CM7 Nightlies Topic [Nightly 28- 21/03/2011]

Guest Victor von Zeppelin

Guest AP707

Just finished flashing 21, was hoping the menu lag would be fixed, still waiting for that, hopefully in 22! Can't really notice any fixes, bluetooth works like mentioned above though.

Edited by AP707

Guest ma00aem
Just finished flashing 21, was hoping the menu lag would be fixed, still waiting for that, hopefully in 22! Can't really notice any fixes, bluetooth works like mentioned above though.

Have you tried changing theme? for me it´s an enormous difference....

Guest supermies123

Can anyone tell if there's any change about the touch screen freezes in N21? Still waiting them to be fixed and then gonna hop from froyo to CM7.

Guest hedgepigdaniel
How do I update from N19 to 20 without losing all my apps/contacts etc? Do I just not clear the cache and data and just apply the update? Fairly new to this if you haven't noticed xD.

Correct. You can clear the cache and dalvik cache (in clockwork advanced menu) if you like, it sometimes stops bugs. As long as you don't clear Data, all your apps/settings etc will be intact.

Guest AP707
Have you tried changing theme? for me it´s an enormous difference....

To one of the cyanogen themes, I've tried it using the theme chooser app that comes with cyanogen, but no luck.

Edited by AP707

Guest Scoopading
Can anyone tell if there's any change about the touch screen freezes in N21? Still waiting them to be fixed and then gonna hop from froyo to CM7.

No, the screen freeze still isn't fixed afaik. I don't think the cause has even been found yet (?... )

However nightly 21 does have proximity.init in system/bin, so there should be an improvement in proximity behaviour - at least without having to set specific options for the screen to come back to life.

Guest Scoopading
If so, what theme do you recommend?
Stick to the default theme. Currently some apps (such as Autoruns) don't work correctly if you use anything but the default Cyanogen theme.

Although, I dunno if it's just me, the Wifi indicator / battery icon (etc) seem to have problems changing from a white colour when I initially install CM7. Eventually it will change the colour, but I haven't figured out why it sometimes won't despite setting it and rebooting etc.

I haven't noticed any "lag" differences/improvements just from using a different theme?

Guest jonas.lindberg
Stick to the default theme. Currently some apps (such as Autoruns) don't work correctly if you use anything but the default Cyanogen theme.

Although, I dunno if it's just me, the Wifi indicator / battery icon (etc) seem to have problems changing from a white colour when I initially install CM7. Eventually it will change the colour, but I haven't figured out why it sometimes won't despite setting it and rebooting etc.

I haven't noticed any "lag" differences/improvements just from using a different theme?

No, neither have I, just thought if there was some theme that improved the performance beyond the standard "system" one. Just trying out the honeybread theme right now though but can't say I've found any difference in speed or performance.

Guest gat2011
No, neither have I, just thought if there was some theme that improved the performance beyond the standard "system" one. Just trying out the honeybread theme right now though but can't say I've found any difference in speed or performance.

i used gingerbread launcher by eugene - launcher is much smoother and sysytem seems to run better, on the whole. though i sometimes get the odd lad when opening an app.

Guest Scoopading
i used gingerbread launcher by eugene - launcher is much smoother and sysytem seems to run better, on the whole. though i sometimes get the odd lad when opening an app.

Some launcher animations might be a bit smoother, but I haven't noticed any difference for actual system performance. Lag when opening an app, can be for several reasons, one of which is that Cyanogen might have the CPU clocked down to a lower rate (saving battery) and must ramp up to launch the app. You can test this by setting the minimum CPU to the same rate as the highest, and see if you still notice the issue as much. However this will drain your battery. Personally I'd take a battery improvement over such things.

The very best thing you can do for your launcher/system performance is turn off animated background wallpapers and use a standard non-animated wallpaper :D

I use Launcher Pro and, regardless of ROM, I've always found it to be much faster/smoother than ADW Launcher (default on CM7).

Same experience, although apparently the paid version of ADW performs a lot better. The Gingerbread Eugene launcher is very smooth though, but limited in options. There does seem to be a small improvement in this stuff in the experimental branch of the CM7 kernel. So, if anyone's bothered about this stuff, you might want to check out the post by bl1nk for that.

