CM7 Nightlies Topic [Nightly 28- 21/03/2011]

Guest Victor von Zeppelin

Guest JobSup

Whatever I try, I always end up with a frozen lock screen after installing lhe latest nightly builds 22 and 23. My Blade is a new Base Lutea (5mp, TFT). I followed the instructions from the 1st post, factory reset, wipe cache etc. Installed latest clockwork. 1st boot is OK, the 2nd reboot -> frozen lock screen.

Is there anything special I might have missed?

Guest Frankish
Are quadrant scores still doubled due to stagefright or has this been fixed now?

was getting 560 in jj but getting 934 on N21. halfing this score makes it seem worse!?

Pretty sure stagefright is working fine now. However in real world usage who cares about scores. As said Angry Birds plays much smoother, so does Fruit Ninja for me and Pro Evo. Shame i get screen freezes in Fruit Ninja and Pro Evo though :D

Guest alex1alex2alex3alex4
Whatever I try, I always end up with a frozen lock screen after installing lhe latest nightly builds 22 and 23. My Blade is a new Base Lutea (5mp, TFT). I followed the instructions from the 1st post, factory reset, wipe cache etc. Installed latest clockwork. 1st boot is OK, the 2nd reboot -> frozen lock screen.

Does it freeze with just the base ROM, or are you installing any apps on top of it right away ?

If the latter, try a clean install of N23 and see if it still freezes.

Guest targetbsp
If the latter, try a clean install of N23 and see if it still freezes.

TomG just posted on the bug tracker that he had screen freezes testing N19 so I don't think it's that. Unless the devs don't wipe. :D

Edited by targetbsp

Guest Saransh Agarwal

I have also stopped getting screen freeze in my device

i used to get it in n20 but n21 onwards never got one while playing fruit ninja

Guest css771

Exact same thing on N22. Complete wipe. Though i have removed a lot of stuff from the kernel and system apps, so it must be something else. At first, there was no sliding animation on the lockscreen and then, it completely froze up. I am however, able to bring up the power options and select shutdown. After a reboot, it seems fine for now.

From the issue tracker, TomG seems to think it's to do with the changes done since N19. So another bug hunt's gonna be underway :D

Edited by css771

Guest JobSup
Does it freeze with just the base ROM, or are you installing any apps on top of it right away ?

Right away. I did a clean install, not even the google apps. Just the base rom. But I also just had the same problem after going back to the FLB10b rom...

My usual procedure:

- reboot into clockwork 3.0.1.4 recovery

- wipe data/factory reset (then wipe cache, clear dalvik cache even if these might not be necessary)

- install rom from zip

- wipe data/factory reset (to be sure)

- reboot

-> Lock screen freeze

Guest reluctant_traveller

what do I have to do to catch a logfile of the moments leading up to a system halt/shutdown?

Running a logcat doesn't seem to work as no logfile exists once I switch the phone back on.

Flashed 23 and was able to reproduce the crash by running google maps > 15minutes with screen off.

I had wiped cache and dalvik but not settings, so will try a clean flash and full wipe and remove sd card too now.

Guest muller37
Pretty sure stagefright is working fine now. However in real world usage who cares about scores. As said Angry Birds plays much smoother, so does Fruit Ninja for me and Pro Evo. Shame i get screen freezes in Fruit Ninja and Pro Evo though :D

I haven't experienced any screen freezes after N19 tbh. played Fruit Ninga kaka Valentine and tank hero and no freezes. on N21 at the moment.

Guest Frankish
I haven't experienced any screen freezes after N19 tbh. played Fruit Ninga kaka Valentine and tank hero and no freezes. on N21 at the moment.

Hmm maybe i need to upgrade. Fruit Ninja was never guaranteed a screen freeze with me. Pro Evo however is guaranteed a freeze at least once per match. I may upgrade today to n23 and see how that is.

Guest muller37
Hmm maybe i need to upgrade. Fruit Ninja was never guaranteed a screen freeze with me. Pro Evo however is guaranteed a freeze at least once per match. I may upgrade today to n23 and see how that is.

can't comment on pro evo as too tight to pay for it! lol :D

Guest simonckenyon

installed n23

turn the screen off and left it on my desk

30 minutes later i went to use it. dead as a dodo

so nothing past n17 has been stable for me.

running pretty stock - default launcher, gaaps

i do have gps and wifi switched on even though i won't get a signal from either where i was sitting

Guest forney27
installed n23

turn the screen off and left it on my desk

30 minutes later i went to use it. dead as a dodo

i do have gps and wifi switched on even though i won't get a signal from either where i was sitting

Same here, accidently left GPS on and it went to the sleep of death.

Guest muller37
Same here, accidently left GPS on and it went to the sleep of death.

is this a N23 issue as i have N21 and leave my gps active all the time? only had shutdown once after using nav for a while.

