usb ethernet for the vega

Guest Mickgoodie1

Any ideas if anyone has tested a usb ethernet adapter on the vega?

I dont get wireless in my office and would like to hook my vega up to my lan to stream stuff off the internet.

Something like this off flea bay i had in mind

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/USB-1-RJ45-LAN-Netwo...=item41535a1ccc

I'm also interested in this. Does anyone have one they could try?

Guest trevor432990
Any ideas if anyone has tested a usb ethernet adapter on the vega?

I dont get wireless in my office and would like to hook my vega up to my lan to stream stuff off the internet.

Something like this off flea bay i had in mind

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/USB-1-RJ45-LAN-Netwo...=item41535a1ccc

Don't think anyone has tried this yet and the chances it will work are slim as it will need specific drivers or an Android app to drive the hardware but if you want to give it a go and let us know the results I'm sure we'd all be interested. :huh:

Guest warriorscot

Haven't seen anything but XDA might have some more general android stuff that could help. Problem is that drivers and hardware is the more difficult things to work on and unless a similar device has a driver that iust needs a little tweaking it needs lots of knowledge of botb pieces of hardware and the o.s. which most of us amaateurs aren't going to learn in a guide.

Haven't seen anything but XDA might have some more general android stuff that could help. Problem is that drivers and hardware is the more difficult things to work on and unless a similar device has a driver that iust needs a little tweaking it needs lots of knowledge of botb pieces of hardware and the o.s. which most of us amaateurs aren't going to learn in a guide.

I'm not even at the amateur level so apologise if this is a silly idea. Could the drivers be taken from the Zt-180's? They have ethernet ports (or is it different if it is through usb?).

Guest dbaseii
I'm not even at the amateur level so apologise if this is a silly idea. Could the drivers be taken from the Zt-180's? They have ethernet ports (or is it different if it is through usb?).

This would be excellent. It would allow me to do client network audits using overlook fing

Guest Mickgoodie1

Right who owns or knows someone with a zt-180 then! This would be so cool to get working, but i will have a hunt around the xda forumn as well.

Right who owns or knows someone with a zt-180 then! This would be so cool to get working, but i will have a hunt around the xda forumn as well.

Any luck with this?

Guest dbaseii

I was in the local media markt today and came across a pov mobii that was different to mine. It had a home button like the ipad. Anyway it had a micro usb port for a network connection. But it was running android 2.1

So there must be a way to use a usb to lan adaptor

• 1 month later...
Guest Lupulus

I have managed to get my moschip-based ethernet dongle working, partially. Browser and default mail client work. GMail doesn't work (acknowledges network but won't fetch new mail), Market starts downloading apps but never finishes and GTalk doesn't even try.

Since I am not that familiar with the internal workings of linux, my solution consists of stuff I found on the net MacGyvered together with chewing gum and duct tape.

The short version (which may be useless - if you understand this stuff you probably don't need my help) is basically to build the kernel with these options enabled in the .config:

CONFIG_USB_NET_AX8817X (this is apparently needed even for non-asix devices)

CONFIG_USB_NET_CDC_EEM

CONFIG_USB_NET_MCS7830 (this is the moschip device)

CONFIG_USB_NET_RNDIS_HOST

CONFIG_USB_ANDROID_RNDIS

CONFIG_USB_ANDROID_RNDIS_WCEIS

Then install the kernel and reboot to host mode with the dongle plugged-in. After that, it's a matter of mucking about in a terminal using various combinations of

netcfg (Should show an entry for eth0. If there is no eth0, try dmesg to see if the dongle has been found on usb0 and is assigned eth0)

setprop net.dns1 192.168.0.1 (which is the IP of my router)

dhcpcd

netcfg eth0 dhcp

I have begun writing a more detailed description, but I will be grateful for any helpful pointers* along the way, and if anyone knows how to get GMail, GTalk and market to work properly, I will be very happy indeed.

*except maybe suggesting that I buy a wifi router, as that would interfere terribly with the tinfoil hats of certain family members

• 1 month later...
Guest xaboren
I have managed to get my moschip-based ethernet dongle working, partially. Browser and default mail client work. GMail doesn't work (acknowledges network but won't fetch new mail), Market starts downloading apps but never finishes and GTalk doesn't even try.

Since I am not that familiar with the internal workings of linux, my solution consists of stuff I found on the net MacGyvered together with chewing gum and duct tape.

