My streak is 9 months old today

Guest the_didge

Guest the_didge

My streak is 9 months old today :(

I bought it on 07/06/2010 from an O2 store in London, UK.

After 9 months i still love the device but it has picked up a few scars along the way...

At only 2 weeks old, someone dropped it and it developed a hairline crack about 3mm long directly next to the home button. This has not cracked further since.

At 3 months it decided to go sliding across the road (i forgot how) and got a few scratches on the back cover.

At 7 months the letter L and part of the E on the back decided to peel off.

And thats all.

Battery is still lasting around 24 hours (same as when new) even though im using it more and more each day - over 400 email notifications with 4 google accounts constantly syncing.

Ive used streakdroid since its inception and am currently on a very stable version 1.7

NOW

Ive always experienced an issue from the start - People saying they cant hear me properly when on a call. Having put up with it for 9 months i think its time to do something about it.

I still have 6 months left on my contact before i can upgrade (O2 Gold Customers can upgrade 3 months before end of contract rather then the usual 1 month)

Ive for some very odd reason started considering getting a HTC Desire HD. The reasons are as follows:

Slightly smaller screen at 4.3" - although i love the 5", its a shame no body else makes them)

Better camera - this has always upset me about the streak. I find the camera not really worth it

Newer Device - potential for better OS tweaks

More Accessories - im tired of not being able to find things for the streak because its such a rare device

But... Steve dosnt make roms for the Desire HD, And i would seriously miss his developments...

Does anyone here have direct experience using both devices?

What would you recommend?

Guest cowballz

Only phone right now if u want to get something other than dell streak thats close to the 5" mark is the samsung infuse, with a huge 4.5 inch screen with new SUPER AMOLED PLUS. However its not going to have the new tegra 2 . So thats the deal breaker for me because im a gamer and the new games.for tegra only phones/tabs are really nice

Guest kentt

But... Steve dosnt make roms for the Desire HD, And i would seriously miss his developments...

If this is a big reason for you then I'd say go ahead and get the Desire. I believe that Cyanogen develops for that device. I have no reason to think that is worse than Steve's roms.

Guest THJahar

I've got another year to go on contract, but as you've said there's not anything remotely like the Dell. (Until the end of 2011 when Streak II comes out)

It's going to be hard to swap if there is no other 5" device out there. Really love the screen size, and going smaller will seem lie a step back.

My wants are: AMOLED 5" Higher res, NFC chip, 4G ready (That's if 4g is better than HSDPA), better camera, cableless charging.

PS. I found the 'I can't hear you' bug is related to having the phone on vibrate when calling or picking up.

Guest stoney1973

After a very nice 4 months with my streak......I'm moving onto bigger things....(i never said better, so hold onto that dummy):(

One of my work colleagues has a tab, and he likes the streak. he's a small guy with small hands, so the tab is almost bigger than he is. Being the helpful type, I asked if he would like to swap for the streak. He's agreed, so the swap takes place on friday.

Just in case the swap becomes permanent, I would like to thank everyone in this forum for their help, and informative threads And to Steve and Fards for the roms and bug-hunting info. Much appreciated. Hopefully when the direct follow-up to the streak 5 is released, we shall meet again.

For any noobs reading this, please use the search function!

Edited by stoney1973

Guest Dunhamzzz

Had my Streak since day 1, can't say I'm not curious about other phones out there.

I agree with your camera sentiments, really is poop and the Streak is too big too hold and click as a decent camera.

I have always been interested in HTCs deliverings, they have a great build quality and a much larger community for software updates and the like. That being said, there's not a lot wrong with Steves build and my Streak isn't damaged at all really. Also now we're on 2.2 it doesn't feel like we're missing out on anything Android wise as 2.3 doesn't really change a great deal (unlike 2.1 -> 2.2).

Guest kibcom

I love mine just as much today as back last June when I first got it. I'm on a 24 month totally unlimited usage contract with O2 for £35 and it does EVERYTHING I want.

Above all else, I wanted a computer that was also a phone. Perhaps if you want a phone that's also a computer you wouldn't be happy.

Simply the best!

Guest mmp669

I really can’t see anything can replace my streak at the moment. The 5 inch screen is just the killer and that’s why I am putting up with Dell’s terrible software development and even worse customer service. Luckily for us Steve comes to rescue. Hopefully dell will bring the streak II to the market.

Guest spacecat46

Can't see anything else out there that could replace it at the moment, 7 inches is too big less than 5 is too small

Why doesnt someone make a 6 incher?

I'm sitting pretty on a tmobile contract of £5 per month for 100 mins talk, unlimited texts and 3gb hsdpa web n walk plus

For 24 months :(

dell built the near perfect form factor and dj steve made it rock

Guest the_didge

I Love my streak, Its the phone ive had the longest, Ive been through every major handset from every major company - but none of them lasted with me for more than 6 months.

My issues are simple the sound quality and the camera. Other than that it is a perfect phone.

If they can be resolved im sure the streak will stay with me till the Streak 2 comes out...

Guest rebski

My Streak is 9 months old too. There is no way that I will consider changing it.

On the contrary, I find myself watching eBay and debating whether to buy another so as to have a spare in case Dell stops making them.

Of course if the mooted improved version is definitely coming then I shall wait.

Guest vinokirk

I made the swap to the DHD. The main reason was the random resets I would get all the time on the Streak, and the Internet browser crashing all the time.

DHD is good but:

- Screen isn't as bright

- Speaker isn't as good

- Signal isn't as good

But its definately a great phone! My contract is up in a month, so I'm waiting for the dual core phones to come out. I miss the 5 inch screen !