 'big two' problems sorted out.

Fingers-crossed that the release of N14 and possibly the Wakelocks typo can help with the idle battery drain!

Guest Stooby
For me, the proximity problem appears to be pretty much resolved as of N13 so that is hopefully one of the 'big two' problems sorted out.

I had terrible problems with the proximity issue on N13, so I've reverted back to N8 which is much better for me in this respect.

Guest ppa123
That seems to be the problem in this thread so far. One post mentioning a perceived improvement after editing some variables and too many people seem to jump on the bandwagon thinking it definitely solves the problem. We need to be more circumspect and wait for positive responses from a number of people over the course of a day or two before definitively saying that a problem has been solved.

Fingers-crossed that the release of N14 and possibly the Wakelocks typo can help with the idle battery drain!

I seem to have the worst proximity sensor problems with N13 that I ever had... the phone wakes up but takes ages and covering the sensor. I also had a couple of calls where the screens stays black when there is an incomming call. Phone rang and I took it from my pocket but screen stays blank for about 20...30s until it comes on and the call can be answered. Could this be because I didn't wipe between N12 and N13?

@Scoopading we have to open the kernel in a wordprocessor and choose the kernel dictionary to check for spelling errors :(

@Swimmerboy thanks for ur reply

Guest Swimmerboy

I quite agree - hope I didn't come across as advocating this as a silver bullet! Was simply saying that the author seems to think it works after a few hours of use, but as stated this could be down to N14's better battery management, not enough time having passed to give definitive results or simply a placebo affect.

I've installed it myself and will be interested to see the results but I'm not expecting any answers for at least 24 hours.

Guest ppa123
I quite agree - hope I didn't come across as advocating this as a silver bullet! Was simply saying that the author seems to think it works after a few hours of use, but as stated this could be down to N14's better battery management, not enough time having passed to give definitive results or simply a placebo affect.

I've installed it myself and will be interested to see the results but I'm not expecting any answers for at least 24 hours.

So you say that N14 itself have some improvements in battery management? Now my question is, should I stay on N13 and update the kernel or go for N14 without the new kernel and then wait for the perfect wednesday RC2 (just had to use that oldie joke) :(

Guest Scoopading
So you say that N14 itself have some improvements in battery management? Now my question is, should I stay on N13 and update the kernel or go for N14 without the new kernel and then wait for the perfect wednesday RC2 (just had to use that oldie joke) :(
I doubt N14 will make much/any difference to the battery drain issue. I'm using N13 still and it's been on the updated kernel for over 2 hours now. I'll leave it about another 4 hours and see if it's made any difference, as you can usually tell by then. I'd recommend people give it at least about 5 hours before they start drawing conclusions though, as CM7 can often report 100% battery for the first 2 hours or more before dropping rapidly.

Guest Maringer
I had terrible problems with the proximity issue on N13, so I've reverted back to N8 which is much better for me in this respect.

Strange, isn't it? :(

I do wonder how many differences there are between different versions of the Blade and how these may affect the problems we are encountering?

I've got one of the OLED blades (from some of the first batch produced, I assume), my girlfriend has a later TFT-screened blade and, on some of the earlier Eclair ROMs, she had problems where I saw none!

Guest Stooby
Strange, isn't it? :(

I do wonder how many differences there are between different versions of the Blade and how these may affect the problems we are encountering?

I've got one of the OLED blades (from some of the first batch produced, I assume), my girlfriend has a later TFT-screened blade and, on some of the earlier Eclair ROMs, she had problems where I saw none!

Mine has the TFT screen.

I did a full wipe before flashing N13 and had no end of trouble with the proximity issue (including having to pull the battery twice). On N8, I hardly ever get this problem and when I do, I just need to cover/uncover the proximity sensor and it's all good again.

I think I'll stay on N8 and watch what other people report for N14 onwards (and hopefully RC2 soon).

Guest Rotmann
The recovery image wasn't able to mount the ext partition so anybody that flashed recovery using rom manager would find they can no longer make full nandroid backups or even restore.

By default the recovery image doesn't mount ext partitions as Cyanogen has phased out the old style Apps2SD in favor of the Froyo method. But on devices with small data partitions it's pretty essential and useful to have the older method, which works fine in Gingerbread.

Wow, thanks a lot, you are a hero fighting in two wars!

Also I thought it had been established that it wasn't blade-specific.

Someone willing could delete/replace to test anyway...

It is kind of blade specific, look at the nexus one user comments in the phandroid article, most of the users report better or the same battery as on FroYo

And what's news? Where is the ChangeLog??? Cause Victor von Zeppelin don't refresh the first post.

