Trying to get back to stock AT&T

Guest wbracken

Guest wbracken

Hey everyone. Been lurking on the board here for awhile now. Got my Dell AT&T Streak several months ago and like most was horrified that it was only 1.6. I have been following and steadily upgrading to DJ Steves 2.2 ROM since the first release.

Now that the official 2.2 is out I wanted to give it a try just to compare. I have followed the upgrading and downgrading thread several time in the past to get back to stock 1.6 for one reason or another and it has always worked for me. I am currently on 1.8.1 of DJ Steves build and a few days ago tried to once again going back to Stock 1.6.

I downgraded successfully to the O2 2.1 build from Steves 1.8.1

I downgraded successfully to the O2 1.6 build

Successfully downgraded the baseband (tried with and without doing this in my multiple attempts described below but made no different in the long run)

After rooting, mounting the system with RW, adding the system files, and flashing the recovery rom I could never get it downgrade to 1.6 AT&T. Everytime I used the recovery img required to get to AT&T I would boot while holding the volume keys and when selecting Update from Update.zip on the Sdcard (whatever the actual verbiage is, sorry dont have my phone in front of me at the moment) it would make the ding in Windows like the device was disconnected and just sit at the backlit blank screen.

I redownloaded every file from every link available from the thread links and no matter what it always stalled at this step. If I update to a different version of the recovery img I could get it to at least reboot and then fail due the FETA version mismatch or whatever that verbiage is. As soon as I put it back to the required recovery it always goes back to the blank screen. I performed factory resets before and after trying multiple times to no avail.

After about 5 hours of trying to different downloads of the same files (redownloaded the system files, recovery image and even different version of fastboot) I finally gave up and flashed back to 1.8.1 of DJ Steves rom. As stated at the beginning I have done this several times in the past from earlier versions of Steves ROM so I am 99% sure I am following the steps correctly. The only deviation from the instructions is I use the Andriod terminal to mount the system with RW and use the cat command to copy the 3 systems files to their respective locations (system/etc/bin) since Root Explorer is a $4.00 app in the market. I did however use terminal before to perform the downgrade successfully so dont think that has any bearing on it.

I'm OK with running this ROM (big props to steve for all his awesome work, only bug I have seen for me in the last few builds is the camcorder crashes) however I am concerned that if I need to ship back to Dell for warranty work that now I cant get it back to stock. :-(

Can anyone provide any addtional guidance or suggestion for what the heck may be going wrong? Any other info you need from me?

Thanks!

Edited by wbracken

Guest zrospeed
I'm OK with running this ROM (big props to steve for all his awesome work, only bug I have seen for me in the last few builds is the camcorder crashes) however I am concerned that if I need to ship back to Dell for warranty work that now I cant get it back to stock. :-(

Can anyone provide any addtional guidance or suggestion for what the heck may be going wrong? Any other info you need from me?

Thanks!

if your sending dell your streak because of the camcorder issue, i think there is a way to fix that. alot of people had that problem a while back including me. steve put up a file and instructions to fix the fc when recording on 720p. someone else probably can point you to the right link. i forgot where. sorry

edit: found it.....try this

720p fc fix

Edited by zrospeed

Guest wbracken
if your sending dell your streak because of the camcorder issue, i think there is a way to fix that. alot of people had that problem a while back including me. steve put up a file and instructions to fix the fc when recording on 720p. someone else probably can point you to the right link. i forgot where. sorry

edit: found it.....try this

720p fc fix

Thanks for the fix for the camcorder. ;-) I am not planning on sending my phone back, the downgrade test was more so if I ever have to. I may give the post above a whirl but in galncing over it, not sure it applies to my situation since its from any "official 2.2" and I am pretty sure DJ Steves ROM is not official ;-)

Thanks again for the fix. Must have missed that one. Works like a champ now. If anyone else has any ideas on a downgrade fix please let me know.

Thanks!

Guest JOBooth
Thanks for the fix for the camcorder. ;-) I am not planning on sending my phone back, the downgrade test was more so if I ever have to. I may give the post above a whirl but in galncing over it, not sure it applies to my situation since its from any "official 2.2" and I am pretty sure DJ Steves ROM is not official ;-)

Thanks again for the fix. Must have missed that one. Works like a champ now. If anyone else has any ideas on a downgrade fix please let me know.

Thanks!

I never could get mine back down to the AT&T 1.6 and baseband. I could get to O2 2.1 then to O2 1.6 but never any further. I'm stickin on the Dell 318 build 12821 of froyo.

Guest wbracken
I never could get mine back down to the AT&T 1.6 and baseband. I could get to O2 2.1 then to O2 1.6 but never any further. I'm stickin on the Dell 318 build 12821 of froyo.

Doh. thats not encouraging. :(

• 2 weeks later...
Guest wbracken

Just wanted let everyone that I tried again yesterday to go back to AT&T 1.6.

Steps:

1. Factory reset prior to any changes

2. Downgrade to O2 2.1

3. Downgrade to O2 1.6

4. Try to downgrade to AT&T 1.6 and always get stuck with the recovery img needed to get back to AT&T simply going to a backlit black screen (not even reboot to that, its just happens as soon as you select the option)

I would say this should serve as a warning to other AT&T users but they are likely already running the released 2.2 version now and I have no idea how easy/hard it is to go from custom rom back to stock 2.2. :-|

Still open for suggestions if anyone has any ;-)