[ROM][OLED/TFT][GEN2] CyanogenMod-7 for ZTE Blade/San Francisco :: V7.1.0-RC1 (26/06/2011)

Guest HCDR.Jacob

Guest HCDR.Jacob
You decided forcing everyone to convert to Gen2 was the best option FOR YOU.

It definitely isn't for us users.

We're the ones doing the bloody work.

Edited by HCDR.Jacob

Guest HCDR.Jacob
Is there likely to be functionality in ROM manager to handle the upgrade once CM goes GEN2?

Thus making it a simple "press a button" type affair.

Interestingly upgrading from MCR to CM7 "Stable" seems to have fixed some issues with my WI-FI. (Didn't like one of My AP's, would refuse to connect to it and always connect to the netgear downstairs instead, now it will connect to the upstairs one as well)

No.

It's up to you to handle this yourselves.

I did the Gen2 upgrade an hour or two ago, and to be honest you'd have to be a blithering idiot to do it wrong.

Guest alex1alex2alex3alex4
We're the ones doing the badword work.

I didn't say (or imply) you are not entitled to make this decision, of course you are,

just wanted to set that straight.

As others said before, and assuming they are correct, I don't have enough insight because I don't

have enough time to dig into it myself (I'm dedicating my spare time to another project - for free),

differences are probably minimal, so why not build nightlies for both Gen1 and Gen2 ?

Guest t0mm13b
Can you explain why not? If you ever need to send it to warranty brick the mutha fucka!

Warranty is a moot point since

1. Replaced the original stock recovery with Clockworkmod recovery
  2. Flashed it with a few roms such as JJ, FlibbleSan, MCR, CM7, Swedish Fillyjonk etc....
  3. IT was unlocked

So either way, upgrading to Gen2 sounds good to convert the 90quid handset from a triple band to quad band for free...

Please heed and read the disclaimer, and RTFM, and make sure you do it right....

Jeez, these guys deserve some credit and you're kicking up against it... let's be mature and reasonable about this....

BTW this is not at you @meliante.... its for the benefit of others to accept....

Guest evilpaul

Thanks for all the hard work Jacob and Tom.

I know you've taken some unnecessary flack recently over this Gen1/2 rubbish, so I just want to give my support to all the hard work you've both given to the blade community.

Carry on doing the good work, cheers.

Guest redcup

I post here very rarely, but have been incensed by some of the moaning from people about this.

The devs have been giving up loads of their time, for nothing, to develop this and people complain about the way things are being done!

Thanks for all your hard work guys and try and ignore the moaners :)

Guest CaptainSpectacular

I suggest to people to not complain too much cause at the end, the devs will stopping to work on this and we'll only have eyes for cry...

Gen 1 or Gen 2, doesn't matter, like everybody say the warranty is already avoid with any Rom that you flash. Then, like everybody say again, if don't like this team simply don't flash their Rom and switch to other, or learn how to compile your own work.

But all in all, simply make love, not war. Peoples who works on this kind of project are really passionate, but this passion can be easily transformed into hate or boring things...

They have make a choice, to share their skills with us, whatever the other choices they'll makes cause you have already follow the first choice. :)

"You take the blue pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes."

Good luck guys, the Blade deserve to have devs like you.

Guest gwebb
Gen 1 or Gen 2, doesn't matter, like everybody say the warranty is already avoid with any Rom that you flash.

This is a key point, the moment you flash a ROM other than an official update your warranty is gone. You might be able to put the original ROM back and fool Orange, but most of us accept that any modding means giving up our warranty. Once you have accepted that jumping to Gen 2 -- or one day Gen 3, 4, 5 -- is no big deal, it's just another mod, and if you don't like modding your phone why are you here? :)

Guest ThrashMan
I suggest to people to not complain too much cause at the end, the devs will stopping to work on this and we'll only have eyes for cry...

Gen 1 or Gen 2, doesn't matter, like everybody say the warranty is already avoid with any Rom that you flash. Then, like everybody say again, if don't like this team simply don't flash their Rom and switch to other, or learn how to compile your own work.

But all in all, simply make love, not war. Peoples who works on this kind of project are really passionate, but this passion can be easily transformed into hate or boring things...

They have make a choice, to share their skills with us, whatever the other choices they'll makes cause you have already follow the first choice. :)

"You take the blue pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes."

Good luck guys, the Blade deserve to have devs like you.

