StreakDroid 1.8.1 ( aka Bug Extermination Edition ) Release Post

Guest Stephen Hyde

Guest Kid A
Lol, bleeding edge fatigue... I suspect many of us have been there :(

I had a couple of issues with blue tooth pairing to my headphones and the phone locking up mid-call last night on 1.8.1, and my market is still repeatedly asking for first time accept Ts&Cs... Running with perfmod, so maybe that's less stable but I'm not going to do a full reversal to stock plus re-upgrade to 1.8.1 because it's 'good enough' for now... Looking forward to 1.9 and inching towards an even more stable Dell Streak.

Overall, we've never had it so good. I'm also looking forward to the Dell Opus with Honeycomb as my next machine :(

Cheers

Brian

I'm still on 1.6.1 and have suddenly started getting that T&C bug with thethe market.

Guest Hans A.

I was having all sorts of problems like you, but yesterday I finally figured out how to go back to stock froyo 2.2 and then straight to 1.81. So far things seem very stable, even after reboots. No lost settings. This time around I did 1.81 without perfmod.

You might want to try that.

I have 2 problems with 1.8.1:

1. I can't create any home screen shortcuts from within an application. I can create same homescreen shortcuts directly from the homescreen but not from the application.

2. I lose locale settings that I make with "custom locale" after a reboot.

any workaround for these issues ?

Guest the.mister.D
I was having all sorts of problems like you, but yesterday I finally figured out how to go back to stock froyo 2.2 and then straight to 1.81. So far things seem very stable, even after reboots. No lost settings. This time around I did 1.81 without perfmod.

You might want to try that.

Hello Hans A,

Would you please share the steps you followed to go back to stock Froyo 2.2?

I was on Steve's 1.8.1 and after few hours either Streak would reboot or I can't get it out from the sleep mode. Pressing power button for over 20 seconds didn't do anything either. Only option i would have is to remove battery and put it back in.

I did following so far:

1. Re-flashed 1.8.1 few times (with and without PERFMOD)

2. Wiped the Dalvik Cache

Didn't help. After 3 to 4 hours Streak would just pass out.

So after that I went back 1.6.1 and Streak seems to be stable, but I would like to be on 1.8.1

I've US Streak, which I got it unlocked.

Baseband is: GAUSB1A131800-US

Thanks in advance

Guest alexmoi

I guess i talked to fast. Twice i reinstall 1.8.1 and after a day or so my wifi will start saying wifi error then when i reboot it goes into a boot loop

Guest DelSan
Hello Hans A,

I was on Steve's 1.8.1 and after few hours either Streak would reboot or I can't get it out from the sleep mode. Pressing power button for over 20 seconds didn't do anything either. Only option i would have is to remove battery and put it back in.

I did following so far:

So after that I went back 1.6.1 and Streak seems to be stable, but I would like to be on 1.8.1

Thanks in advance

I've also just reflashed - using QDLtool, went to Dell Streak 2.2 - then flashed 1.8.1 directly - Had a funny issue where it was just booting looping, it was playing the boot sequence over and over with occasional sliders.

Flashed 1.6.1 to see if it fixed - Didn't

Flashed the amss and then 1.81 again - and working.

But it keeps rebooting and sleep mode when not plugged in. Maybe we should start uploading logs?

Guest Hans A.

Okay first thing you have to do is download the stock 2.2 ROM from Dell.

http://mobileupdate.dell.com/PackageProduc...18_12821_00.pkg

Put this on the root of the SD card and rename it update.pkg.

Now you have go back to the stock rom installer. This replaces streakmod or clockwork. Those installers only install .zip files, not .pkg files.

You can download that here:

http://streakdroid.com/?page_id=15

I believe it's called 309 recovery image.

Use fastboot.exe with the appropriate parameters to install the recovery image. If you are successful, when you do power, volume up, volume down it would bring up the stock rom installer instead of streakmod or clockwork.

If it does, choose the update.pkg option.

After it's done, you will be back on stock froyo 2.2.

Now you have to reinstall streakmod or clockwork using fastboot.exe.

I'm assuming you know how to use fastboot.exe since you were able to put on 1.61.