The short version (which may be useless - if you understand this stuff you probably don't need my help) is basically to build the kernel with these options enabled in the .config:

CONFIG_USB_NET_AX8817X (this is apparently needed even for non-asix devices)

CONFIG_USB_NET_CDC_EEM

CONFIG_USB_NET_MCS7830 (this is the moschip device)

CONFIG_USB_NET_RNDIS_HOST

CONFIG_USB_ANDROID_RNDIS

CONFIG_USB_ANDROID_RNDIS_WCEIS

Then install the kernel and reboot to host mode with the dongle plugged-in. After that, it's a matter of mucking about in a terminal using various combinations of

netcfg (Should show an entry for eth0. If there is no eth0, try dmesg to see if the dongle has been found on usb0 and is assigned eth0)

dhcpcd

netcfg eth0 dhcp

I have begun writing a more detailed description, but I will be grateful for any helpful pointers* along the way, and if anyone knows how to get GMail, GTalk and market to work properly, I will be very happy indeed.

*except maybe suggesting that I buy a wifi router, as that would interfere terribly with the tinfoil hats of certain family members

Since my wifi isn't working I'am really interested in whatever you got working so far, even if should be "just" the browser (that would be totaly awesome btw. ;). I am not a dev though.

Something that might help you, I know there is a dock for the viewsonic Gtablet with an ethernet port, which I think is almoste the same.

link to Ebay

Guest Lupulus

I haven't done anything with the vega for two weeks now, been busy playing with my new phone (galaxy II), but I will get back to it soon enough.

If you tell me which rom you are using and the brand of the dongle, I can make a build so you can try it out.

Since my wifi isn't working I'am really interested in whatever you got working so far, even if should be "just" the browser (that would be totaly awesome btw. ;). I am not a dev though.

Something that might help you, I know there is a dock for the viewsonic Gtablet with an ethernet port, which I think is almoste the same.

link to Ebay

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ju88a

Lupulus have you got any further forward with this? I am interested in trying to get this to work can you post up a firmware somewhere with what you have got working thus far please.

Thanx

ju88a

Guest Lupulus

Sorry, real life has intervened (like midsummer which is a pretty big deal in Sweden).

I'll try to get things moving again :)

In order to get a kernel working I need to know the type and make of dongle, otherwise it won't work.

I can make a build with everything (sort of) built as modules, that way you can start experimenting at least.

Guest ju88a
Sorry, real life has intervened (like midsummer which is a pretty big deal in Sweden).

I'll try to get things moving again :)

In order to get a kernel working I need to know the type and make of dongle, otherwise it won't work.

I can make a build with everything (sort of) built as modules, that way you can start experimenting at least.

Hi Lupulus

Sounds great. Dongle is of chinese origin http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...ht_11216wt_1139. I am creently using Vegacomb as its great for me, but any flavour rom I am happy to test and work on to try to get this working.

I cracked open the dongle and it has 3 chips, LF8505 and two identical looking chips which say SR8201, SR9600. Looks like the LF8505 is the right chip made by Delta, http://www.delta.com.tw/product/cp/telecom...id=2&ssid=1

Let me know if I can be of further assistance and thank you.

ju88a

Edited by ju88a

Guest Lupulus

I couldn't determine which usbnet device to enable in the kernel, so I chose all of them :)

Please try this kernel, it might just work.

Install it the usual way in CWM, "choose a zip file" etc.

Insert the dongle with network plugged in and restart

Unplug and re-plug the dongle

In a terminal, type

su

dmesg

and hopefully there will be a message that the device has been identified and assigned a network interface.

then it's a matter of trying something like

dhcpcd

netcfg eth0 dhcp

And hopefully things will magically start to work. It's not a reliable process, so it may take a few tries.

Gotta go, late for work...

Guest ju88a

thanks, ok so I have tried this both on vegacomb and corvus5. Results are as follows I see the new modules being loaded, the usb is recognised as a network device but it dosent get assigned anything no eth0 for example. Anything I can do to force this to happen?

Also once this has been applied it knocks out the wifi and just says error for wifi, will this be the case a tradeoff eth but no wifi or wifi but no eth?

thanks for your help its much appreciated

Guest Lupulus

I haven't been able to build with working wifi so that's the tradeoff for now. It doesn't have to be, I'm still hoping for someone knowledgeable to give me a few hints.

The kernel is based on corvus kernel so it should work with corvus5.

