I almost bought one today....

Guest zongamin

Guest zongamin

I just got back from the store, where I'd reserved one for collection... but I decided not to buy it.

For me the screen was a huge let down for two reasons

- Resolution - it seems too pixelated - I know 1024*600 is the same as other 10in models but its just seems too low

- Colours - contrast is really poor, black seems to be a washed out grey at best

So I've left the shop empty handed - I really wanted to get one, now I feel almost sure I don't!

Guest Lennyuk
I just got back from the store, where I'd reserved one for collection... but I decided not to buy it.

- Resolution - it seems too pixelated - I know 1024*600 is the same as other 10in models but its just seems too low

- Colours - contrast is really poor, black seems to be a washed out grey at best

So I've left the shop empty handed - I really wanted to get one, now I feel almost sure I don't!

Testing in store is not always a good idea, you get an impression based on a dodgy stock firmware that can be drastically improved by flashing any custom rom.

Did you try to adjust the brightness level on the screen at all, this dramatically improves the colours. The screen looks fantastic when you get the brightness level correct (and look from a good angle).

I think you may have made a mistake judging it so quick.

Guest thedicemaster

too pixelated?

you sure you looked at things other than the wallpaper? it has a pretty crappy default wallpaper and gallery3D can't apply high-res wallpapers properly.

Guest jellywobbles

Shame you didnt watch a movie or some good video. I saw one yesterday in my local PC World & though how crappy it was - even commented to the salesman. The Modaco mods transform it! :(

Guest harrypea

What did you expect us to say "You are so right i wasted £250" :(

Your loss exactly.

The vega is the most used bit of tech in my house and has so far perfomed brilliantly with the aid of Paul's roms obviously :(

Guest BitHeroes

I love my Vega and it was definitely worth the €299 I paid.

I think the screen looks relatively sharp at 1024x600, and the colors really pop with the brightness set at a decent level. I will admit the viewing angles aren't great, but Tablets are really a one user experience, and I almost always use mine from a head on view.

Guest zongamin
What did you expect us to say "You are so right i wasted £250" :(

Your loss exactly.

The vega is the most used bit of tech in my house and has so far perfomed brilliantly with the aid of Paul's roms obviously :(

I tried a couple of videos on youtube and iplayer - they looked good, but it was the browser text that looked a bit too 'chunky' for me - BBC News site in particular - strange font rendering?

It's still on reserve, so I'll go back in tomorrow for another look.

What kind of Brightness gets the best level of contrast - 1/2 - 3/4?

Guest BitHeroes
I tried a couple of videos on youtube and iplayer - they looked good, but it was the browser text that looked a bit too 'chunky' for me - BBC News site in particular - strange font rendering?

It's still on reserve, so I'll go back in tomorrow for another look.

What kind of Brightness gets the best level of contrast - 1/2 - 3/4?

TBH, I run the backlight at 100%, and get around 5 hours of heavy usage. With the backlight at 50% I see about 6-7 hours.

Guest warriorscot

Quarter to a third brightness is what works for me most of the time although I will crank it up to half or just a little more from some things. Full power is too bright for me actually it makes it difficult to look at the vega at times.

Guest Cant-think-of-one

I was actually expecting a fairly crappy screen for the price, but am extremely impressed by how sharp it is!

Photo's and video look fantastic IMO

Guest IndyUK

If you do reconsider, make sure you test out the on-screen typing. I have big problems when typing as the screen is faulty which causes key presses to "stick". Other than this it's a very good tablet. Fingers crossed that we may get Honeycomb ported to it.

Guest surly cat
If you do reconsider, make sure you test out the on-screen typing. I have big problems when typing as the screen is faulty which causes key presses to "stick". Other than this it's a very good tablet. Fingers crossed that we may get Honeycomb ported to it.

The sticky default keyboard is a known issue and almost every Modaco-reading Vega-owner is using a third-party keyboard. I myself am using SlideIT Keyboard (which even in ABC/tap mode almost never sticks), because I prefer sliding to tapping.

There are also two excellent non-sliding keyboards worth considering: the very fast and convenient-to-use SwiftKey Keyboard, and the popular but somewhat over-rated Smart Keyboard Pro.

For me, installing an alternative keyboard is one of the first things I do after upgrading the tablet's ROM (to Paul's latest MCR release, of course). Incidentally, several other apps I always install (and wouldn't use my Vega without) are: ADW Launcher, ASTRO File Manager, Dolphin Browser HD, Droid Comic Viewer, ezPDF Reader, mVideoPlayer Pro, My Fake Location, Task Switcher, TuneIn Radio, and Wi-Fi Status Bar Switch.

