Orange Dolphin package

Guest BarryH

Guest BarryH

To my sad misfortune I'm on the Orange network, but only until I've used quite a bit of credit up. I'm on the Dolphin package which gives free internet as part of the deal.

I've got the Fancy Widget weather forecast on my Homescreen and every time the weather updates, it eats my credit. Can anyone advise if this is different from going on the internet? I can't really understand why I'm being charged for this.

Edited by BarryH

Guest Swimmerboy
To my sad misfortune I'm on the Orange network, but only until I've used quite a bit of credit up. I'm on the Dolphin package which gives free internet as part of the deal.

I've got the Fancy Widget weather forecast on my Homescreen and every time the weather updates, it eats my credit. Can anyone advise if this is different from going on the internet? I can't really understand why I'm being charged for this.

Internet is internet - all it's doing is going online and downloading data. This should be included in the Dolphin package.

I'd phone up orange customer services and have them confirm the charges - they'll see exactly what's causing it and if it is data will likely refund the money and fix the issue if you're being incorrectly charged.

Guest Swimmerboy
I had this problem so I ported my number to O2. :huh:

Lol, that's one solution I suppose!

A lot of members (myself included) are favouring GiffGaff though - £10 gets you 250 minutes, unlimited internet and unlimited texts by buying a goodybag </ShamelessPlug>

Guest Azurren

Your Dolphin allowance will take about 2 weeks to transfer to your account.. So until then you will burn through credit before you can say "Orange Sucks!"

Turn data off

And for an added sting in the tail if you have 0 credit before dolphin is applied you can't use it :huh:

Welcome to Orange

Now find a better deal :)

Edited by Azurren

Guest The Soup Thief
Lol, that's one solution I suppose!

A lot of members (myself included) are favouring GiffGaff though - £10 gets you 250 minutes, unlimited internet and unlimited texts by buying a goodybag </ShamelessPlug>

For what it's worth, I'm on vodafone in Ireland

There are two vodafone accesspoint names, "vodafone live" and "vodafone apn"

Connecting through vodafone live gives you 50mb a day for a euro, through vodafone apn it's pennies per kb

If you're using a teeny bit of data in a day, vodafone apn makes best sense. If you're downloading lots, use vodafone live

Unfortunately, sometimes the phone takes it on itself to connect to the one you don't want, which is a pain in the ass, but it ain't so hard to check which it's on

Crosses my mind that Orange might well have similarly different pricing policies for going in through different apns and that maybe the OP is connecting through the wrong one for his data plan

Recommend you ring orange and ask them to tell you how your data is being used / billed - voda were able to tell me about the pricing of the data I was using

My sister initially connected to the same tarriff as you're on, but the person at orange who took her request for this didn't enter it on her account correctly leading to a 250quid bill at the end of the month! After she appealed they sorted it out but it was bloody ridiculous - ring them and check it out

Another suggestion (important to check the above out first obviously). The volume of data munched by fancy widget should be minimal, even if you have it refreshing very often (so I'd suspect your problem is more likely at the Orangey billing end), but it's easy enough just case to get it refreshing less often. On Fancy Widget, touch the bottom left of the widget to get settings. Refresh settings and turn refresh interval right down (once daily?)

Guest Swimmerboy
Your Dolphin allowance will take about 2 weeks to transfer to your account.. So until then you will burn through credit before you can say "Orange Sucks!"

Turn data off

And for an added sting in the tail if you have 0 credit before dolphin is applied you can't use it :huh:

Welcome to Orange

Now find a better deal :)

Really!? Damn, seems like a long wait for what essentially is most likely a checkbox on your account. I can't think of a single technical reason why it would take 2 weeks, is this just so Orange can stiff you?

Guest BarryH

I've just tried to contact Orange "Customer Services" what a waste of time. At best I struggled to hear or understand what the person on the other end was saying. I am no further forward in knowing why Orange should be charging me for using the internet.

With the understanding I was getting nowhere, I eventually asked for a PAC code and the line went dead.

Does anyone know of an Orange number I can contact in the UK or is it possible I will get any help if I call in at an Orange shop?

Edited by BarryH

Guest SqueakyG

While I was using up the Orange credit, I didn't bother with Dolphin at all. I asked them to put me on Raccoon (12p calls to all phones, no monthly topup needed to keep it), and then bought a £5 Extra that gives 250MB of data for a month. This extra was activated very quickly.

Guest BarryH

With great difficulty I got through to Orange again and they say that as I have only recently changed to the Dolphin plan, I have to wait a full month for the Rewards (free internet ect) to become effective.

The more dealings I have with Orange the easier I can understand why over 1.1 million PAYG customers have left in the last year. They are totally useless, I've asked for a PAC code and they say they will send one out within the next five days.

Does anyone know what I can do with the credit I have on the account? I'd rather give it away than let Orange have it.

Guest Konstipated Kiwi
With great difficulty I got through to Orange again and they say that as I have only recently changed to the Dolphin plan, I have to wait a full month for the

Does anyone know what I can do with the credit I have on the account? I'd rather give it away than let Orange have it.

