i have some questions

Guest iKrautDroid

Guest iKrautDroid

1. How can i make flashable zips to replace system files?

2. Where do i place boot animations? In system/media or in data local?

3. If i free space in system, do i have more space in data (for installing apps? Or are they set partitions?

Edited by iKrautDroid

Guest eckengucker1

download an update file, edit the update file with the destination and add your files. Zip it and there you go...

Edited by eckengucker1

Guest iKrautDroid
download an update file, edit the update file with the destination and add your files. Zip it and there you go...

now that wasnt very detailed!

But i found this on xda:

forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=732957

oops!

Edited by iKrautDroid

Guest twrock

1. Download the DE mod I made. Open /META-INF/com/google/android/update-script and you will begin to see how things work. Study it until you understand what it is doing. Alternatively, find a simple file installer that someone else made and then replace the files in /system/* with whatever you want. Try this one.

2. Put it where it was before, in /system/media/bootanimation.zip. Again, you will see one in the DE mod I made. Just replace it with what you want instead.

Edited by twrock

Guest Fusion0306

3. If i free space in system, do i have more space in data (for installing apps? Or are they set partitions?

I honestly think that you shouldn't continue with your plan because you don't know the basics. And I'm not talking about the 1st question. NHF

Guest iKrautDroid
I honestly think that you shouldn't continue with your plan because you don't know the basics. And I'm not talking about the 1st question. NHF

i will never get discouraged!

If you dont want to help, could you at least tell me where to read up on the so called basics?

Guest mikeb90

If you dont want to help, could you at least tell me where to read up on the so called basics?

GREAT ANSWER! ù_ù

Edited by mikeb90

Guest Fusion0306

Ok. Good luck. You'll get the basics by hanging on the forum.. That's how we al did.

Oh, and you can search it too.

1. Boot animations are located in system/media (you can find that out by searching the board with phrase "animation", but I guess it's easier to just ask and rely on other people's good will when you have none to try to find it yourself).

2. No, system is system, data is data. Those are two separate partitions on our phones. It's common sense... For me and everybody else, anyways.

For someone who's asking for help without researching the problem yourself, you're quite rude.

Did people try to help you?

YES:

1. Download the DE mod I made. Open /META-INF/com/google/android/update-script and you will begin to see how things work. Study it until you understand what it is doing. Alternatively, find a simple file installer that someone else made and then replace the files in /system/* with whatever you want. Try this one.

2. Put it where it was before, in /system/media/bootanimation.zip. Again, you will see one in the DE mod I made. Just replace it with what you want instead.

And what did they get? I don't know. But I know what they DIDN'T get: THANK YOU

Is that nice?

No?

So why should we be helpful and nice to you?

Just saying.

Good luck with your ROM... Really!

Guest eckengucker1
Ok. Good luck. You'll get the basics by hanging on the forum.. That's how we al did.

Oh, and you can search it too.

1. Boot animations are located in system/media (you can find that out by searching the board with phrase "animation", but I guess it's easier to just ask and rely on other people's good will when you have none to try to find it yourself).

2. No, system is system, data is data. Those are two separate partitions on our phones. It's common sense... For me and everybody else, anyways.

For someone who's asking for help without researching the problem yourself, you're quite rude.

Did people try to help you?

YES:

And what did they get? I don't know. But I know what they DIDN'T get: THANK YOU

Is that nice?

No?

So why should we be helpful and nice to you?

Just saying.

Good luck with your ROM... Really!

Nothing more than: sign! Everyone here found it out be googleing (does this word exists?^^) and of cause trying. Through the fact that you can't really brick your phone you can try everything as long as you don't forget to backup...

Guest iKrautDroid

im very sorry if you feel insulted by me! I dont mean to hurt anybodys feelings.

I need to learn the basics and you seem to know them.

Id love to pick up the basics by hanging around the forum, but nobody talks about them anymore!

Searching doesnt work because i honestley dont know what to search for.

And now, something i owe you all:

a big fat

Thank you!

Guest twrock
im very sorry if you feel insulted by me! I dont mean to hurt anybodys feelings.

I need to learn the basics and you seem to know them.

Id love to pick up the basics by hanging around the forum, but nobody talks about them anymore!

Searching doesnt work because i honestley dont know what to search for.

And now, something i owe you all:

a big fat

Thank you!

:(

Yes, it is hard to get started. I remember that I started a year ago trying to figure out how to make a nandroid backup of my phone without changing the rom in any way. (I was terrified of losing my warranty.) I promptly messed that plan up because I didn't understand the difference between booting recovery and flashing recovery! :( People were telling me, but I didn't even understand the "language" they were speaking ("computerese"). It can be a steep learning curve for people without any real computer/programming background. But, now, you can feel pretty assured that you can get out of any mess you get into with all the tools and help available.

Keep at it. It will eventually make sense.

Guest iKrautDroid
:(

Yes, it is hard to get started. I remember that I started a year ago trying to figure out how to make a nandroid backup of my phone without changing the rom in any way. (I was terrified of losing my warranty.) I promptly messed that plan up because I didn't understand the difference between booting recovery and flashing recovery! :( People were telling me, but I didn't even understand the "language" they were speaking ("computerese"). It can be a steep learning curve for people without any real computer/programming background. But, now, you can feel pretty assured that you can get out of any mess you get into with all the tools and help available.

Keep at it. It will eventually make sense.

im not a noob when it comes to using custom roms.

And i also have learned that there isnt a thing like a bricked device unless you are very uncareful!

