An experimental CM7 Kernel

Guest t0mm13b

@wbaw,

Might wanna rephrase your comment on the issue @ code.google.com to say that it's been tested and works for quite a few people.

http://code.google.com/p/cyanogenmod/issue...tars%20Priority

i can't edit comments on there, i'd have to add another one & it's not worth 3 emails being sent to everyone that starred it ... i posted a link to this thread, so they can see it works for other people too now.

if you're running rc2 with the modified kernel, then you could post a message with a logcat of a call to confirm it's working on rc2.

Guest Frankish
Mine works & it has the kernel modules included, Frankish's doesn't have the modules. does it work without them frankish?

Oops i'm blind. Seems to work for me as it is though?

What t0mm1e upped doesn't have the modules either does it?

Nevermind i see he hasn't fixed his still :(

Edited by Frankish

Oops i'm blind. Seems to work for me as it is though?

What t0mm1e upped doesn't have the modules either does it?

No it doesn't, he edited the post later to say it 'was a bad one' because he didn't include the modules. He was struggling to create an update.zip that worked in clockwork 3 & updated the modules as well as the kernel. So he emailed me the files last night so i could fix the update script for him, because it was stupid o'clock & he was going to bed. posts #1 to #4 explain it.

Maybe it works without the modules, I didn't try that.

Edited by wbaw

Guest rayraven
i can't edit comments on there, i'd have to add another one & it's not worth 3 emails being sent to everyone that starred it ... i posted a link to this thread, so they can see it works for other people too now.

if you're running rc2 with the modified kernel, then you could post a message with a logcat of a call to confirm it's working on rc2.

I'm at work and cant flash RC2 till i get out.

Hopefully someone else can post a logcat.

Guest Frankish
No it doesn't, he edited the post later to say it 'was a bad one' because he didn't include the modules. He was struggling to create an update.zip that worked in clockwork 3 & updated the modules as well as the kernel. So he emailed me the files last night so i could fix the update script for him, because it was stupid o'clock & he was going to bed. posts #1 to #4 explain it.

Maybe it works without the modules, I didn't try that.

Looking at the modules i don't think they are needed to fix. However might aswell keep them in. I removed my post. I'm trying to be quick on computer while baby sleep :(

Guest walkies2000

Works for me , nightly 15 with proximity ticked, tried it earlier and it didnt work, went back to n8 then read further down this post about ticking the proximity, so installed again with the moded boot image,

ticked the proximity this time and the bloody thing worked.

Guest Rotmann
Looking at the modules i don't think they are needed to fix. However might aswell keep them in. I removed my post. I'm trying to be quick on computer while baby sleep :(

Tom_G confirmed on IRC that they should not be needed.

Tom_G confirmed on IRC that they should not be needed.

Might be better to put it back up if it works then, frankish ... the modules take up an extra 4mb on /system that we dont all have going spare :(

Edited by wbaw

Guest Grain
Well... I have enabled the options

CONFIG_ZTE_SUSPEND_WAKEUP_MONITOR=y

CONFIG_SCREEN_ON_WITHOUT_KEYOCDE=y

Interesting as TomG removed both these options some time ago. I wouldn't be surprised if that ZTE code did more than its documentation says. Also TomG seems to have changed some logic in that commit that to me looks quite suspicious concerning battery drain (I'm no kernel expert though).

I guess keeping the ZTE kernel code as-is for a quick stable RC is the way to go. Porting the changes necessary for the Blade to the normal Cyanogen kernel is the way to go in the long run. Lots of work though.

Edited by Grain

Guest targetbsp

Something for someone else to test. This fix has worked for me 2 out of 2 times with the phone as normal. But I took a call while the phone was charging and it didn't work! It's still obviously a massive improvement - I just wonder if anyone else has the same?

Guest monkeyfeatures

Worked for me on a couple of tests, including while charging.

My testing shows

- Without the "always use proximity" setting ticked the screen doesn't come back on

- With it ticked, but still using the CM7 kernel it doesn't work either

- With the experimental kernel + setting ticked, it does seem to wake up after a call! :(

Guest rayraven
Interesting as TomG removed both these options some time ago. I wouldn't be surprised if that ZTE code did more than its documentation says. Also TomG seems to have changed some logic in that commit that to me looks quite suspicious concerning battery drain (I'm no kernel expert though).

I guess keeping the ZTE kernel code as-is for a quick stable RC is the way to go. Porting the changes necessary for the Blade to the normal Cyanogen kernel is the way to go in the long run. Lots of work though.

Interesting, if Tom G removed the code for these options, how is it that they fixed the Proximity Sensor?

Or did t0mm13b put this code back in the kernel?

Guest chall32

Tried it, and cant get the black screen at all!!!!! On call, phone up, phone down, phone up, phone down, other end hang up first.... no black screen!

WOW! Keep up the good work :(

I've put the boot.img in a clockwork flashable zip if anyone is interested. It's how I installed the updated kernel and it's available here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17212049/t0mm13b_Kernel_update.zip

@t0mm13b : Feel free to put this link in the first post

Guest gingerninja

Just made a call and its back :( a quick cover of the sensor brought the screen back though. Seems better than before but still a bit random.

Screen now staying black every time, covering sensor brings it back on. It worked perfectly on 5 test calls immediately after flashing new kernal. The phone was then left about 1 hour then problem returned. No changes to settings were made in this time.

Edited by gingerninja

Guest targetbsp

That's what worried me about my on charge problem. If no-one else has a problem with it on charge (and someone above said they didn't) then what in fact happened is the screen only recovered 2 out of 3 times for me. :(

I suspect a better outcome would have been broken on charge and working 100% off charge.

That looks interesting, maybe it is the SCREEN_ON_WITHOUT_KEYOCDE that does it, looks like some nasty misspelled zte hack that fixes everything & makes it all work to me, but tom g didn't remove much of that code with that commit.

---help---

- Use battery uevent interface to screen on LCD.We use keycode to light the lcd before.THis is not a good idea!

At first glance, I'd say the ZTE_SUSPEND_WAKEUP_MONITOR bit is some fairly useless debugging code.

Guest zaf_4

I am using nightly 15 and i used the last zip, i tested and it works fine to me.

Thanks a lot... cause that was an issue for me... now it's just awesome!

Guest Frankish

Just made a long call to T-mobile. Tested covering for 2+ minutes, woke straight away. Repeated cover uncover, woke straight up. Charging and calling...woke straight up. Awesome sauce.

Guest simonckenyon
It adds a lot of extra modules to the /system partition, so you'll need at least 4.5mb free on there to install it.

what about wlan.ko?

Guest k0nrad

I guess it requires some longshot testing to prove it's super effective* But first results are optimistic enough to make me return to CM7 as a day-to-day ROM (talk about persistence - I managed hardly two days without it!)

*) Yeah, got hooked on Pokemon again with B/W premiere. Only I went vintage and play Leaf Green once again :(