Good luck. Let me know if you need more details. Took me a week to figure it out.

Hello Hans A,

I did following so far:

Thanks in advance

Guest the.mister.D
Okay first thing you have to do is download the stock 2.2 ROM from Dell.

http://mobileupdate.dell.com/PackageProduc...18_12821_00.pkg

Put this on the root of the SD card and rename it update.pkg.

Now you have go back to the stock rom installer. This replaces streakmod or clockwork. Those installers only install .zip files, not .pkg files.

You can download that here:

http://streakdroid.com/?page_id=15

I believe it's called 309 recovery image.

Use fastboot.exe with the appropriate parameters to install the recovery image. If you are successful, when you do power, volume up, volume down it would bring up the stock rom installer instead of streakmod or clockwork.

If it does, choose the update.pkg option.

After it's done, you will be back on stock froyo 2.2.

Now you have to reinstall streakmod or clockwork using fastboot.exe.

I'm assuming you know how to use fastboot.exe since you were able to put on 1.61.

Good luck. Let me know if you need more details. Took me a week to figure it out.

Thank you much Hans,

Will try it in a few and post my results back here!!

Guest Hans A.

use streakmod. some people say clockwork doens't work for Stephens custom roms.

Thank you much Hans,

Will try it in a few and post my results back here!!

Guest Hans A.

Try going back to 2.2 using fastboot and streakmod.

So far 1.81 seems solid from clean 2.2. day 2 today.

I've also just reflashed - using QDLtool, went to Dell Streak 2.2 - then flashed 1.8.1 directly - Had a funny issue where it was just booting looping, it was playing the boot sequence over and over with occasional sliders.

Flashed 1.6.1 to see if it fixed - Didn't

Flashed the amss and then 1.81 again - and working.

But it keeps rebooting and sleep mode when not plugged in. Maybe we should start uploading logs?

Guest the.mister.D
use streakmod. some people say clockwork doens't work for Stephens custom roms.

Hey Hans,

I followed your steps and I was able to get back on stock 2.2 and then updated back to Steve's 1.8.1.

Everything worked out smooth. Thank you so much again!!

Now, I do have nandroid full backup, but honestly I've never had to restore it in the past. Can someone please tell me, how do I restore all my apps?

Do i've do to full restore? (I am afraid then its going to go back to the same problem which I was having before with random reboots)

Or I've to do Selective restore? But in this case, which option should I select to restore my apps and my settings?

I am assuming it would be "Restore Data".

Am I correct?

Thank you again!!

Guest Hans A.

Yeah! Glad I was able to pay it forward and help someone.

Can't answer that since I have been installing my apps from scratch. two of my apps with the most configuration options, launcher pro and executive assistant, thankfully have their own backup/restore options.

But I read somewhere that the dell backup program for the streak is very good. I know that doesn't help you, but maybe for next time.

Hey Hans,

I followed your steps and I was able to get back on stock 2.2 and then updated back to Steve's 1.8.1.

Everything worked out smooth. Thank you so much again!!

Now, I do have nandroid full backup, but honestly I've never had to restore it in the past. Can someone please tell me, how do I restore all my apps?

Do i've do to full restore? (I am afraid then its going to go back to the same problem which I was having before with random reboots)

Or I've to do Selective restore? But in this case, which option should I select to restore my apps and my settings?

I am assuming it would be "Restore Data".

Am I correct?

Thank you again!!

Guest nonong

Tabletphone and LCD density greater than 160 - first of all, was this option successfully installed and secondly, are you getting FCs while on a call? It's working perfectly on 1.70. If no FCs then please provide the content of your install.txt. Thanks in advance.

Guest mrmrmrmr
I have 2 problems with 1.8.1:

1. I can't create any home screen shortcuts from within an application. I can create same homescreen shortcuts directly from the homescreen but not from the application.

2. I lose locale settings that I make with "custom locale" after a reboot.

any workaround for these issues ?

ok; locale problem is gone now.

but I still have the problem of not being able to create home screen shortcuts from within an application.

I believe this is a general problem; not specific to me. because I have wiped all data and installed 1.8.1 without perfmod over an old rom with no perfmod.

can anyone please confirm that homescreen shortcuts can't be created from apps ? for example, profile activation shortcut of Audio Manager...

