Problems - Android or LG?

Guest egomeister

Guest egomeister

I finally got round to trying the 2.1 upgrade yesterday and enountered no end of problems.

The phone updated fine using the LG software, but once updated it refused to communicate with my PC. After no end of uninstalling/reinstalling/rebooting it finally wanted to talk, but then PC Suite itself decided it wouldn't recognise my Outlook, so I couldn't sync any contacts.

Is this typical of LG/Android? I'd not used either before buying the GT540 having owned HTC/Windows Mobile devices for many years, however despite Windows Mobiles poor reputation I don't remember anywhere near as much frustration when using those! I'm due a new phone, but am wary of another Android handset given some of the problems I have had...

Guest Simon  P
I finally got round to trying the 2.1 upgrade yesterday and enountered no end of problems.

The phone updated fine using the LG software, but once updated it refused to communicate with my PC. After no end of uninstalling/reinstalling/rebooting it finally wanted to talk, but then PC Suite itself decided it wouldn't recognise my Outlook, so I couldn't sync any contacts.

Is this typical of LG/Android? I'd not used either before buying the GT540 having owned HTC/Windows Mobile devices for many years, however despite Windows Mobiles poor reputation I don't remember anywhere near as much frustration when using those! I'm due a new phone, but am wary of another Android handset given some of the problems I have had...

I had exactly the same problem and it was because LG had released new USB drivers between the time I first installed LG Suite and when I ran the update. Once I'd updated LG Suite the phone was recognised by the PC. I'm guessing the new drivers were required because of the 2.1 upgrade.

The first thing I do now before flashing the phone now is to check for USB driver updates.

Guest egomeister

I think I must have ended up updating the drivers when I uninstalled everything on my system with LG in the name, then reinstalling the lot!

It's a day of my life I'll never get back, and to make matters worse I use my phone as an alarm clock and despite resetting them they didn't go off this morning, grr!