StreakDroid 1.8.1 ( aka Bug Extermination Edition ) Release Post

Guest Stephen Hyde

Guest fards
Yeah, I felt like that for a while too. Now I think I have a better handle on things. Though I'm still perplexed as to why installing a custom ROM doesn't completely wipe the device. There should be no need to install a stock version first.

It's like saying I have to install Windows 95 before I can install Windows 7.

I didn't have any luck with clockwork as a custom rom installer. I switched to streakmod and had no problems.

Remember if you want to back to stock, you have to replace clockwork with recovery image 309, the native stock rom installer so it can read the update.pkg file.

Also, the consensus seems to avoid perfmod.

The reason it doesn't do factory wipe is because of all the people that whine when theres a rom that does!

Its nothing like installing 95 to install win7

Its like installing win7 before installing win7 sp1

steves rom (same add pretty much every other custom rom) just wipes and flashes the system partition. It doesn'tmess with base band, dsp, or any of the other files that are flashed during a stock Dell flash (and there are lot of them. Theres already a thread on them, check it out.)

None if these are flashable without the Dell pkg system, and frankly no one knows how to get that created... Igg we did it would make life so much simpler

The pkg also wipes all partitions and recreates them on the innersd, it is possible to do it manually, but tbh as people have difficulty following instructions for pretty basic stuff, messing like that is a recipe for disaster.

So flashIng a stock rom is the simplest way of doing it.

Edited by fards

Guest Hans A.

In case you missed it, here's an earlier post where I gave a litte bit more detail:

http://android.modaco.com/index.php?s=&amp...t&p=1622502

Yes me too. I am used to formatting my hard disk and then a clean install of Windows. And it is a process akin to that which I am looking for here.

Although I have been fine with my old version of ClockworkMod but I shall replace it now with StreakMod.

Thank you for that, it is exactly the information I needed. I have found the file and fards Thread here

http://android.modaco.com/content/dell-str...recovery-image/

Thanks for the reminder.

This is all very clarifying and helpful, much appreciated.

Guest mrmrmrmr
I guess Steve hasn't commented because no-one else who's involved can replicate it..

I can create shortcuts from miren browser fine, which means that its unlikely to be an issue with the rom, and to be honest is such a minor issue that it doesn't even bear investigating never mind the continual complaining and posting about it

you are underestimating the problem.

this is a feature of Android OS which I find very useful.

In fact, I can't achieve what I was able to do before 1.8.1:

I want to put a direct shortcut to my VNC host on the homescreen. This is not achieveable through standard homescreen shortcut mechanism.

Also, I can't create a direct shortcut to my AudioManager profiles as I could before.

So, it is a reason of returning to 1.6.1 for me, if we can't find a solution.

I can also create shortcuts from Miren browser. That doesn't solve my problems with RemoteVNC or AudioManager.

Fards,

you are just looking at issues from one perspective point. Unfortunately, world is not turning around you...

Guest rebski
The reason it doesn't do factory wipe is because of all the people that whine when theres a rom that does!

steves rom (same add pretty much every other custom rom) just wipes and flashes the system partition. It doesn'tmess with base band, dsp, or any of the other files that are flashed during a stock Dell flash (and there are lot of them. Theres already a thread on them, check it out.)

None if these are flashable without the Dell pkg system, and frankly no one knows how to get that created... Igg we did it would make life so much simpler

The pkg also wipes all partitions and recreates them on the innersd, it is possible to do it manually, but tbh as people have difficulty following instructions for pretty basic stuff, messing like that is a recipe for disaster.

@fards

Thanks for the explanation.

Guest alexmoi

since 3 days after i installed 1.8.1 i started to get this problem.

My wifi will out of the blue go offline and when i try to restart it i get "error" under wifi. I restart my streak and it does like i did a factory reset and all my apps are gone and OS will start with that android logo you got to press on.

Now i changed back to 1.8.0 going from official 2.2 then to 1.8.0 and everything will run good and 24 to 36 hours later it will do like it's doing a factory reset after the wifi giving me error. Any ideas?

Guest alexmoi

got a nooby question but i just don't know elsewhere to ask and it's pretty simple answer lol. When you buy a app off the market and your streak f$%&^%'s up. You then need to reinstall everything. Can you get back your paid apps or you have lost them if you didn't do a backup?

I know it's a pre-nooby question but i've always been scared of buying apps in case i can't get them back. I know the price of an app is really not much but still alot if i have to buy it 20 times lol

Guest Hans A.

All the paid apps will show up under myapps in the market place. You can reinstall them without paying for them again.

What I don't understand is why doesn't it list all the apps you've installed. All the apps should be associated with your account, not just paid ones.

got a nooby question but i just don't know elsewhere to ask and it's pretty simple answer lol. When you buy a app off the market and your streak f$%&^%'s up. You then need to reinstall everything. Can you get back your paid apps or you have lost them if you didn't do a backup?

