Desire HD seen as 'UNKNOWN DEVICE' in Windows 7.

Guest EZ44

Hello Everyone,

Just got a Telus Branded Desire HD and it won't mount sd, sync, etc... only charges via usb. I have tried all the settings and ticked the 'Ask me' option, enabled usb debugging, reset to factory settings. I am using the supplied HTC original cable and have tried various other micro usb cables such as blackberry, Nokia, and 3 other generic ones. I did have it working once where it tried to do an HTC Sync with my PC but they never connected to each other. I have a MAC and have tried VMWARE, Parallels and Boot Camp installations of XP, and Windows 7 but no luck. Is there something I'm missing or is this port fried??

I'm dying to get a custom rom on this as the stock one is sloooooooooooow. Can't do that as the unit can't be seen by my system so the adb commands won't work.

Thanks for the help.

UPDATE: (Above issue fixed, new problem)

Did a few factory resets and I can get the 'option' to charge, mount, HTC sync, etc. Unfortunately, in Windows 7 (32bit) the phone shows up as 'UNKNOWN DEVICE' in device manager. I have HTC Sync installed, Android SDK with USB drivers, I even hacked the inf file to add the hardware id of the Desire HD with no luck. Does anyone know if the hardware id on the Telus Desire HD is different than USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0CA2&MI_01?? I also flashed back to the original rom in case something got screwed up but no luck. Any help would be appreciated as I'm desperate.

Edited by EZ44

UPDATE:

Did a few factory resets and I can get the 'option' to charge, mount, HTC sync, etc. Unfortunately, in Windows 7 (32bit) the phone shows up as 'UNKNOWN DEVICE' in device manager. I have HTC Sync installed, Android SDK with USB drivers, I even hacked the inf file to add the hardware id of the Desire HD with no luck. Does anyone know if the hardware id on the Telus Desire HD is different than USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0CA2&MI_01?? I also flashed back to the original rom in case something got screwed up but no luck. Any help would be appreciated as I'm desperate.

Guest Nerds 2 You
UPDATE:

Mine worked 100% the first time I plugged it in. Is your Win 7 set to automatically search for drivers from Windows update? I have used mine on several Win 7 and XP machines and it automatically finds the drivers.

I suggest you plug it into a real Win 7 machine to eliminate a problem with the device itself, if it works then you should troubleshoot your virtual machines. Mine works perfectly on my MacBook using bootcamp to Win 7.