Couple of Android questions

Guest Christo0908

Guest Christo0908

Hi,

This has been bugging me for quite some time about hardware limitations and Android OS compatibility, as with the T Mobile Pulse, the highest official OS is Android 2.1, what I don't understand is, this is due to compatibility according to the tech supports for the phones, so how is it that we can port and compile Android OS as high as 2.3.3 on SanFran and 2.2 on the Pulse? Is this just because the official techies for the phone can't be bothered? Because the Custom ROMs created by Paul, Flibble and CyanogenMod work really well apart from a few niggles that individuals seem to have no problems fixing.

Thanks

Guest ThermalDroid
Hi,

This has been bugging me for quite some time about hardware limitations and Android OS compatibility, as with the T Mobile Pulse, the highest official OS is Android 2.1, what I don't understand is, this is due to compatibility according to the tech supports for the phones, so how is it that we can port and compile Android OS as high as 2.3.3 on SanFran and 2.2 on the Pulse? Is this just because the official techies for the phone can't be bothered? Because the Custom ROMs created by Paul, Flibble and CyanogenMod work really well apart from a few niggles that individuals seem to have no problems fixing.

Thanks

The requirements for 2.2 are practically the same as those for 2.1. As for 2.3 I'm not sure but if it runs as smooth as it does in the video's I've seen then they can't be that different either. the wildfire has a 500 and something mhz processor and it runs android 2.2 fine.

Guest Christo0908

that's what I mean, my old pulse ran FroYo custom ROMs just fine, the only issue was the front camera, other than that, everything, EVEN the SMS bug in the old 2.1 was working fine, so the FroYo custom ROMs were actually better than the official 2.1 haha

Guest Ron=)

Why would they upgrade every phone to the latest android? Wheres their benefit? By the time the phones sold and has gotten older and discontinued from manufacture, much like the pulse, sure they could make an update to 2.3.3 but they could alternatively make a new phone which comes with 2.3.3 and make you pay for a new phone rather than a free OS upgrade.

It also takes time and money to create an official ROM.

Guest isambard
Why would they upgrade every phone to the latest android? Wheres their benefit? By the time the phones sold and has gotten older and discontinued from manufacture, much like the pulse, sure they could make an update to 2.3.3 but they could alternatively make a new phone which comes with 2.3.3 and make you pay for a new phone rather than a free OS upgrade.

It also takes time and money to create an official ROM.

also a huge risk. imagine if they make a mistake or introduce a bug in the new version which bricks the phone. what would be the cost of fixing half a million handsets? how does that stack up against the benefits of producing a new version.

now put yourself in the position of the someone trying to convince the manager that it is a good idea to do this. now imagine yourself as the manager deciding whether to approve that decision...

Guest Christo0908

ok, it was just a thought....

sorry we can't all be as smart as the rest of the people that actually understand the workings of Android, the way some people see it on here is, the ROM works, if it works, what's stopping it being official.

we come on here to get help, not made to look stupid.....

that's how you lose people coming on here for help...

yes, we are warned about the dangers, but this is to avoid the creators of ROMs from getting stick IN THE EVENT that it doesn't work, it's just the operators being greedy by releasing a new phone every year pretty much forcing a upgraded handset onto us.

just like apple do with iphone...