I know it's a pre-nooby question but i've always been scared of buying apps in case i can't get them back. I know the price of an app is really not much but still alot if i have to buy it 20 times lol

Guest Hans A.

Sorry it took so long.

Here is my install.txt file:

volboost

bios

gbkb

density 240

So far so good. Once in a while the OS seems to freak out, but nothing serious. No problems making phone calls.

I'm running setcpu with the scaling smartass setting. 998 max, 245 min.

Hello Hans, could you please share your chosen install.txt settings... Are you using perfmod? How's day 3 going? Have you noticed any slow downs? What processor speed are you running?

I'd really like to find the most stable setup, since I have a Dell Streak for main use and would rather not have to fiddle around just to keep it doing the basic stuff (including phone calls) during the day.

It feels like we are tantalisingly close!

Cheers

Brian

Guest alexmoi
All the paid apps will show up under myapps in the market place. You can reinstall them without paying for them again.

What I don't understand is why doesn't it list all the apps you've installed. All the apps should be associated with your account, not just paid ones.

Ok so what your trying to tell me is that my paid apps will follow me like the contacts and calendar do?

Guest frankquattrone

Fards, this was really helpful information. All of your info is, which is what was pushed me to revert to Stock before going to 1.8.1 which seems to have given me a very stable install. Question from your latest comment on the baseband though. I went back to Stock then straight to 1.8.1. I didn't do the update the baseband or the 720p fix since I had done it before and assumed it would stick. Did those get re-written when I went to Stock and should I update them again? If yes, can I update them now after I already installed 1.8.1 or do I need to install to start all over from Stock? Thanks!

Guest frankquattrone

@alexmoi: Contacts and calendar will autopopulate itself but apps generally don't (although I've found that with 1.8.1 mine reinstalled themselves using the Google backup and restore option under privacy settings...that was really cool). You will likely have to reinstall them but you won't lose them. When you go into the Market, instead of "Buy" it will say "Purchased" or something like that and then you click on it and it downloads and installs. I had this with my EA games. I think it might be linked to both your google account and SIM card. I bought my EA games when I was in the US using a T-mobile SIM but I'm in Singapore now and using my Starhub SIM, I can't install the games. I have to pop my old Tmo SIM in and then download using Wifi.

@Stevewt: I can confirm I have the volume issue. I've had it on 151, 161, 170, 180, 181. What I find is that the first time somebody calls or SMSs me after I turn off / on my Streak, it will only vib. After that though, it works fine without me fiddling with it. It just starts working from the second time. I've learned to live with it (and turning off my phone less often!). I haven't had any data connectivity issues though.

Edited by frankquattrone

Guest alexmoi

Anybody have any idea why my streak resets to default ( like a factory reset) when i reboot my streak after several hours of being installed. Started happening only with 1.8.1 but now when i revert to older versions i still get the same problem

Guest alert_bri
Sorry it took so long.

Here is my install.txt file:

volboost

bios

gbkb

density 240

So far so good. Once in a while the OS seems to freak out, but nothing serious. No problems making phone calls.

I'm running setcpu with the scaling smartass setting. 998 max, 245 min.

Thanks - once in a while the OS freaking out doesn't sound awfully stable... but I know what you mean, it sort of goes to what you expect from your device - don't go running your pacemaker off this stuff! :(

I'm running 1113 max, 245 min on smartass - which gives a nice performance boost while giving me 24 hrs battery life.

Cheers

Brian

Guest rebski

Having just been through this exercise last night, I can confirm that all paid apps are shown in Market. There were a few recalcitrant ones which seemed to want paying for again but I dealt with these by restoring/installing via various backups including MyBackup Pro, Titanium and AppMonsterPro.

Yes one would expect that. It seems that I have 158 apps installed (25 Paid and 133 free). My problem is remembering what they all are.

Only just now I have discovered the real use for AppBrain. I had thought of it as a sort of Android Market facility but it actually keeps a log of all your apps, both Paid and Free

http://www.appbrain.com/info/recovering-apps

Just make sure that AppBrain is synched before you wipe your Streak and the list it then produces is a useful aide memoir when it comes to manually re-installing the free apps.

Edited by rebski

Guest fards
Fards,

you are just looking at issues from one perspective point. Unfortunately, world is not turning around you...

oddly that's exactly what people feel about you..

Guest fards
Fards, this was really helpful information. All of your info is, which is what was pushed me to revert to Stock before going to 1.8.1 which seems to have given me a very stable install. Question from your latest comment on the baseband though. I went back to Stock then straight to 1.8.1. I didn't do the update the baseband or the 720p fix since I had done it before and assumed it would stick. Did those get re-written when I went to Stock and should I update them again? If yes, can I update them now after I already installed 1.8.1 or do I need to install to start all over from Stock? Thanks!

the fix is basically froyo comaptible versions of the baseband and dsp1 from the stock rom, so the stock flash will overwrite them with vaild versions, that may have less bugs.. (may have more).. :(

Guest Stevewt
@alexmoi: Contacts and calendar will autopopulate itself but apps generally don't (although I've found that with 1.8.1 mine reinstalled themselves using the Google backup and restore option under privacy settings...that was really cool). You will likely have to reinstall them but you won't lose them. When you go into the Market, instead of "Buy" it will say "Purchased" or something like that and then you click on it and it downloads and installs. I had this with my EA games. I think it might be linked to both your google account and SIM card. I bought my EA games when I was in the US using a T-mobile SIM but I'm in Singapore now and using my Starhub SIM, I can't install the games. I have to pop my old Tmo SIM in and then download using Wifi.