I think if you are in credit then, by definition, you have already paid the money to Orange.

Guest rbbrslmn
With great difficulty I got through to Orange again and they say that as I have only recently changed to the Dolphin plan, I have to wait a full month for the Rewards (free internet ect) to become effective.

The more dealings I have with Orange the easier I can understand why over 1.1 million PAYG customers have left in the last year. They are totally useless, I've asked for a PAC code and they say they will send one out within the next five days.

you could donate it to charity (I gave it to the woodlands trust) or. you could gamble it.

Guest BarryH
you could donate it to charity (I gave it to the woodlands trust) or. you could gamble it.

I'd sooner give it to charity if that's at all possible. Anyone tell me how to do it please?

Guest Swimmerboy
I'd sooner give it to charity if that's at all possible. Anyone tell me how to do it please?

Look for a charity that lets you pay via premium texts would be the easiest option I'd think?

Guest TouchyAndalou

That's weird. I got my phone yesterday, called to activate the sim and Dolphin package, and my free texts and internet had come through within minutes. I didn't even top-up by £10 and the £10 top-up that comes included with the phone hasn't gone through either for some reason (it's probably added once you top-up for the first time)

Incidentally, after a couple of hours of very limited internet browsing, my internet allowance dropped from 100mb to 70.5mb, which seems absurd. How they have the cheek to call that "unlimited" internet is beyond me.

Edited by TouchyAndalou

Guest rbbrslmn

slight mix up, it was the world land trust, not the woodlands trust

http://www.worldlandtrust.org/supporting/sms.htm

there may well be charities your more down with that let you do that but when I was getting rid of my orange credit that was the only one I could find.

Guest TouchyAndalou
Is it marketed as unlimited? According to the website it says "stay social with unlimited texts, email and 500MB internet"

http://www1.orange.co.uk/service_plans/pay...n_overview.html

I'm sure it said unlimited somewhere, but then again maybe not. At any rate, on their website they're saying "For all you fun-loving, sociable types, Dolphin plans give you free internet and unlimited free texts on your phone". "Free internet" is suitably vague for what they're offering, so fair enough I guess. It's also not actually unlimited free texts, it's 300 free texts per £10 top-up a month, although to be fair, this should be sufficient provided you're not a 14-year-old girl.

Guest Ricey155

the Gf is on dolphin and its useless

there are better deals out there to be had giffgaff is my personal favourite O2 have better deals as well

Orange give you nothing

Guest JimJam707

That sucks :S

I don't really know anything about Orange though.

I never even took the sim out of the box and into the phone. Instant Root + CM7 + Unlock + T-Mobile Contract SIM.

Guest Fou-lu

I had orange for 3hrs, trying to rinse the MB, but all.I got was spam texts with smiles, and terrible 3g, switched too good old T-shirt mobile who don't care if go over limit look:

7nhLY.jpg

purchased 5day booster watched 16+ naruto Eps and in 2 days nothing happened? don't go anywhere near orange, T-Mobile/ Giffgaff FTW!

Guest remlap

I am with T-mobile with my Blade too, Orange didn't even had a GSM coverage here so roamed to T-mobile anyway when I was killing my ten quid credit!

I paid the twenty quid and got 6 months internet with "500mb" internet but I am being careful still with my usage even if I've paid for 500mb.

Has a bit of tendency to go to 3G when on HSDPA even though signal levels are very similar.

Guest McrRed
I am with T-mobile with my Blade too, Orange didn't even had a GSM coverage here so roamed to T-mobile anyway when I was killing my ten quid credit!

I paid the twenty quid and got 6 months internet with "500mb" internet but I am being careful still with my usage even if I've paid for 500mb.

Has a bit of tendency to go to 3G when on HSDPA even though signal levels are very similar.

I've just joined Orange for my sins so wish me luck...I think I'm going to need it.

The deal is good on paper: 250mb, ul txts, 50 mins on Dolphin for 10.32ukp a month (oh and a Blade thrown in). They say they don't charge for extra Mb that you use but throttle the service down but so far they've been absolutely hopeless at sorting customer services problems out.

Eg I'd agreed 10.32 with the salesman. Sold.

Got a bill later in the week for 15.32. Now they want ME to get in touch with the salesman to verify the offer. Errr, clue: he's in YOUR organisation. YOU call him! Anyway I guess I'm looking forward to plenty of the same in my time with Orange given all the horror stories I'm starting to hear.

Kinda miss good old Virgin Mobile.

My daughter's on GiffGaff. Ok service.

They've extended the free internet to April now but haven't confirmed any extra extensions after that.

You just have to watch which Goody Bag you choose as some only work if you buy credit as well. Other than that, simples...

Guest vermat17
the Gf is on dolphin and its useless

there are better deals out there to be had giffgaff is my personal favourite O2 have better deals as well

Orange give you nothing

Yeh, I was having a look at O2 as well.

For a tenner they give you 300 free texts, 500mb internet and you can use their wif-fi hotspots free as well.

Not bad, I'm considering changing. I hear vodafone have got similar deals as well...