Guest bugeyes
is this a N23 issue as i have N21 and leave my gps active all the time? only had shutdown once after using nav for a while.

you should stay with N21, certainly the best of the bunch lately (for me at least!)

Guest Rotmann
I have also stopped getting screen freeze in my device

i used to get it in n20 but n21 onwards never got one while playing fruit ninja

Seems I'm not the only one who doesn't have the screen freezes. :( Did you wipe before installing N19 and afterwards? Restored any Titanium backups? I have installed N19 fresh, restored all stuff from the market over the air, nothing manually restored. Also what type of screen do you have? I have the OLED, bought in November.

Right away. I did a clean install, not even the google apps. Just the base rom. But I also just had the same problem after going back to the FLB10b rom...

Seems like a lot of Base Luteas have broken digitizers out of the box. Flash back to the base firmware, if it still locks, bring it back. This is the third Base Lutea THIS WEEK :D I know of, having the same problems. Crappy ZTE quality control.

you should stay with N21, certainly the best of the bunch lately (for me at least!)

No GPS or freeze problems on N22 or N23 here, left on all time, using GPS quite a lot with CardioTrainer and navigation. I can recommend an upgrade.

Guest muller37

yeah i was thinking of sticking with this one for a while and giving my phone a rest! i remember not too long ago, other than a few ringtones and maybe a theme or two, a phone was basically stock throughout its life! does constant flashing and rebooting effect anything?

Ive got nandroid backups coming out of my ears lol!!!

Edited by muller37

Guest reluctant_traveller

Complete wipe, installed n23 and then removed SDCARD.

Booted up, replaced the animated wallpaper with a cyanogen wallpaper.

connect to market and downloaded only google maps.

ran google maps, set the phone down, went to meeting for an hour, came back and it had shutdown.

So I can only conclude that an active gps is causing the phone to shutdown after some timed event happens, as the phone 'wakes' fine if you try at intervals of less then 15minutes for me.

Could the new power management settings be causing this? I know more aggressive settings were added to conserve battery life, could they be causing the gps module to sleep and crash the phone?

Guest skyhacker

I'm having a problem with nightly 23, can't connect to wi fi networks it just goes on, off without connecting, restart didn't work gonna go back to n22

Guest whatcolour

OK, time to report...

As some of you might have gathered, I got excited a few pages back when the "perfect Wendesday rom" was released and got blamed for it :D

I've since upped my excitement a bit further by compiling a rom (nightly 21 based) using new proprietary files found in KK's "perfect Wendesday rom". I have only replaced four ril related libs with the old ones, otherwise no signal.

This might well be unnecessary, but I've yet to encounter any down side of doing this either, and:

- it is generally good practice to stand by the latest

- rom size reduced by ~3M, which benefits 128 partition users like me; mostly caused by a much smaller ar6000.ko

- might be placebo, but scrolling seem a bit smoother

Sadly the proximity sensor on the original N21 and my updated version both appeared to be rather flaky, so I followed a post a few pages back to recalibrate my sensors under a Froyo rom and restored CM7 back afterwards, and everything started to work as it should since then.

Finally, it is good to observe some progress on the light and proximity sensor in the main CM7 branch which might well be related:

https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_fram...a87544a51c37607

Just an experiment and nothing else...

Guest Frankish
yeah i was thinking of sticking with this one for a while and giving my phone a rest! i remember not too long ago, other than a few ringtones and maybe a theme or two, a phone was basically stock throughout its life! does constant flashing and rebooting effect anything?

Ive got nandroid backups coming out of my ears lol!!!

Of course it has an effect. Nand memory only has a limited number of writes.

From Wikipedia:

The write endurance of SLC floating-gate NOR flash is typically equal or greater than that of NAND flash, while MLC NOR and NAND flash have similar endurance capabilities. Example Endurance cycle ratings listed in datasheets for NAND and NOR flash are provided.

SLC NAND flash is typically rated at about 100k cycles (Samsung OneNAND KFW4G16Q2M)

MLC NAND flash is typically rated at about 5–10k cycles (Samsung K9G8G08U0M)

SLC floating-gate NOR flash has typical endurance rating of 100k to 1M cycles (Numonyx M58BW 100k; Spansion S29CD016J 1,000k)

MLC floating-gate NOR flash has typical endurance rating of 100k cycles (Numonyx J3 flash)

However, by applying certain algorithms and design paradigms such as wear leveling and memory over-provisioning, the endurance of a storage system can be tuned to serve specific requirements.[19]

Guest skymera

Indeed. But it should takes years for nand to wear out.

Using a proper nand filesystem opposed to a block filesystem can extend life too...

Guest targetbsp

I provide support for SSD drives and I have to say I don't think you're gonna reach the limit with a once a day update on a phone so I wouldn't much worry about it. :D

Edited by targetbsp