I also had the situation with "identified but not assigned", but enabling AX8817X when building the kernel solved that for me. It is enabled in the build you tried so that's probably not the cause.

When the device is identified, what manufacturer and ID does it say? I could try building with just the necessary stuff enabled instead of the shotgun approach.

Guest ju88a

<6>[ 428.301238] usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using tegra-ehci and address 3

<6>[ 428.459927] usb 1-1: New USB device found, idVendor=0fe6, idProduct=8101

<6>[ 428.466689] usb 1-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=2, SerialNumber=3

<6>[ 428.473876] usb 1-1: Product: USB Network Controller

<6>[ 428.481455] usb 1-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice

This is what is reported in vegacomb unmodified kernel. I noticed no difference with your modified kernel. One thing I noticed was the ar6000 in your modified files asfaik this relates to an atheros chipset have u tried ur modification without this file?

Vegacomb is halfway there as it recognises the usb correctly as a network interface, now if only it would assign it properly. I have tried to force it with my limited linux ifconfig knowledge but to no affect.

I will try again with corvos but was having a problem with the keyboard not displaying in terminal on that rom.

Thanks j8

Guest Lupulus

I think I have been going about this the wrong way.

Instead of building a new kernel, it's enough to just build the relevant modules and insmod them.

I have attached modules built for corvuskernel_02 and vegacomb 6.

To use them, copy the contents to /system/lib/modules and insmod the right module, then go through the rest.

Step-by-step:

Unzip the modules and copy the contents to /system/lib/modules on the vega

In a terminal, type

insmod <module>

(in my case, "insmod mcs7830.ko". Ju88a, I think yours is a dm9601, going from the vendor and product ID)

Type dmesg. The device should be identified and assigned a network interface.

setprop net.dns1 192.168.0.1 (which is the IP of my router. You could use google's 8.8.8.8 if you want)

dhcpcd

netcfg eth0 dhcp

usbnet_modules_corvuskernel_02.zip

usbnet_modules_vegacomb_6.zip

Edited by Lupulus

Guest xaboren
I think I have been going about this the wrong way.

Instead of building a new kernel, it's enough to just build the relevant modules and insmod them.

I have attached modules built for corvuskernel_02 and vegacomb 6.

To use them, copy the contents to /system/lib/modules and insmod the right module, then go through the rest.

Step-by-step:

Unzip the modules and copy the contents to /system/lib/modules on the vega

In a terminal, type

insmod <module>

(in my case, "insmod mcs7830.ko". Ju88a, I think yours is a dm9601, going from the vendor and product ID)

Type dmesg. The device should be identified and assigned a network interface.

setprop net.dns1 192.168.0.1 (which is the IP of my router. You could use google's 8.8.8.8 if you want)

dhcpcd

netcfg eth0 dhcp

Sounds great, I will try it first thing tomorrow :)

Thanks

Guest ju88a

in vegacomb when inserting the mods I get unknown symbol in module or invalid parameter, which I believe relates to other modules being loaded first for their dependancies. I have tried loading each mod individually I can only get plusb and tun to load all others give the above error. I am currently looking to see what I can use to see what dependancies are needed to load these mods.

Thanks for ur hardwork Lupulus

ju88a

• 10 months later...
Guest Muji12

Hi. New here.

I have a ASIX AX88772 based adaptor. Running HoneyIce, which claims USB ethernet support (but willing to change ROMs if it will make USB ethernet work).

Plugged in adaptor in USB host mode, but nothing happens. Lights on device don't light up.

I tried installing the QuiteThinker driver pack for the ASUS tab (http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1274656) through recovery. It says it installs, but I don't see the asix410.ko from the zip file inside system/lib/modules after install. And when I run "usb_ethernet" in terminal, it says "eth0: interface not found or invalid"

In terminal 'dmesg' picks up the adaptor and says it is there, but doesn't assign eth0.

There's a driver from the manufacturer on this page:

http://www.asix.com....temID=86;71;101

Description: "For Android 1.x/2.x/3.0, Linux kernel 2.6.14 and later"

I downloaded it, but don't know how to install these drivers. File list from the zip:

asix.c

asix.h

axusbnet.c

axusbnet.h

Makefile

readme

How can I actually install these drivers? Or if it's not necessary, how can I get this working?

From Lulupus' step by step:

"Unzip the modules and copy the contents to /system/lib/modules on the vega"

I can't copy asix.ko into modules, because modules is read-only. How did you do this?

Thanks!

Edited by Muji12