Guest surly cat

Can't agree with the OP's criticisms about resolution, colour and contrast. I've always considered the Vega to be very good in these areas. It uses LCD technology (same as laptops and netbooks), so the screen is obviously not going to be as good as more recent (and more expensive) technology, such as Super AMOLED.

I've found the optimal brightness to be about 30%.

Edited by surly cat

Guest schprlock

Actually, the problem is not that the screen is TFT (Galaxy tab and iPad have great TFT screens), but it is TFT TN (Twisted Neumatic). It's not the latest breakthroug in screens... It works ok in laptops, because you set the screen angle and keep it, but it doesn't work so well in a tablet.

Resolution is pretty good, it works good, might be a problem when and if we get Honeycomb (and might be a reason you don't, but I am guessing we will).

A bigger problem, which was mentioned, is the capacitive touchscreen in some units. I get long presses over the letter 'o' in landscape and the eventual double tap.

Still, I got my Vega from eBay when it was not available. Paid €377 for it, quite a lot more than it costs. All I can tell you is that it was the best spent €377 in my life!

You won't get anything close for a long time unless you pay double the price (did you see the galaxy tab? Quite expensive and the processor seems like 10 year old technology - although it isn't - in comparison). Unless you go for an iPad and loose all the flexibility and power of android, I can tell you you won't find a better deal. Unless money is no issue, and in that case you can wait for the Motorola Xoom or the Galaxy Tab 10.1", but still I think the money they will cost is too much, considering they will be replaced in a matter of months. That's the thing with technology nowadays.

Guest stevesilk51

I have recently taken delivery of a Notion Ink ADAM and expected it to be a huge upgrade on my Vega.

NOT so, however.

The Adam whilst having more memory, all the ports you would wish for, GPS (which I can't get going, yet), actually is not that much better. IMHO so far, the Vega stands up very well. The screen is almost as good as the Adam, viewing angle is slightly better on the Adam and no doubt as apps become available Adam may shine. But I am keeping my Vega, I've grown attached to it, have learnt a lot from it and would recommend it simply for the fun you have modding.

Also MODACO is by far and away the best support forum out there. I truly wish they will open an Adam section.

Guest bhargav27

Steve,

May I ask how much did you pay for you Adam. I've registered for the next batch and am definitely buying a Vega tomorrow from the airport. But wanted to know how much Adam costs (incl shipping).

Cheers,

Bhargav

I have recently taken delivery of a Notion Ink ADAM and expected it to be a huge upgrade on my Vega.

NOT so, however.

The Adam whilst having more memory, all the ports you would wish for, GPS (which I can't get going, yet), actually is not that much better. IMHO so far, the Vega stands up very well. The screen is almost as good as the Adam, viewing angle is slightly better on the Adam and no doubt as apps become available Adam may shine. But I am keeping my Vega, I've grown attached to it, have learnt a lot from it and would recommend it simply for the fun you have modding.

Also MODACO is by far and away the best support forum out there. I truly wish they will open an Adam section.

Guest stevesilk51
Steve,

May I ask how much did you pay for you Adam. I've registered for the next batch and am definitely buying a Vega tomorrow from the airport. But wanted to know how much Adam costs (incl shipping).

Cheers,

Bhargav

$525 inc. for the LCD 3g model. Didn't ask for VAT at least not yet :(

Guest bhargav27
$525 inc. for the LCD 3g model. Didn't ask for VAT at least not yet :(

Thanks! That is certainly not cheap, however it is a powerful piece of hardware. I guess I'll stick with the Vega at the moment!

Guest waj1234

Its a good bit kit but think I am gonna sell mine and my San Fran and get an HTC desire HD to replace them as I find it too big and no more usefully than my phone.

Guest guisoris
Steve,

Cheers,

Bhargav

Do you know the price from the airpor? I´m flying next week and I don´t know if wait or go to pc world.

Thanks

Guest bhargav27
Thank you, I will wait and buy it at gatwich.

Dixon offer a call and reserve service. I used it to avoid disappointment. When I reached the shop yesterday I did not see them on display so I guess mine was probably the last piece left! Just google dixon airport and you will find it.

BTW just installed r8 and loving it!

Guest Pig_Vomit

Had a play with the demo vega in pc world. To be honest it was horrible and i could not see them selling any off the back of it.

It was midday and the sceen was nigh on impossible to see.

Thank god i has been lurking here for a few days earlier and bought on the strength of the views in this forum. :D

Viewing angle is tricky but other than that its the best £250 spent in a long time. Screen res is better than my netbook that its replacced. Got it home installed latest rom and started playing with apps.

Currently lying on the sofa with my vega replying to this thread(and laughing at the wife fighting with her laptop & burning her legs)