An experimental CM7 Kernel

Guest t0mm13b

Guest t0mm13b
If I install this kernel, how to activate the USB HOST mode ? (I have the adaptator)

The problem at the moment is there is no clean and easy way to do the setting up of usb host mode... IIRC, once you go into USB host mode, battery charging via USB is disabled... not 100% sure here... there was a Mode Switcher package available for the Advent Vega (which was meant to go out on github but suspect it was never pushed out for reasons by Paul O'Brien....???! Dunno why - could try asking him via PM to disclose the sources....)

Guest Omar93
The problem at the moment is there is no clean and easy way to do the setting up of usb host mode... IIRC, once you go into USB host mode, battery charging via USB is disabled... not 100% sure here... there was a Mode Switcher package available for the Advent Vega (which was meant to go out on github but suspect it was never pushed out for reasons by Paul O'Brien....???! Dunno why - could try asking him via PM to disclose the sources....)

Thanks for your answer, I will try to ask him :D

Guest Sven Killig
IIRC, once you go into USB host mode, battery charging via USB is disabled... not 100% sure here...

I had the impression that it still charged, but am not 100% sure either.

there was a Mode Switcher package available for the Advent Vega

I think it switched between booting boot.img/recovery.img

Edited by Sven Killig

Guest t0mm13b

Hi guys,

The kernel is based on TomG's Experimental branch on his github.

And....

It currently uses the RC4 release of CM7.

Specifically, Sven Killig's sources were for the 2.6.29 kernel series, I slightly modified it to use the 2.6.32 from Nexus One USB Host version that uses the same chipset 7201 for USB OTG.

Can you please test this out , flash it via ClockworkMod, and try out the USB OTG...

• USB Mass Storage
  • USB HID support (keyboard/mouse)
  • USB Serial like PL2303 adapter

Due to the size constraints of the package, I have it uploaded to DropBox here.

Can you let me know if this works or not? - specifically, from adb shell

• Check the logcat via adb -v logcat
    • dmesg > /sdcard/Experimental_dmesg.log and pastebin the results

I will root around and see if I can find a convenient way to switch to USB Host mode and back again

Cheers \o/

Edited by t0mm13b

Guest FelixL

I have an adapter and totally want to try this. Are you gone be online in IRC later this evening? I will be home around 9 and can live-report than.

Edit: 9PM German time, that is, if Ireland uses DST, it's 8PM for you.

Edited by FelixL

Guest t0mm13b
I have an adapter and totally want to try this. Are you gone be online in IRC later this evening? I will be home around 9 and can live-report than.

Edit: 9PM German time, that is, if Ireland uses DST, it's 8PM for you.

Great! B) \o/ Thanks FelixL... will be in #zteblade channel on freenode :D

Guest JayGB1982

I just tried to flash this.... Seems I'm stuck in a bootloop?

The honeycomb bootscreen has been going for about 10 mins or so now?

Please note: I have said bootscreen which I pushed via Terminal. I also use wbaw's partition mod and am on RC4

EDIT: While typing it just got to the homescreen... YAY IT WORKS

Anyone thinking they may be in a bootloop... Just wait.... Have a little patience? ( I can't believe I just quoted Take That!!) lol

I dont have a USB TG adaptor so can't provide feedback in relation to that aspect of this kernel.

What changes can / should I look out for over stock RC4 kernel? eg. GPS shutdown fixed?

Guest Victor von Zeppelin

El T0mmbo! Is this Kernel literally Tom G's experimental branch as of 3 this morning? And thus contains all the recent fixes?

Guest t0mm13b
El T0mmbo! Is this Kernel literally Tom G's experimental branch as of 3 this morning? And thus contains all the recent fixes?

Yup! :D

Guest gingerninja

Hi

Can you provide download link, first post dont look to have been updated for a while. Sorry if I have missed it.

Thanks

Andy

Guest Shadow_2k

@gingerninja: He linked it on page nine post #179

Link is located in the 2nd half (drop box reference)

Edit: link to post didn't work

Edited by Shadow_2k

Guest Victor von Zeppelin
Yup! :D

Spiffedy Spiff, Awesome

Hi

Can you provide download link, first post dont look to have been updated for a while. Sorry if I have missed it.