Guest Hans A.

I installed Audio Manager Pro and I can't create shortcuts also. You might want to check out Extended Controls. It's a widget with many useful toggles, but one of the toggles also lets you set volume control for individual things.

Meanhwhile, report it as a bug under 2.2 probably.

ok; locale problem is gone now.

but I still have the problem of not being able to create home screen shortcuts from within an application.

I believe this is a general problem; not specific to me. because I have wiped all data and installed 1.8.1 without perfmod over an old rom with no perfmod.

can anyone please confirm that homescreen shortcuts can't be created from apps ? for example, profile activation shortcut of Audio Manager...

Guest mrmrmrmr
I installed Audio Manager Pro and I can't create shortcuts also. You might want to check out Extended Controls. It's a widget with many useful toggles, but one of the toggles also lets you set volume control for individual things.

Meanhwhile, report it as a bug under 2.2 probably.

It's not only Audio Manager. You can not create homescreen shortcuts from ANY application on 1.8.1

Some examples are : remote VNC, remote RDP

So it's not a bug of Audio Manager. It's a bug on StreakDroid 1.8.1

because I was able to do this on 1.6.1

Steve,

any comments ?

Guest alert_bri
Try going back to 2.2 using fastboot and streakmod.

So far 1.81 seems solid from clean 2.2. day 2 today.

Hello Hans, could you please share your chosen install.txt settings... Are you using perfmod? How's day 3 going? Have you noticed any slow downs? What processor speed are you running?

I'd really like to find the most stable setup, since I have a Dell Streak for main use and would rather not have to fiddle around just to keep it doing the basic stuff (including phone calls) during the day.

It feels like we are tantalisingly close!

Cheers

Brian

Guest fards
It's not only Audio Manager. You can not create homescreen shortcuts from ANY application on 1.8.1

Steve,

any comments ?

I can create short cuts fine, as it appears can lots of others

Guest mrmrmrmr

guys,

you are NOT reading what I wrote.

I can also create short cuts from app drawer or from home screen (long press)

What I can't do is:

creating short cuts from within an application.

Please check that on your device...

Guest XsCode

What does that even mean "creating short cuts from within an application."??

guys,

you are NOT reading what I wrote.

I can also create short cuts from app drawer or from home screen (long press)

What I can't do is:

creating short cuts from within an application.

Please check that on your device...

Guest Hans A.

Some applications like Audio Manager lets you create audio profiles and put a shortcut to that profile on your home screen. I'm sure there must be other apps that let you create shortcuts to one of their functions.

That is not working in 1.81 it seems.

I don't use it. I just downloaded to test it out for him.

What does that even mean "creating short cuts from within an application."??

Guest Hans A.

I can create regular shortcuts. Just can't create them from within Audio Manager.

Steve,

any comments ?

Guest strvmarv
I was on 1.70, 1.80, and 1.81, but I experienced issues with all three in regards to using Cell Data (just turning it on - APN's were set correctly) and Wifi. My baseband was GAUSB1A130500-US and it seemed a little odd. I tried the 340 flash from CW/SM, factory reset, flash 1.80 and everything seemed fine until I started messing with the data switch again (I constantly move in and out of wifi all day at work, so I thoroughly test this on each update) and the switching between wifi and cell required me to reboot each time. I considered a full restore to 1.6 ATT stock, but even the 5 min on 340 made me a sad panda, so a jump to 1.6, and the possibility of epic failure convinced me otherwise. Just thought I'd share, this put me on baseband GAUSB1A134031-US and appears to have cleared up the Data that wouldn't enable without a reboot...so far:

1. extracted the decoded ATT 2.2 340 pkg from here...it's the dropbox link BTW! (dropbox link)

2. grabbed the amss.mbn and dsp1.mbn (if you don't want to do step one you can get the already extracted files from here)

3. went into fastboot and flashed both of them

Wifi/Cell Data still working, settings are still "sticking". Although, I do believe I lost the fps tweak that steve added way back, but no big for me. Anyone else try the above? How did it go for you?