TAB + Honeycomb possible?

Guest clockwork_LS

Guest clockwork_LS

I was just wondering if similar to my HTC Hero, the TAB will be quite so amazingly supported of the coming year by moders.

CM7 does not even release a custom Galaxy TAB rom (official), i am starting to worry that 2.2 Froyo will be the highest it will ever go.

Is there someone that is working on getting 3.0 on the TAB?

Guest acolwill
I was just wondering if similar to my HTC Hero, the TAB will be quite so amazingly supported of the coming year by moders.

CM7 does not even release a custom Galaxy TAB rom (official), i am starting to worry that 2.2 Froyo will be the highest it will ever go.

Is there someone that is working on getting 3.0 on the TAB?

Sauce has only *just* been released and I'm 100% sure that it will be posted either here or XDA when someone even starts a Galaxy Tab rom/port

Guest clockwork_LS
Sauce has only *just* been released and I'm 100% sure that it will be posted either here or XDA when someone even starts a Galaxy Tab rom/port

i really hope you are right... i want to have some kind of 3.0 on my tab, even only as an option, as the use of the integrated screen buttons will remove valuable screen real-estate.

i dont know what is best, a Phone like GUI or tablet GUI.

Guest clockwork_LS
I'd be very surprised if whatever Honeycomb port that IS released, will negate the use of the hard-touch buttons in lieu of on-screen buttons.

i hope not negate, but the point is that it will none the less use the screen buttons as they are integrated with the notification bar as well... i guess the TAB is a little confused as to what it should be, phone like or tab like, either was i hope someone ports it soon, my tab works well and i hate that, i need to do stuff to it. plus the nook colour has a honeycomb port, why dont we!!!???!!!

is there hardware acceleration for the UI in Honeycomb?

Guest stevenz
i hope not negate, but the point is that it will none the less use the screen buttons as they are integrated with the notification bar as well... i guess the TAB is a little confused as to what it should be, phone like or tab like, either was i hope someone ports it soon, my tab works well and i hate that, i need to do stuff to it. plus the nook colour has a honeycomb port, why dont we!!!???!!!

Would you like to volunteer YOUR free time to do it free of charge? No? Then don't expect others to do so. At this stage it would appear that there is just no one with the time, inclination, and the hardware to do it. Certainly they're probably waiting for a better collection of sourcecode and drivers so that it's more than just a barely functional hack like the Nook version is.

is there hardware acceleration for the UI in Honeycomb?

Yes. If the drivers support the device hardware.

Guest clockwork_LS
Would you like to volunteer YOUR free time to do it free of charge? No? Then don't expect others to do so.

I really dont think there is any reason to get upset, in no way am I forcing anyone to do anything they dont want to do.

Hard to see why you are so upset, this is a simple thread asking if anyone is porting Honeycomb, and if so what the limitations of Honeycomb are for a device released prior to, and not abiding by, a pure tablet google experience.

Guest stevenz
I really dont think there is any reason to get upset, in no way am I forcing anyone to do anything they dont want to do.

Hard to see why you are so upset, this is a simple thread asking if anyone is porting Honeycomb, and if so what the limitations of Honeycomb are for a device released prior to, and not abiding by, a pure tablet google experience.

Because this:

my tab works well and i hate that, i need to do stuff to it. plus the nook colour has a honeycomb port, why dont we!!!???!!!

Comes across as demanding and whiny. If you didn't want it to appear that way, then a single question mark would've sufficed.

Guest Bazd123

I'd love a Honeycomb port for the Galaxy, some devs have just done one for the ZTE blade and it runs pretty well. If I knew how to port roms then I'd happily give it a go.

Guest hecatae
I'd love a Honeycomb port for the Galaxy, some devs have just done one for the ZTE blade and it runs pretty well. If I knew how to port roms then I'd happily give it a go.

the blade honeycomb port started out as the android sdk system.img and a modified boot.img from a current rom.

you have to split the boot.img then uncompress boot.img-ramdisk.gz

ADD the dnsproxy line in init.rc for netd daemon service

Code:

service netd /system/bin/netd

socket netd stream 0660 root system

socket dnsproxyd stream 0660 root inet <----

Recompress edited ramdisk, rebuild boot.img with correct command line, add to system.img, create an update.zip and it should boot, you would then need to use adb to apply changes

I could probably do this with the boot.img from the TAB MCR, but I would need a config.gz from someone as I dont own a TAB

the needed init.rc changes were found on xda http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.p...mp;postcount=76

Edited by hecatae