Always when we got a new Nightly, its look like a Kinder Surprise. You never know what you got...

Look at the Githubs linked on the first page.

The Saunalahti RIL was also used in kallt_kaffe's JJ/Japanese Jellyfish Froyo ROM. See its first post, search for "Saunalahti". So I doubt that RIL lib alone is the problem (while of course that's not impossible).

Well, there was NO battery drain problem on JJ whatsoever, so ...

One of the most common problems on JJ was the battery drain. Also the Saunalahti ril was only for Saunalahti users having some sort of problems.

Okay this may seem absurd at first. But I may have found a way to better battery life. Here goes.

I pulled the /proc/wakelocks from my phone which is on N13. Here is what I found: (Sorry I tried formatting it. But it's not working.)

The log continues on. Now as can be seen here, rpcrotuer_smd_xprt, i.e. the first entry, is the only thing having a wake_count of 42. All the others in the log have 0 (Even ones not shown here.) Correspondingly, in the events log (adb logcat -b events), rpcrotuer_smd_xprt has caused wuite a few wakelocks.

Now the funny part, rpcrotuer is misspelt. In the config files of the kernel, it is always spelt as rpcrouter. So this looked suspicious.

In the kernel source, under arch/arm/mach-msm, there is the file rpcrouter_smd_xprt.c and its object file. In that file I found rpcrotuer_smd_xprt and corrected it to rpcrouter_smd_xprt. And then I compiled a new kernel incorporating this change. I've been experiencing better standby now.

And now, my /proc/wakelocks file looks like this:

So there's no more rpcrotuer_smd_xprt anywhere to be seen. And nothing has registered a wake_count in the entire log. I've been running this kernel for over 10 hours now, and my standbt life has improved significantly.

Now just to see whether it's only me, I'm attaching the new kernel if anybody wants to try it. Want to confirm if standby time is mirroring the logs. Let me know if standby time improves anyhow.

md5sum:c482209d7ecebf9f6dd19d182a3dfb63

Wow, that's a magnificient find, let's see if it works.

Edited by Rotmann

Guest Simon O
Wow, thanks a lot, you are a hero fighting in two wars!

It's just a small fix that Jacob was planning to submit but didn't have time to, so I did it for him. I wish I had the knowledge and skills to fix some of these bugs though.

He's just a human mate, he does not get paid for this, he has school too and it was his Sunday. Nothing strange here.

Anyways, discovered something pretty cool with Quu, he is a Saunalahti finnish user and he does not encounter any battery drain problems in CM7, his battery lasts as mine would last on FroYo, data and 3G enabled. This may be related to the finnish 2.1 Saunalahti RIL which is used in CM7, he will make some experiments in airplane mode to supervise the battery drain, it may be the beginning of the tracking down of the battery consumption problem. Hope so. Also if there are any Saunalahti CM7 users here, please post your experience with the idle battery consumption in CM7. Thanks.

So , i got 2 blades. Yesterday did test with N12 with new boot.img on other one and other one on N11. N12 one was suposed to idle whole day , N11 one had some quick browsing and remote to home. Both lost about 30% of battery during 9 hours.

Today , not testing , but playing around whole day allmost and lost 50%.

I did use Froyo for while before going to CM7. There battery lasted alot longer on idle , thought on use it drained bit faster.

Oh and im Saunalahti customer.

Guest Pelemane
It is kind of blade specific, look at the nexus one user comments in the phandroid article, most of the users report better or the same battery as on FroYo

I don't think that battery issues are Blade only. N1 users are complaining about CM7 RC1 battery life here.

One of the most common problems on JJ was the battery drain. Also the Saunalahti ril was only for Saunalahti users having some sort of problems.

My battery life was great on JJ.

Guest IronDoc

Why is everyone so excited about RC2? Surely the changes are just as incremental compared to the last nightly as they normally are...

Edited by IronDoc

Guest Pelemane
Why have we got the Saunalahti RIL? Is it the latest revision

I thought the Stock Orange B10 was!

IIRC Saunalahti RIL was the only RIL that worked.

Guest alex1alex2alex3alex4
So , i got 2 blades. Yesterday did test with N12 with new boot.img on other one and other one on N11. N12 one was suposed to idle whole day , N11 one had some quick browsing and remote to home. Both lost about 30% of battery during 9 hours.

Today , not testing , but playing around whole day allmost and lost 50%.

I did use Froyo for while before going to CM7. There battery lasted alot longer on idle , thought on use it drained bit faster.

Oh and im Saunalahti customer.

Try N14, subjectively it appears (to me) to drain the battery less.