Android OS - How does it work?

Guest BarrySamuels

Guest BarrySamuels

I've been having random reboot problems with my Pulse and have sent it off for repair but I suspect they won't find anything wrong. That will leave only software to blame.

I know that the underlying OS is Linux but the Linux kernel shouldn't crash in the way that apparently happens on my phone. Does Android also use an X server? (I can't really see how it can get away without one)

I have experienced an X server crash on my desktop caused by software but that would leave one either at a command line prompt or a console log-in prompt neither of which would be of much use on an unrooted Android phone. Is it therefore designed such that if the graphics part crashes then the phone is automatically rebooted?

Guest elchverleiher
I've been having random reboot problems with my Pulse and have sent it off for repair but I suspect they won't find anything wrong. That will leave only software to blame.

I know that the underlying OS is Linux but the Linux kernel shouldn't crash in the way that apparently happens on my phone. Does Android also use an X server? (I can't really see how it can get away without one)

I have experienced an X server crash on my desktop caused by software but that would leave one either at a command line prompt or a console log-in prompt neither of which would be of much use on an unrooted Android phone. Is it therefore designed such that if the graphics part crashes then the phone is automatically rebooted?

Of course Linux can run a GUI without X. Just have a deep look at Macintosh... Future versions of Ubuntu will also work without X, just with a X-compatibility-layer for X-Programs.

I think that a real bad RAM-Bug (or some other severe hardware issue) would even Linux cause to crash.

Guest eckengucker1

Normale every process/program runs in his own virtual machine. hence if the phone crash in my opinion its caused by an error in the hal layer. am I wrong?

Guest AntonioPT

Android doesn't use an X server, there are many ways of displaying stuff on a screen without using X. Android uses a framebuffer implementation, I believe.

Guest hunk74
Android doesn't use an X server, there are many ways of displaying stuff on a screen without using X. Android uses a framebuffer implementation, I believe.

Not really sure how Linux innards work but I do believe some of the 2.1 releases were unstable due to the Pulse's low RAM memory.

This is remedied in Tom G's Cyanogenmod froyo rom by the compcache setting giving apps more breathing space and therefore allowing more stability and multitasking. Compcache really does work wonders on the pulse, it's genius.

Was your pulse stable running 1.5?

If not chances are the problem is hardware related.

If 1.5 was stable but 2.1 isn't it's most likely the software due to a corrupted installation or a crappy low quality rom.

Edited by hunk74

Guest BarrySamuels
Not really sure how Linux innards work but I do believe some of the 2.1 releases were unstable due to the Pulse's low RAM memory.

This is remedied in Tom G's Cyanogenmod froyo rom by the compcache setting giving apps more breathing space and therefore allowing more stability and multitasking. Compcache really does work wonders on the pulse, it's genius.

Was your pulse stable running 1.5?

If not chances are the problem is hardware related.

If 1.5 was stable but 2.1 isn't it's most likely the software due to a corrupted installation or a crappy low quality rom.

Mine was running the latest 2.1 official update. Generally it was quite stable but it seemed to be that any application involving street maps wouldn't last long before rebooting. I recently tried Google navigation (with verbal instructions) and I managed to get half way out of my parking space before the phone rebooted.

I started to suspect, after I'd sent the phone off for repair, that the problems may be Google Maps related especially when I saw, on the Internet, some people complaining that a recent version of Google maps was causing their phone to reboot.

Guest totiadrenalin
Mine was running the latest 2.1 official update. Generally it was quite stable but it seemed to be that any application involving street maps wouldn't last long before rebooting. I recently tried Google navigation (with verbal instructions) and I managed to get half way out of my parking space before the phone rebooted.

I started to suspect, after I'd sent the phone off for repair, that the problems may be Google Maps related especially when I saw, on the Internet, some people complaining that a recent version of Google maps was causing their phone to reboot.

Only Logcat can tell you what does cose the reboot.

First check:

Settings>Aplications>Running services

Stop all services.

If the rom you are using is rooted, then install the terminal emulator app from market

After that type this commands:

su

ps

(this will print you a list of all running processes)

(the numbers under PID are the proces ID's)

With command kill -9 xxxx ( xxxx = the PID of the process) you can kill any process that might could cose the problem.

For example:

kill -9 5122

At the end right side you can find the process you want to kill (end)

Look for something like this: com.android.vending (the market app)

I'm sorry.

I know that you'r not stupid, but please don't get me wrong.

I just want to make sure that anybody could understand me what m'I talking about!

Edited by totiadrenalin