Full Multi-Touch Support

Guest denizkoekden

Guest denizkoekden

Hi,

I tried Multitouch at the Advent Vega from a friend (we live in europe so its an PoV Mobii) and it only has Support for 2 Fingers!

I dont know why :/

Wiki says "The capacitive screen has a 1024×600 resolution and supports four-finger multi-touch"...

He has latest MoDaCo Custom Rom Installed to the Tablet, ist this why it doesn't work?

Regards

The Vega only supports two fingers regardless of the Rom installed ...

In all honesty I cant see why needing more than two fingers is going to be a problem 99% of the time

Guest Lennyuk

Before I got the vega I was lead to believe it had 4 finger, but this was only poor advertising/reviewing it does only have 2 finger support, however unless your playing a game it doesn't really make any difference.

Guest worto03

I thought it had 4 finger support too - can't say I've noticed\missed it in the last 3 months, every spec sheet I can find on the internet says 4 finger but the official advent specs never seem to mention it either way.

well that's wrong :) my Desire Z does 4 point touch, and an android device has just been announced with "infinity point multi-touch" although not sure how that works....

Ah well I must be wrong :P I know the way that android deals with multitouch is different to apple, because Apple devices actually detect individual screen touches as separate contact events, whereas Android devices (because of the patent) have to draw vertex points between the multiple touches and calculate the events based on distance etc.

But yea, the Vega is only 2-point touch :huh:

Guest AntiCatalyst
Ah well I must be wrong :P I know the way that android deals with multitouch is different to apple, because Apple devices actually detect individual screen touches as separate contact events, whereas Android devices (because of the patent) have to draw vertex points between the multiple touches and calculate the events based on distance etc.

Wrong again. :huh:

Android detects separate touch events for every finger on the screen.

Just look here

This is the relevant part, an event log of a pinch gesture

1. event ACTION_DOWN[#0(pid 0)=135,179]

2. event ACTION_MOVE[#0(pid 0)=135,184]

3. event ACTION_MOVE[#0(pid 0)=144,205]

4. event ACTION_MOVE[#0(pid 0)=152,227]

5. event ACTION_POINTER_DOWN(pid 1)[#0(pid 0)=153,230;#1(pid 1)=380,538]

6. event ACTION_MOVE[#0(pid 0)=153,231;#1(pid 1)=380,538]

7. event ACTION_MOVE[#0(pid 0)=155,236;#1(pid 1)=364,512]

8. event ACTION_MOVE[#0(pid 0)=157,240;#1(pid 1)=350,498]

9. event ACTION_MOVE[#0(pid 0)=158,245;#1(pid 1)=343,494]

10. event ACTION_POINTER_UP(pid 0)[#0(pid 0)=158,247;#1(pid 1)=336,484]

11. event ACTION_MOVE[#0(pid 1)=334,481]

12. event ACTION_MOVE[#0(pid 1)=328,472]

13. event ACTION_UP[#0(pid 1)=327,471]

pid 0 and 1 are two separate fingers. Note how they are both recorded individually with their own X/Y coordinates.

The apple multi-touch patent thing is a myth at best. Either that or they're just waiting for Android to become a big enough threat before taking any legal action :)

Wrong again. :huh:

Android detects separate touch events for every finger on the screen.

Just look here

This is the relevant part, an event log of a pinch gesture

1. event ACTION_DOWN[#0(pid 0)=135,179]
2. event ACTION_MOVE[#0(pid 0)=135,184]
3. event ACTION_MOVE[#0(pid 0)=144,205]
4. event ACTION_MOVE[#0(pid 0)=152,227]
5. event ACTION_POINTER_DOWN(pid 1)[#0(pid 0)=153,230;#1(pid 1)=380,538]
6. event ACTION_MOVE[#0(pid 0)=153,231;#1(pid 1)=380,538]
7. event ACTION_MOVE[#0(pid 0)=155,236;#1(pid 1)=364,512]
8. event ACTION_MOVE[#0(pid 0)=157,240;#1(pid 1)=350,498]
9. event ACTION_MOVE[#0(pid 0)=158,245;#1(pid 1)=343,494]
10. event ACTION_POINTER_UP(pid 0)[#0(pid 0)=158,247;#1(pid 1)=336,484]
11. event ACTION_MOVE[#0(pid 1)=334,481]
12. event ACTION_MOVE[#0(pid 1)=328,472]
13. event ACTION_UP[#0(pid 1)=327,471][/code]

pid 0 and 1 are two separate fingers. Note how they are both recorded individually with their own X/Y coordinates.

The apple multi-touch patent thing is a myth at best. Either that or they're just waiting for Android to become a big enough threat before taking any legal action :)

I just did some reading up on this, and it appears that what I said was correct... For android 1.0 :-P Proper multitouch support was added after 1.6 it seems!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Nitromouse

Are there some news about multi touch support? I would need this because want to develop an app using more than 2 fingers. Wouldn't it be easy to unlock this in the kernel? Would be nice if anybody would inlcude this in future ROMS.

Michael

Edited by Nitromouse

Guest add.thebad
Are there some news about multi touch support? I would need this because want to develop an app using more than 2 fingers. Wouldn't it be easy to unlock this in the kernel? Would be nice if anybody would inlcude this in future ROMS.

Michael

i think this is a software issuse not a hardware one so it could be done but something would need to be done at the kernel level

Guest Nitromouse
i think this is a software issuse not a hardware one so it could be done but something would need to be done at the kernel level

Yes I know that its a software issue and that is good, because it is solvable. But I am not that kernel guy, don't have an idea of that. That must do someone with knowledge in this area ^^

Guest carl rose
I found this:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=878936

Does anybody know if Vega uses the same controller? Or which touchscreen controller the vega uses?

Michael

It would be great if we could do this with the vega, the ipad has just gained gestures to be back at the home screen in the 4.3 firmware. It would be nice to get something like that in the vega. Saves on the hardware buttons and it would be much more practical