Is my Streak fixable?

Guest furryfrog

Guest furryfrog

Had some odd issues, lots of FCs and some random reboots. And in one instance I decided to reboot to get things working when Maps repeatedly FC'd.

Then my Streak wouldn't reboot, just Dell logo boot looping.

Tried a few things like reinstalling the OS (was on 1.8.1), then factory reset, tried installing older DJ_Steve builds. None of that worked, as it had when I had similar problems before with FCs.

Finally went to the QDLTool and it went through that all right, but still the same boot loop.

Tried to actually do a .pkg update here from the stock recovery, but said it couldn't find update.pkg (it was indeed there).

Put Clockwork 2.5.1 back on and 1.5.1+ amss, then tried to go to Streakdroid 1.6.1 (figured it was a bit more stable than newer things had been in some reports).

1.6.1 installed fine according to Clockwork, but still in the boot loop when trying to reboot.

All of this is kind of leading me to believe that my internal SD is misbehaving. I saw somewhere that the "afflicted" were sold August to December, and I got mine in September, so yeah.

Anyone know of a decisive way to determine if the internal SD is messed up? I should say that I tried the MMI-BB test from the fastboot screen and it seemed to be stuck on a black screen following the RGB color bars.

***EDIT***

Did get internal SD card error when running MMI-BB again. Black screen hold up was user error.

Any insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by furryfrog

Guest jmhalder
Had some odd issues, lots of FCs and some random reboots. And in one instance I decided to reboot to get things working when Maps repeatedly FC'd.

Tried a few things like reinstalling the OS (was on 1.8.1), then factory reset, tried installing older DJ_Steve builds. None of that worked, as it had when I had similar problems before with FCs.

Finally went to the QDLTool and it went through that all right, but still the same boot loop.

Tried to actually do a .pkg update here from the stock recovery, but said it couldn't find update.pkg (it was indeed there).

Put Clockwork 2.5.1 back on and 1.5.1+ amss, then tried to go to Streakdroid 1.6.1 (figured it was a bit more stable than newer things had been in some reports).

1.6.1 installed fine according to Clockwork, but still in the boot loop when trying to reboot.

All of this is kind of leading me to believe that my internal SD is misbehaving. I saw somewhere that the "afflicted" were sold August to December, and I got mine in September, so yeah.

Anyone know of a decisive way to determine if the internal SD is messed up? I should say that I tried the MMI-BB test from the fastboot screen and it seemed to be stuck on a black screen following the RGB color bars.

do a factory reset from the recovery loader *NOT FROM CLOCKWORK*, try this on 1.6.1, I think there was a bug that required 1.6.1 (or was it 1.5.1?) to be installed and booted once before you could update to 1.7.0 (maybe that was a holdover for 1.8.x)....

so after 1.5.1/1.6.1 do a factory reset, as long as you have the right baseband(amss), I'm pretty sure this should work. I can't give advice on QDLTool as I've only used it once for the first froyo beta that required flashing the baseband that way.

Guest furryfrog
do a factory reset from the recovery loader *NOT FROM CLOCKWORK*, try this on 1.6.1, I think there was a bug that required 1.6.1 (or was it 1.5.1?) to be installed and booted once before you could update to 1.7.0 (maybe that was a holdover for 1.8.x)....

so after 1.5.1/1.6.1 do a factory reset, as long as you have the right baseband(amss), I'm pretty sure this should work. I can't give advice on QDLTool as I've only used it once for the first froyo beta that required flashing the baseband that way.

Yeah, I remembered that, so in fact 1.5.1 was what I tried to downgrade to and then factory recovery. Just did again on 1.6.1 to no avail.

Pretty sure now that the internal card is just toasted.

Guest paullong

Yeah - that happened to me. Dell fixed it for me. You have to live without your phone for a week or two though. I'm in the UK.

Edited by paullong

Guest stinky817

you can test your internal SD card...

reboot holding the camera button (like going into fastboot) and when the white screen pops up with the number pad in the bottom corner, type *#301# and then you should get a list of items on the left, with same keypad, and type in 10 then enter, and it should test the cards... if you have any red lines, the listed card is bad..

Guest foochuangyeh

***EDIT***

Did get internal SD card error when running MMI-BB again. Black screen hold up was user error.

Just to share my experience. I did a test acorddingly to steve's faq (check question 1, link below). found that the internal sd has the error the faq mentioned. i used streakdroid and qdl tool and flash 1.8.1. it was stuck in the boot loop as well. amazingly, while i was searching for help, i left it relooping, one of the boot, it actually went past the logo and started it. then went back to do the test on SD. error no longer there.

my suggestion. use streakdroid, its design for streak. goodluck

http://streakdroid.com/?page_id=133

Guest furryfrog
Yeah - that happened to me. Dell fixed it for me. You have to live without your phone for a week or two though. I'm in the UK.

Getting my replacement sent now. Hardly any questions asked. I'm in the US, and previous Dell experience tells me that the replacement should be here in 5-7 days.

Guest GriZlore

I have this problem... I could not fix it, formatted SD card, changed SIM, factory resets, restores, the lot.

Even happened when no SIM/SD card in... just randomly rebooted

:(

sent back to O2, they couldnt find any problem. They "put the latest software on it" and sent it back.

Still happened upon return, so i contacted them again, and they send a new Streak next day on a "doorstep swap" ;)

Now sorted :(

I am now on Streak number 4 :)

• 4 months later...
Guest Yan27th

I have the same problem, my streak occassionally doing unfinite reboot loop until its battery finally discharged. The little different here is, my streak been to locked home screen before it going unstable and then reboot.

I finally figure it out! Simple trick to prevent reboot loop.

When the streak reboot process goes to the locked home screen, quickly slide the unlock icon to unlock it then push the power button to disable its touch sensor. Wait for a while, appox 10 minutes to let it load all the app, then press the power button again to unlock its touch sensor.

This trick work on my streak, hope it work on your too.

I guess the touch sensor are doing false sensing then it confused the cpu while loading many app.