CM7 Wifi Tethering

Guest wbaw

harry_m posted how to do this, but it's buried in the middle of a long & obsolete thread.

I've produced a zip file that you can flash with Clockwork, it includes all the necessary files, so you don't need adb, or a 2.2 rom, or a command line, or any other downloads. It includes the latest 3.0 experimental version 11 of wifi-tether & installs it to /system along with hostapd from the Japanese Jellyfish 9 rom, along with hostapd_cli & hostapd_wps from the same rom.

Original post is quoted below for people that like to do things the hard way.

How you get wifi-tethering (mobile hotspot) on CM7 ...

1.) You need the "hostapd"-binary from any 2.2-rom (for the zte blade) - it's located in /system/bin (extract it from a update-zip-file).

2.) Now copy the hostapd-binary to /system/bin

adb remount

adb push hostapd /system/bin/.

adb shell chmod 0755 /system/bin/hostapd
3.) Install wifi/wireless-tether from the google-code page - I recommend the latest experimental version (version 3): http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/downloads/list This version comes with/supports a toggle-widget, infrastructure/master-mode, wpa-encryption, access-control ... and other useful stuff like mss clamping ... IT'S NOT AD-HOC!
adb install wifi_tether_v3_0-pre5.apk

I'm sure it will be integrated into CM7 soon ... but in the meantime ...

Happy Tethering!

md5sum:

29d650df0d26cc45cd3fb765f3b9cc99 wifi_tether.zip

wifi_tether.zip

Edited by wbaw

Guest Swimmerboy
harry_m posted how to do this, but it's buried in the middle of a long & obsolete thread.

I've produced a zip file that you can flash with Clockwork, it includes all the necessary files, so you don't need adb, or a 2.2 rom, or a command line, or any other downloads. It includes the latest 3.0 experimental version 11 of wifi-tether & installs it to /system along with hostapd from the Japanese Jellyfish 9 rom, along with hostapd_cli & hostapd_wps from the same rom.

Original post is quoted below for people that like to do things the hard way.

md5sum:

29d650df0d26cc45cd3fb765f3b9cc99 wifi_tether.zip

Thanks for this - for some reason didn't work for me to start with but changing the 'Setup method' in settings to 'Hostapd (master)' solved this. :(

Guest The Soup Thief

Nice!

I'm not able to fiddle with extracting files from the whole 2.2 firmware right now - you've just saved me a right bit of mither!

Cheers :(

Edited by The Soup Thief

Guest tdroza

You sir, are a star!

I installed my first CM ROM yesterday (been on Paul's MCR until now) and wifi tethering was the one thing missing - I don't often use it but it's super useful on the odd occasion when I do need it.

Thanks!

Guest hedgepigdaniel

Thanks a million

This fix also works much faster than the native tethering in 2.2. I can get internet on my computer as fast as I can on my phone, and the phone seems to heat up much less too.

• 1 month later...
Guest ScrappySn

So I followed all instructions and the .zip ran fine on my HTC EVO with CM7. After pushing start tethering, my computer will recognize the Android Tether network, but will not grant internet access. I can see the "Tethering or Hotspot Active" notification, but when I try to select the portable Wi-Fi hotspot box my phone crashes. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, any help would be awesome!

Edit: Alrighty, so I fiddled with alot of the options and finally got the tether to broadcast to my laptop with internet access. It worked when I changed the Setup-Method to WEXT(ad-hoc); however, I now get two fails in the Show Log:

1. Setting ad-hoc mode...

failed

2. Setting channel...

failed

I know the original post says "IT'S NOT AD-HOC!" but this is the only way I could get the program to stay on without crashing. Still running the CM7 mod with the stock kernel. Again, any help would be awesome!

Edited by ScrappySn

• 2 months later...