Edited by Scoopading

Guest samjam

I just installed N21 - where is the market place?

It doesn't even let me set up a google sync account!

I've read that I'm supposed to install google-apps from ROM manager, but I don't see such a choice in the ROM manager.

Edited by samjam

Guest LordKickapoo

re-installing google apps could help, take from first post

Guest Scoopading
But to be honest everyone's phone is probably set up a little differently. Some people flash N19 over N18 etc and some do full wipe. Some install all their favourite apps back on some test the bare ROM.

Unless everyone uses exactly the same set up the reports of battery drain speed are not camparable and kind of pointless.

Measuring the "bare ROM" gives you a baseline to work from, and you can then easily surmise the likely loss being caused by other apps and/or settings. If you notice a large difference then it's almost certain you're running a background app which is preventing the phone from sleeping properly. Unless you actually desire this behaviour then you can either uninstall it or prevent it from launching, when you don't ask it to, with an app like Autostarts. Personally I will uninstall apps if they repeatedly start without permission.

Battery life is really about controlling what runs in the background, and you're far better off doing that with apps like Autostarts than task killers. That's when the phone's not in use. When its in use things like screen brightness make a big difference (the screen being the main power eater). You can also choose to down-lock the CPU in Cyanogen and this should further save your battery, although it will make the phone slower. However, for certain tasks, you don't actually need the CPU running very fast.

FWIW I measured the drain on the current (fixed) CM7 kernel for 42 hours of idle time. Ironically, with the constant (but consistent!) CM7 power drain gone, it makes it harder to measure standby drain because the inconsistencies reported by Android are more apparent. It fluctuates between a 0.35% and 0.7% loss per hour. So this is how much the Blade will lose, even if you aren't running anything else, on the current roms.

Averaged out over a total of 42 hours the drain was 0.42% (maybe 42 is the answer to all things :D ). Bottom line, assuming it doesn't behave massively different at lower battery levels, is 6 days standby (worst case), 12 days standby (best case), with 10 days being what was suggested by the 42 hours I tested. That's with the phone doing nothing.. But it's good to know, if you don't charge it overnight, it should probably last a second day without much problem, as long as you don't go crazy.. AND as long as you learn how to control what is launching and when. It's a real annoyance that so many Android apps insist on launching at start up time for no good reason, not unlike tray bar apps on Windows :(

Guest alex1alex2alex3alex4

I've read that I'm supposed to install google-apps from ROM manager, but I don't see such a choice in the ROM manager.

Google apps aren't packaged into CM7, to be found there:

http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/topic/15851-c...ies/page__st__0

Guest samjam

Thanks - I got the apps, now I just need to find how to install them... (it doesn't say on the first post nor google yet)

Edited by samjam

Guest alex1alex2alex3alex4
Thanks - I got the apps, now I just need to find how to install them... (it doesn't say on the first post nor google yet)

Install the update with CWM

Guest dibbles

I would guess that you would install it through recovery mode and allow Clockwork to install it from there..?

Guest goatee

Over 10 hours last night, in airplane mode, I lost 4%, which is consistent with what you found.

Averaged out over a total of 42 hours the drain was 0.42% (maybe 42 is the answer to all things :D ). Bottom line, assuming it doesn't behave massively different at lower battery levels, is 6 days standby (worst case), 12 days standby (best case), with 10 days being what was suggested by the 42 hours I tested. That's with the phone doing nothing.. But it's good to know, if you don't charge it overnight, it should probably last a second day without much problem, as long as you don't go crazy.. AND as long as you learn how to control what is launching and when. It's a real annoyance that so many Android apps insist on launching at start up time for no good reason, not unlike tray bar apps on Windows :(

Install them with clockwork, as you would with the ROM. Make sure they're on the SD card. Reboot into recovery, and then install from zip :(.

Guest Scoopading
I would guess that you would install it through recovery mode and allow Clockwork to install it from there..?

Yep. The market actually needs to be installed that way as it doesn't like being installed via the normal method (IE through vending.apk in a file manager etc). All the other Google apps, except market, seem fine being installed from their apk files though..