N64oid!

Guest HunteronX

Guest HunteronX
Jaw drops

In fact it's so good that I've disabled frameskip.

When I tested Super Mario 64 it ran TOO fast!

So I asked the developer to add a framelimiter. Lol...

When I tried out Banjo-Kazooie, the game ran smoothly on both the Vega and my Xperia X10 as well!

I'm really quite surprised at this. :(

EDIT: When testing super smash bros. there was slowdown at times, and like with Super Mario 64, the sound was crackly and the pitch was wrong too. But this is still a brilliant first release.

Edited by HunteronX

Guest premieral
In fact it's so good that I've disabled frameskip.

When I tested Super Mario 64 it ran TOO fast!

So I asked the developer to add a framelimiter. Lol...

When I tried out Banjo-Kazooie, the game ran smoothly on both the Vega and my Xperia X10 as well!

I'm really quite surprised at this. :(

EDIT: When testing super smash bros. there was slowdown at times, and like with Super Mario 64, the sound was crackly and the pitch was wrong too. But this is still a brilliant first release.

banjo kazooie was very very slow on my vega, but super mario 64 was indeed too fast , looking forward to trying more games, great find

Guest Sanddancer75
Are there any (Bluetooth or USB) Gamepads working?

You can use a Wii remote with it. Once you get that set up you can plug a Classic Controller into that for more buttons & analogue sticks.

Guest Minimonkey
You can use a Wii remote with it. Once you get that set up you can plug a Classic Controller into that for more buttons & analogue sticks.

That's my night sorted!

Guest schprlock
Are there any (Bluetooth or USB) Gamepads working?

That's the kind of question that google can answer really well, but I can too, so here it goes:

If you have a Wiimote, that's probably the way to go.

If you don't, or if you value portability and a great analogue stick, Zeemote is amazing (http://www.zeemote.com/). It works with all the emulators (at least the ones I tried), because they support key input. You can use an utility like GamePro, or even better (free and with better diagonals), Bluez IME. I haven't tried these utilities in my Vega, but they work great in my Galaxy S. Zeemote is analogue and some games support it directly. Not many, though.

If you have a phone (or something phone sized), GameGripper looks good too (never tried it).

The big problem is the fact that nobody cares about playability anymore. People just want great graphics and they use on-screen controls or accelerometer. Even otherwise amazing games are next to unplayable, but nobody cares if controlling them is like operating a car with a calculator keyboard. Talk about HCI...

I understand that developing for Zeemote requires an API, some knowhow (not much) and maybe even a little cash (not sure). But the zeemote can emulate hardware keys with the above apps. I don't develop for Android bu I am a developer, and I know that adding support for keyboard (and many devices have keyboards, plus you can use bluetooth, USB keyboards or the above mentioned utilities) takes 5 to 10 minutes. It drives me crazy that keyboard input is not even considered. That's why neither iPhone nor Android will ever be a replacement for a console. But still people don't care about consoles anymore (http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/03/ce-oh-no-he-didnt-ngp-will-be-dead-on-arrival-says-ngmoco/).

Sorry for the long post that mostly nobody cares about. I am feeling better now, though.

Guest schprlock
So is the consensus that I should buy a Zeemote for my vega?

The Zeemote is great, I can tell you that. Great concept, great price, great experience. But as I said, there is not much support at all.

If you mainly want to use emulators (they work fine with hardware input devices), you might prefer a digital controller instead of an analogue one. If you want to play other games (Kill them all, Antigen Outbreak, Deadly Chambers, and some others), then I can really recommend the Zeemote.

Anyway, as I said, I know the Zeemote works on my Galaxy S, I'm not sure if it works on the Vega (my bluetooth keyboard works fine on the Galaxy but not on the Vega...).

I will check it out for you and I will let you know.

Guest Lennyuk
The Zeemote is great, I can tell you that. Great concept, great price, great experience. But as I said, there is not much support at all.

If you mainly want to use emulators (they work fine with hardware input devices), you might prefer a digital controller instead of an analogue one. If you want to play other games (Kill them all, Antigen Outbreak, Deadly Chambers, and some others), then I can really recommend the Zeemote.

Anyway, as I said, I know the Zeemote works on my Galaxy S, I'm not sure if it works on the Vega (my bluetooth keyboard works fine on the Galaxy but not on the Vega...).

I will check it out for you and I will let you know.

Well I planned to use it for games like SpeedX as well as emulators like N64oid

If you could test it on the vega before I purchase it would be fanstatic, thanks.

Guest schprlock
Well I planned to use it for games like SpeedX as well as emulators like N64oid

If you could test it on the vega before I purchase it would be fanstatic, thanks.

I can confirm it works just fine. I only tried it with Bluez IME (I like the diagonals better than GamePro and it's free). When I tried the first time my Vega became unresponsive to the point I had to reset it. But after the reset it was working properly.

If you have any problems you can try GamePro and follow the advices here: http://code.google.com/p/android-bluez-ime...ues/detail?id=3. You may also consider disabling WiFi, as it's been known to interfere with Bluetooth.

Check it out for yourself: Video on Youtube

I hope we get a lot of game support (and the emulators are a lot, already. It's just a pitty that great games that are becoming available don't support it).

Best of luck

Edited by schprlock

Guest Sir Gash

This may seem silly, but does anyone know if it is possible to use 2 Zeemote's at the same time? It seems to lack enough buttons for most emulators (PSX, N64 etc.) so it would be cool to use 2 at the same time. I downloaded Bluez IME to see if I could find such an option but couldn't find anything in there.

If I can find my old N64 controller and Adaptoid USB adapter, I might give Gamepad IME another go with N64oid! :(

Guest schprlock
This may seem silly, but does anyone know if it is possible to use 2 Zeemote's at the same time? It seems to lack enough buttons for most emulators (PSX, N64 etc.) so it would be cool to use 2 at the same time. I downloaded Bluez IME to see if I could find such an option but couldn't find anything in there.

If I can find my old N64 controller and Adaptoid USB adapter, I might give Gamepad IME another go with N64oid! :(

I think that won't be possible because neither Bluez IME nor GamePro have options for two Zeemotes.

I try to use the three Zeemote buttons (the 4th is mapped as start) and for many games that is enough. In some situations you can create profiles for different games. For the other, I keep the on-screen controls and use them only when I need them.

Guest TerryH

Thank you for this wonderful clarification! I have a PS3 controller but until the driver will be ported from a guy on XDA I'll try the Zeemote as alternative!

Guest Lennyuk
Am I right in thinking this emulator comes with a selection of games OR do they have to be found elsewhere?

The app "Rom Gripper + +" will sort all your n64 rom needs (and is a free app)

• 2 weeks later...