@Stevewt: I can confirm I have the volume issue. I've had it on 151, 161, 170, 180, 181. What I find is that the first time somebody calls or SMSs me after I turn off / on my Streak, it will only vib. After that though, it works fine without me fiddling with it. It just starts working from the second time. I've learned to live with it (and turning off my phone less often!). I haven't had any data connectivity issues though.

Glad to have someone confirm the sound issue. Interestingly I didn't have this issue prior to 1.7.0. The data connectivity issue appears more complicated and users have had variations on the symptoms. Also, some users appear to have been able to eliminate this issue with various forms of re-installs of 1.8.0 or 1.8.1. I haven't been able to clear this one up. Perhaps 1.9.0 will! Thanks for your response frankquattrone!

Guest frankquattrone
the fix is basically froyo comaptible versions of the baseband and dsp1 from the stock rom, so the stock flash will overwrite them with vaild versions, that may have less bugs.. (may have more).. :(

Awesome! Saves me the hassle of resetting everything. Last one. Do you use Gopus battery meter? I love it but don't want to risk any instability. I know Steve mentioned that he removed it because of some issues. Not sure if that is still a problem. Thanks.

Guest superutp

I have observed this problem, forgot to report it and not sure if anyone has reported it before..:(

basically when I get a call, it takes around 2-3 rings before the display lights up and I can answer the call??

Guest Hans A.

How do you get 24 hours without using a battery saving utility?

Even with wifi turned off, I don't think I can get 24 hours.

Thanks - once in a while the OS freaking out doesn't sound awfully stable... but I know what you mean, it sort of goes to what you expect from your device - don't go running your pacemaker off this stuff! :(

I'm running 1113 max, 245 min on smartass - which gives a nice performance boost while giving me 24 hrs battery life.

Cheers

Brian

Guest DelSan

I noticed that the new Music app, after I reflashed stock then 1.8.1 was syncing my music to the web, that was a mega battery drain if yours is suddenly doing worse!

Guest Hans A.

How can I uninstall it? that app doesn't work too well for me. My playlists all say null on it. Also, I don't get any menus to configure anything when I press the menu key.

Found a nice app called Quick Boot that actually reboots the phone. All the ones, I've tried don't work too well.

I noticed that the new Music app, after I reflashed stock then 1.8.1 was syncing my music to the web, that was a mega battery drain if yours is suddenly doing worse!

Guest Hans A.

Yes, I am experiencing that too. At first I would try to turn on the screen, but then I realized that I just had to wait. It's not always though. I wonder if maybe I'm covering up the light sensor by accident. Really easy to do.

I have observed this problem, forgot to report it and not sure if anyone has reported it before..:(

basically when I get a call, it takes around 2-3 rings before the display lights up and I can answer the call??

Guest Hans A.

I had it before, but haven't re-installed it. The one I liked was too small to see the percentage and made the notification bar an ugly purple.

I'm not using Battery Watcher. A widget, but you can shrink it to the size of an application shortcut and put it on the home screen.

I hope in the next release Steve puts back the battery percentage notification. The one in there now really sucks. Your battery can be like 50 percent and the battery graphic read like 80 percent.

Awesome! Saves me the hassle of resetting everything. Last one. Do you use Gopus battery meter? I love it but don't want to risk any instability. I know Steve mentioned that he removed it because of some issues. Not sure if that is still a problem. Thanks.

Guest alexmoi

Ok i uninstalled streakdroid and reinstalled the stock OS of O2 and upgrades it to 2.2. Woke up this morning and my phone was ok.

So i restarted the phone and when i get to just before the logo of O2 i get an error of something in the system file called E2f something like that and telling me to send it back for software debugging(sorry for the light details it just passed fast and takes another 24h to see it again lol). Then loads android back to it's default setting with the android logo to press to go to google singing in. Since 1.8.1 i can't fix this problem. Is there a way to get android installed from scratch. Kinda like a format and reinstall for pc's lol. It's getting irritating to have to reinstall my main apps every day lol.

edit: it did it again...her is the error : /bin/e2fsck -y /dev/block/innersd0p6 file system check returned status 1024

edit 2: just read it might be the inner sd card the prob. I've had it only 2 months tho. has to be somthing else? BTW is the inner sd the same as the 16gb but only 2gb or is it a special one i got to buy in certain stores?

Edited by alexmoi