I want some of whatever he's smoking!!

Edited by ThrashMan

So what? It's their 'hard work', it's their decision to stop at any time they like. Even with an unfinished project. Apart from the fact, that the stable release is so much worse than RC4.

Gen 1 or Gen 2, doesn't matter, like everybody say the warranty is already avoid with any Rom that you flash.

You guys don't get it, right? You can easily revert from any custom ROM to stock ROM in case you have to return your phone. So Orange or OK or whatever seller it is, doesn't even suspect any foul play and is obliged to grant any warranty. Period. IF THE DAMNED PHONE IS GEN1! So, please for the love of god, take your head out of Jacobs ass and realize the magnitude of setback if anyone demands users to go to Gen2 for really no advantage whatsoever.

Guest CaptainSpectacular

What I mean is "I do that for fun" ...

If it's confirmed that this rom isn't stable or for everyday use and also if we know that we can't rollback to Gen1, then simply don't apply this... Alchemy, you take one thing, you must give one other thing with the same value in return...

I'm not a rich man, not at all, but when I flash my phone, opening my computer or doing a thing that's i'm not suppose to do, I feel alive. We have many reason for doing that.

It's sad for people that they don't want to upgrade, but hey, if you're on any Rom (GEN 1 Froyo) other than your origin one (Gen 1 Eclair) and your phone shut down tomorrow with no reason (with no possibility to restore your stock rom...) and that you must send back to the manufacturer... How many chances for you to have the warranty working ?

Don't know, but I think we are just taking the sense of this at differents levels of gravity.

And the only thing I put on my head is my helmet, thanks man.

One love.

Guest rjm2k

I would assume that although the Blade branch of CM7 is going Gen2, that someone could keep hold of the necessary stock files and various configuration files and keep compiling a Gen 1 version for those who don't want to shift? It should be possible to identify what has changed to shift from 1 to 2 from the repository and create a fork at that point, retaining the older versions of whatever has changed.

Guest css771

For all the people complaining about the move to gen2 and warranty and stuff, you have a choice really. You don't have to move to gen2. There are still plenty of gen1 roms around to flash. Or wait for someone to create gen1 patches for the future cm7 builds. It's that simple really.

The devs do not owe anybody anything. They're not a corporation that's selling anything. Their reasoning seems sound to move to gen2. I think this is being blown out of proportion.

Edited by css771

Guest dibbles

@bhf - I do understand the points that you are making and I do agree with most of them. But I am going to suggest that you consider changing the way that they are expressed. I will not quote the part I'm referring to but I think that if you re-read what you have written you can figure it out.

The debate over this imposed change is heated enough without comments being made which could inflame the situation even further and whilst your well made points have value they are lost when certain expressions are used, which are not needed. You have already demonstrated how eloquently you can express yourself so please have a think about your post.

Guest hecatae
So what? It's their 'hard work', it's their decision to stop at any time they like. Even with an unfinished project. Apart from the fact, that the stable release is so much worse than RC4.

You guys don't get it, right? You can easily revert from any custom ROM to stock ROM in case you have to return your phone. So Orange or OK or whatever seller it is, doesn't even suspect any foul play and is obliged to grant any warranty. Period. IF THE DAMNED PHONE IS GEN1! So, please for the love of god, take your head out of Jacobs ass and realize the magnitude of setback if anyone demands users to go to Gen2 for really no advantage whatsoever.

read the disclaimer on the first post of this thread. If you dont agree with this dont use a cyanogenmod rom.

You have not paid for the cyanogenmod team to develop this rom, you are not paying for them to make a rom to your specific requirements.

anyone on gen1 can upgrade to gen2

anyone on gen2 cannot downgrade to gen1

as your warranty is already void by accepting the cyanogenmod disclaimer, you can either update to gen2 or stop using this rom

Guest dibbles
For all the people complaining about the move to gen2 and warranty and stuff, you have a choice really. You don't have to move to gen2. There are still plenty of gen1 roms around to flash. Or wait for someone to create gen1 patches for the future cm7 builds. It's that simple really.

The devs do not owe anybody anything. They're not a corportaiton that's selling anything. Their reasoning seems sound to move to gen2. I think this is being blown out of proportion.