Thanks

Andy

It's on the last page, nice long post by T0mm13b.

Guest t0mm13b
Spiffedy Spiff, Awesome

It's on the last page, nice long post by T0mm13b.

Hope one of you has the 100% correct version of the USB OTG adaptor as I know there was a thread on it awhile back and tbqh I did find it a bit uncertain as to which one is it... :D

Guest t0mm13b

FelixL made an extremely good point...

You need to activate adb over wireless (which you can find on the market), install it, activate wifi on your handset, and start up adb over wifi, in that way you can get at the logcat, adb shell in this way... totally forgot about this in hindsight.... durrrhhhh!!! :D

Cheers to FelixL for pointing out the omission!!! B)

Edited by t0mm13b

Guest t0mm13b
Green android man now for about 30 mins. Battery pull?

you have the usb power cable plugged in ?

Un plug it and the handset should boot normally?

Guest gingerninja

No usb conected, removed battery and phone booted fine. About phone says kernel version 2.6.32.9-perf t0mm13b@tribbles#1. When I conect charger it charges from ac. When I conect to pc windows said installing drivers, zte usb modem (2) is installed. On the phone I have option to turn on usb storage on pull down bar as normal and shows as charging through usb. Cant test usb host tonight.

Many thanks for your efforts in improving our phones.

Andy

Guest FelixL

FelixL <6>[04-05 19:39:37.417970] msm_otg_resume: usb exited from low power mode

22:13 FelixL <6>[04-05 19:39:34.457963] [4: events/0]msm_otg_suspend:Process mising BSV

t0mm13b oh...

t0mm13b hmmm.... BSV....

22:14 t0mm13b there's a lot of VBUS on/off....

22:15 t0mm13b that's defo related to USB OTG

If somebody wants full dmesg I can provide. t0mm13b is currently compiling a new version with automount and support for fat32.

Guest JayGB1982
How about the GPS shutdown issue? Anyone tested it already?

I've had 2 re-boots when using the latest kernel under RC4.

Seems its when using GPS for more then 20 mins or so then it occurs..

I can dip in and out of GPS for say 5 mins at a time no issue.

EDIT - Just had GPS on for over a hour...This time over 3G no re-boot so far... Seems a bit hit and miss

Edited by JayGB1982

Guest t0mm13b
I've had 2 re-boots when using the latest kernel under RC4.

Seems its when using GPS for more then 20 mins or so then it occurs..

I can dip in and out of GPS for say 5 mins at a time no issue.

EDIT - Just had GPS on for over a hour...This time over 3G no re-boot so far... Seems a bit hit and miss

;)

Please... stop cross posting.... B)

what has this got to do with this thread which is focussed on getting USB OTG to work.... :D

Guest JayGB1982
;)

Please... stop cross posting.... B)

what has this got to do with this thread which is focussed on getting USB OTG to work.... :D

As I was using this experimental kernel I thought best to provide feedback here as well? :D

People may be thinking that this kernel fixes the GPS re-boot issue, Which to my experience it doesn't.

Just trying to provide constructive feedback which you may find useful really :D

Guest t0mm13b
As I was using this experimental kernel I thought best to provide feedback here as well? :(

People may be thinking that this kernel fixes the GPS re-boot issue, Which to my experience it doesn't.

Just trying to provide constructive feedback which you may find useful really :D

Right... the GPS issue can be filed elsewhere as really, by right, you should be using the latest release... ;) :D

Uhmmm... am a bit flummoxed at this stage as I do not know where/why/how the GPS thing is b0rk3d... B)

Really, this thread is about USB OTG.... uhmm....

Might be best to try out the RC4 release or the latest nightly that might address the problem you are experiencing.

The build comes from TomG's stable code, this experimental build comes from an unstable code ... :( and is not fit for general day-to-day use... but uhh... could you leave reply back with a pastebin of the output from dmesg by doing this inside adb shell

dmesg > /sdcard/dmesg_log.txt

Then get out of the adb shell, and issue this adb pull /sdcard/dmesg_log.txt and open it up in a text editor and copy/paste into pastebin.com...

Will try have a look and see anyway... but right now the focus is on USB OTG... :D