CM7 Nightlies Topic [Nightly 28- 21/03/2011]

Guest Victor von Zeppelin

Guest samjam
So on Nightly 28 if you switch the governor to ondemand does battery drain go back to how it was on N25 ?

I had poor battery on N28 before I switched away from ondemand.

I'm wondering if it is to do with WLAN because that is disconnecting less, I'll test today...

Guest samjam
WTF :D

:D Look.

Well I'm glad - thanks untouchab1e (he who made the commit)

It makes it easier for me to distribute CM7 to my associates, less awkward questions from the wife, and to be honest it's on par with the sort of cruft that Orange stuff their phone with.

Guest hedgepigdaniel

I'm wondering if it is to do with WLAN because that is disconnecting less, I'll test today...

I would expect so - mine drained crazy fast with wifi on since the new wifi driver was introduced. I didn't put smartass on either

Guest forney27

Last night I had the problem where the phone went to sleep and wouldnt wake up- I had to take the battery our in order to reboot it.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Guest AsusFreak
I would expect so - mine drained crazy fast with wifi on since the new wifi driver was introduced. I didn't put smartass on either

+1

battery decreased from 74 to 46 in the night while using the OnDemand setting - that's heavy drain on N28: 4% per hour in standby.

Edited by AsusFreak

Guest samjam
Last night I had the problem where the phone went to sleep and wouldnt wake up- I had to take the battery our in order to reboot it.

I've had to look like that - I press power on and it takes a second before it wakes. If I didn't wait and pressed power again it turned off again (sleep) before the screen even lit. So it seemed broken.

if I waited a couple of seconds after each press (presuming I lost track of if it should be on or off at that point) then it came to life and was fine.

Others have confirmed this slow-to-wake behaviour.

Guest alex1alex2alex3alex4
battery decreased from 74 to 46 in the night while using the OnDemand setting - that's heavy drain on N28: 4% per hour in standby.

Still on 32% after now exactly 5 days with N23 :D

Guest forney27
Only if you using smartass governor, or downclock your CPU under 245 Mhz...

Cheers, your correct, Im using smartass, Ive have moved to ondemand, and hopefully that helps.

Guest Rotmann

I have done some testing and just talked to Tom_G and he will look at the Wi-Fi issue as the modules were not tested enough before merging, they just checked if it works and merged (CM7 stuff, not blade). Even if the Wi-Fi policy is set to disconnect when the display is off, wifi won't disconnect and keep the phone awake, resulting in crazy battery drain. After 30-45 minutes the wifi will eventually disconnect but not switch off, keeping the phone further awake. If you switch the phone on again, wifi is still on but won't reconnect automatically, though it sees the router in the list, you have to connect manually. The only solution right now is to switch WiFi off when not using anymore or to switch back to N25, Tom_G is looking at the problem and it will probably be solved in the next nightly.

Also regarding smartass, have done some testing, it looks like it's aimed at battery economy. It definitely cripples some 3D and 2D performance, for the sake of battery life. My preferred setting is OnDemand with minimum CPU set to 122 MHz, you have the best of both worlds.

Edited by Rotmann

Guest samjam
Only if you using smartass governor, or downclock your CPU under 245 Mhz...

No, I had it (and so did someone else) without enabling smartass

Guest samjam
I have done some testing and just talked to Tom_G and he will look at the Wi-Fi issue as the modules were not tested enough before merging, they just checked if it works and merged (CM7 stuff, not blade). Even if the Wi-Fi policy is set to disconnect when the display is off, wifi won't disconnect and keep the phone awake, resulting in crazy battery drain. After 30-45 minutes the wifi will eventually disconnect but not switch off, keeping the phone further awake. If you switch the phone on again, wifi is still on but won't reconnect automatically, though it sees the router in the list, you have to connect manually. The only solution right now is to switch WiFi off when not using anymore or to switch back to N25, Tom_G is looking at the problem and it will probably be solved in the next nightly.

Also regarding smartass, have done some testing, it looks like it's aimed at battery economy. It definitely cripples some 3D and 2D performance, for the sake of battery life. My preferred setting is OnDemand with minimum CPU set to 122 MHz, you have the best of both worlds.