Whilst I do agree with what you have written I also believe that the imposed change could have been presented to the community with a little more feeling of involving people in that process of change. Whether that would have had any influence at all in the outcome I'm not sure but I did cringe a little at how certain posts were made from people who I expected to know better. Considering the poll that has been running for a little while now on whether people want to change to a Gen 2 layout that alone gives some insight on how best to present such a change with such a large number of people not wanting to change and an even larger number uncertain.

Still we are where we are and hopefully if I do decide to make that change I will be able to do it successfully and fingers crossed I will not need to make any warranty claims which maybe negated by doing so.

Guest Chris_M

Jacob, Tom, Flibble - you're doing a great job. Ignore the whiners.

alex1alex2alex3alex4 - CM7 is free - gratis. You're not developing it or paying for it, so you have no right to tell the devs how to run their project. If you don't like the way CM7 development is going, then just use a different ROM. Or if you really think you know best, why not fork CM and maintain it yourself? If you're really speaking for the silent majority, then I'm sure all the other CM users will jump ship and follow you. Or maybe not....

Sorry for continuing the argument - it just really annoys me when people assume they're owed something for free. If you gave them a free £10 note, they'd probably complain that it was creased...

Guest dibbles
Jacob, Tom, Flibble - you're doing a great job. Ignore the whiners.

alex1alex2alex3alex4 - CM7 is free - gratis. You're not developing it or paying for it, so you have no right to tell the devs how to run their project. If you don't like the way CM7 development is going, then just use a different ROM. Or if you really think you know best, why not fork CM and maintain it yourself? If you're really speaking for the silent majority, then I'm sure all the other CM users will jump ship and follow you. Or maybe not....

Sorry for continuing the argument - it just really annoys me when people assume they're owed something for free. If you gave them a free £10 note, they'd probably complain that it was creased...

I wouldn't..!!!

Please send as many wrinkly ones as you wish to me, they will match my grey hair and wrinkly skin anyway :)

Guest css771
Whilst I do agree with what you have written I also believe that the imposed change could have been presented to the community with a little more feeling of involving people in that process of change. Whether that would have had any influence at all in the outcome I'm not sure but I did cringe a little at how certain posts were made from people who I expected to know better. Considering the poll that has been running for a little while now on whether people want to change to a Gen 2 layout that alone gives some insight on how best to present such a change with such a large number of people not wanting to change and an even larger number uncertain.

Still we are where we are and hopefully if I do decide to make that change I will be able to do it successfully and fingers crossed I will not need to make any warranty claims which maybe negated by doing so.

If you're that worried about warranty, you could just hold out and wait for someone to produce a gen1 flasher for future builds, like I said. It's not that hard to make one; but anyone still on gen1 will lose the ability to report bugs.

Edited by css771

Guest dibbles
If you're that worried about warranty, you could just hold out and wait for someone to produce a gen1 flasher for future builds, like I said. It's not that hard to make one; but anyone still on gen1 will lose the ability to report bugs.

Yes I did / do plan on doing that. However there is another aspect of me that I would very much like to be able to control better. I'm like a child in a sweet shop and unless I get my daily fix of flashing nightlies my life will feel kinda empty :)

After making the bug report for the GPS shutdown issues it was also nice to be involved and contribute as well, which you have rightly written would not be possible with the Gen 1 type flasher.

Guest alex1alex2alex3alex4
alex1alex2alex3alex4 - CM7 is free - gratis. You're not developing it or paying for it, so you have no right to tell the devs how to run their project.

Leaving the question aside why you think you are entitled to tell me anything about my rights - please show me where I did that.

On the contrary, I explicitely stated the opposite.

I simply asked if it would be possible to just build CM7 for both Gen2 AND Gen1 layouts.

No answer.

I simply asked if it would be possible to just build CM7 for both Gen2 AND Gen1 layouts.

No answer.

That's not entirely true. There was an answer and it was loud and clear. And surprise, surprise, not everyone liked it.

Imagine a dialogue between some randomly humble user and HDCR:

HDCR: CM7 will be transferred to Gen2 support only by weekend.

HU: that has many disadvantages.

HDCR: I don't give a sh*t. We want cater for both generations. Gen 1 can upgrade, but Gen2 can't downgrade. The decision is set, deal with it.

HU: But why don't you cater for both gens?

HDCR: Because I said so!

So, take it or leave it.

Guest mELIANTE

Are the developers pointing a gun at us, demanding us to use CM7? Maybe I'm blind but I don't see any gun or anything like it. Strange... :)