But i have lots of questions about rom making.

So heres one more:

if system is a fixed partition, how do i know its size?

Guest iKrautDroid

New question:

I added oi file manager and advanced task killer free to the system app of my rom. flashed it and i cant find the apps.

do they have to be in data app?

Guest iKrautDroid
New question:

I added oi file manager and advanced task killer free to the system app of my rom. flashed it and i cant find the apps.

do they have to be in data app?

fixed! .apks in system shouldnt have spaces in their names!

Guest twrock
fixed! .apks in system shouldnt have spaces in their names!

Remember as you think this through. You want apps in /system/app that are:

1. most "necessary" (or at least most people will consider them necessary)

2. most likely not to immediately change (they don't get updated quite so frequently) (As an aside, Google updated Gmail while I was finishing f0.3.2, so I got the update in there at the last second; BUT then they updated again in less than 24 hours with a version to fix some bug in the last update; try as you like, this kind of thing just happens.)

Of course if you are building a rom only for personal use, you can install some obscure app there that no one else wants. Who cares; it's your rom, do what you lke. But filling up /system with apps that the majority of people don't want and can't then figure out how to get rid of, is probably not making the best use of the space there.

On the other hand, this is a good reason to base you rom on the space available in the official rom with the smallest /system partition. That way you haven't wasted any data space. (Smaller /system will mean larger /data.) When I started modding the CM rom, the old UK 2.1 official had the smallest /system partition of the commonly used roms, so that was "optimal" (IMHO). But if someone is now building a newer rom, it might be best to consider using the limits of the new DE or UK official roms. That way you won't have people who don't read the instructions whining about the Market not working after they install your rom. :( (Ok, I admit, that wasn't very nice.)

Guest iKrautDroid
Remember as you think this through. You want apps in /system/app that are:

1. most "necessary" (or at least most people will consider them necessary)

2. most likely not to immediately change (they don't get updated quite so frequently) (As an aside, Google updated Gmail while I was finishing f0.3.2, so I got the update in there at the last second; BUT then they updated again in less than 24 hours with a version to fix some bug in the last update; try as you like, this kind of thing just happens.)

Of course if you are building a rom only for personal use, you can install some obscure app there that no one else wants. Who cares; it's your rom, do what you lke. But filling up /system with apps that the majority of people don't want and can't then figure out how to get rid of, is probably not making the best use of the space there.

On the other hand, this is a good reason to base you rom on the space available in the official rom with the smallest /system partition. That way you haven't wasted any data space. (Smaller /system will mean larger /data.) When I started modding the CM rom, the old UK 2.1 official had the smallest /system partition of the commonly used roms, so that was "optimal" (IMHO). But if someone is now building a newer rom, it might be best to consider using the limits of the new DE or UK official roms. That way you won't have people who don't read the instructions whining about the Market not working after they install your rom. :( (Ok, I admit, that wasn't very nice.)

The old official 2.1 didnt work for me (wifi didnt work)

I also think poeple can deal with a file manager and a task manager because lots of new phones come with them installed.

I also need somebodys opinion:

Should i leave roadsync in my rom? Isnt it useless because 2.1 supports microsoft exchange?

But im not really sure.

Please help

Thanks in advance :(

Guest twrock
The old official 2.1 didnt work for me (wifi didnt work)

I also think poeple can deal with a file manager and a task manager because lots of new phones come with them installed.

I also need somebodys opinion:

Should i leave roadsync in my rom? Isnt it useless because 2.1 supports microsoft exchange?

But im not really sure.

Please help

Thanks in advance :(

The answer to the wifi problem was in the post I linked to in the JMOD thread. The answer was there if you read it carefully. You can also go back in that thread and see the string of posts where we discuss that and other issues. But you've got to do your homework. :(

The rest of what you do or don't put in a rom is really just your own decision.

Guest iKrautDroid
The answer to the wifi problem was in the post I linked to in the JMOD thread. The answer was there if you read it carefully. You can also go back in that thread and see the string of posts where we discuss that and other issues. But you've got to do your homework. :(

The rest of what you do or don't put in a rom is really just your own decision.

My rom is getting better and i started testing it.

I have enabled mobile but i cant get a connection.

Help

Guest twrock
Edit: I installed twrocks starter kit and i cant get data working either.

please help (twrock)!

Which one? I don't have a lot of faith in those two roms. Seriously.

No mobile?! That's a serious problem. A phone needs to have mobile. :(

But really, there is no way I'm going to know what you have or haven't done while trying to build your rom. Some of this is complicated. I have a hard enough time figuring out what I did wrong when I'm the one doing it.

I can not over-emphasize that you go back and carefully read that post I linked to and also the whole string of stuff that we were discussing back then. It was a lot of hard work for a couple of noobs to get this stuff working, and that was with Flibblesan's significant help. Also, don't try to do too much at one time. If you make too many changes, you can't figure out what caused the problems.

If you have your kitchen set up correctly, things should work out fairly routinely. However, if you don't know how to copy wpa_isupplicant.conf where it belongs, forget about having a working wifi. That information is in that post too. But I never ran into no mobile at all. That's a whole lot bigger problem.

I've got a working UK2.1 mod, but I'm not sure I'm happy with it, even enough to release it as a beta for people to play with. I still get acore warnings on the first boot and I haven't even touched the horrid Contacts app. I think maybe I'll build it again and leave out the swap kernel and lowmem killer tweaks this time. Choices, choices.