I think you are right, I notice that menu button was waking the phone, meaning it was not properly asleep.

Guest ZakMcRofl

I had the exact same problem just now. I highly doubt it is just slow to wake up.

Battery Life (and Wifi) were so great with N24 and N25. Can't the just revert the questionable "smartass" kernel commit?

SmartAss works fine for me. I'm wondering if you guys do all the power-saving things you can

For example, turn off Facebook notification (if applicable), turn off ROM manager reporting, only have Wifi on when you need it, set Spare parts to put the phone to sleep on End button. etc, etc.

Guest The Soup Thief
SmartAss works fine for me. I'm wondering if you guys do all the power-saving things you can

For example, turn off Facebook notification (if applicable), turn off ROM manager reporting, only have Wifi on when you need it, set Spare parts to put the phone to sleep on End button. etc, etc.

I was astounded to see my battery having plummetted from mid nineties to mid fifties within a few hours today on smartass before noticing I'd left wifi on

Still a big drop, but since turning wifi off it's barely budged

School boy error, leaving wifi on ... (I was using ondemand governer at the time rather than smartass)

However, something does seem to have changed, in that yesterday with a very standard day's usage on n28 (with smartass) my battery was much nearer flat at bedtime than it has been on previous nightlies (wifi would have been on - though not actively used - for 6 hours or so by that point)

Sorry this is all so anecdotal, I'll keep quiet again...

Edited by The Soup Thief

I was astounded to see my battery having plummetted from mid nineties to mid fifties within a few hours today on smartass before noticing I'd left wifi on

Still a big drop, but since turning wifi off it's barely budged

School boy error, leaving wifi on ... (I was using ondemand governer at the time rather than smartass)

However, something does seem to have changed, in that yesterday with a very standard day's usage on n28 (with smartass) my battery was much nearer flat at bedtime than it has been on previous nightlies (wifi would have been on - though not actively used - for 6 hours or so by that point)

Sorry this is all so anecdotal, I'll keep quiet again...

Hell, anecdotal is how we do things round here!

I just learnt long ago, never to leave wifi on. Get everything done as quick as possible. If I wanted to do some quick facebooking, etc, use 2G. :D

Hence why, since the "real" battery fix, I've been consistently been getting 2/3 days out of the phone, And I pretty much use it like a toy.

Guest samjam
Hell, anecdotal is how we do things round here!

I just learnt long ago, never to leave wifi on. Get everything done as quick as possible. If I wanted to do some quick facebooking, etc, use 2G. :D

Hence why, since the "real" battery fix, I've been consistently been getting 2/3 days out of the phone, And I pretty much use it like a toy.

However I've always left wifi on with no special wifi settings and had great battery until N28. Only N28 is bad for leaving wifi on.

However I've always left wifi on with no special wifi settings and had great battery until N28. Only N28 is bad for leaving wifi on.

Well yes, Wifi is bad in N28. But I'm saying that otherwise, Battery life is fine, just Wifi that's causing problems, and people leaving wifi on too long in general.

Guest LeOLiX
I had the exact same problem just now. I highly doubt it is just slow to wake up.

Today this happens 2 times too. By pressing the Power button begin light LED in keys. Repeated pressing Power button light off LED (this cycle can be repeated indefinitely). But the screen at phone doesn't work. Pressing other buttons is useless. Only one solution of this problem - to take out and to insert again the battery...

Guest zorvalth
Today this happens 2 times too. By pressing the Power button begin light LED in keys. Repeated pressing Power button light off LED (this cycle can be repeated indefinitely). But the screen at phone doesn't work. Pressing other buttons is useless. Only one solution of this problem - to take out and to insert again the battery...

+1

Guest Ringli2k

the same problem here!!!

Guest fredewis

i keep getting reboot on nightly 28 and i made sure i did a full wipe any ideas? it seems to happen when sending a text or typing it sometimes just starts vibrating other it just freezes till it reboots.....

Guest alex1alex2alex3alex4
no N30 even tonight !!!!!!! i spent my night waiting for it

Big, big, big mistake, you should never do that, the build-bot sees it and makes fun of it :D