orange san francisco; stuck in boot loop

Guest sfofan

Guest sfofan

New member, so please go easy on me now.

Bought a new orange san francisco,

Firmware version:

2.1-update1

Kernel version:

Build number:

OUK_P729BV1.0.0B10

Out of sheer curiosity, decided to use a custom rom.

In preparation of this installed Astro file manager. Armed myself with necessary software found here.

I had unlocked the phone for free. tested using o2 and vodafone and works fine.

As per the guide,

1. Installed and rooted using universal androot v1.6.1 - which went ok

2. Installed recovery manager v0.34b - went ok initially, forced closed after that, after searching this wonderful forum of tinkerers, found I have to root again, which solved this problem

3. Installed clockworkmod 3.0.0.5 - went ok

3. Tried installing r12-update-modacocustomrom-blade-kitchen-unsigned.zip, install went ok, restarted and went into boot loop.

Tried few other custom roms including japanese jellyfish, flb etc... all having the same problem.

Ofcourse, I had "wiped" before installing these roms using the recovery manager the cache and data/factory restore.

I searched some more on this forum and found that I have to format /system using recovery manager which I did.

Only good thing that I did was backed up the existing rom using recovery manager. Was able to restore to backup to return to working phone.

I am lost. Need some help please. I do not like the look and feel of Orange UI, really want to see some of the wonderful software you guys have built in particular Andriod froyo as lean as possible since battery saving is of primary importance to last me a day of heavy usage.

I haven't tried tpt method of getting software, not brave enough for it.

Can someone help me please.

Regards.

Guest rapidone
New member, so please go easy on me now.

Bought a new orange san francisco,

Firmware version:

2.1-update1

Kernel version:

Build number:

OUK_P729BV1.0.0B10

Out of sheer curiosity, decided to use a custom rom.

In preparation of this installed Astro file manager. Armed myself with necessary software found here.

I had unlocked the phone for free. tested using o2 and vodafone and works fine.

As per the guide,

1. Installed and rooted using universal androot v1.6.1 - which went ok

2. Installed recovery manager v0.34b - went ok initially, forced closed after that, after searching this wonderful forum of tinkerers, found I have to root again, which solved this problem

3. Installed clockworkmod 3.0.0.5 - went ok

3. Tried installing r12-update-modacocustomrom-blade-kitchen-unsigned.zip, install went ok, restarted and went into boot loop.

Tried few other custom roms including japanese jellyfish, flb etc... all having the same problem.

Ofcourse, I had "wiped" before installing these roms using the recovery manager the cache and data/factory restore.

I searched some more on this forum and found that I have to format /system using recovery manager which I did.

Only good thing that I did was backed up the existing rom using recovery manager. Was able to restore to backup to return to working phone.

I am lost. Need some help please. I do not like the look and feel of Orange UI, really want to see some of the wonderful software you guys have built in particular Andriod froyo as lean as possible since battery saving is of primary importance to last me a day of heavy usage.

I haven't tried tpt method of getting software, not brave enough for it.

Can someone help me please.

Regards.

Use Clockword-Mod 2.5.1.8 (recovery-clockwork-2.5.1.8-blade.zip) for the froyo roms. Not all are compatible with version 3.x

And do a factory reset + cache clear + dalvik cache clear (subfolder advanced) before installing the froyo rom.

Does that help?

Guest sfofan
Use Clockword-Mod 2.5.1.8 (recovery-clockwork-2.5.1.8-blade.zip) for the froyo roms. Not all are compatible with version 3.x

And do a factory reset + cache clear + dalvik cache clear (subfolder advanced) before installing the froyo rom.

Does that help?

It was Clockword-Mod 2.5.1.8 that I initially tried which had the boot loop problem, actually I followed the guide to the word, I had already cleared dalvik cache before every flash.

Any other suggestions please?.

Guest sfofan
Are you checking the MD5's of your Files?

Can you try a different SDCard?

Hello StevenHarperUK,

Thanks for the quick reply, I did check md5 on the astro for the downloaded rom zip files and the clockworkmod. I do not have another sd card. however, once the rom is installed, i have tried removing the sd card and booting in, which resulted in the same boot screen which i pretty much hate now.

I went from a total noob to starting understanding most of the stuff talked here, which is great.

On the lighter note, I have already worn out the rear cover and the battery a bit due to opening it about 100 times already. :-)

I have mcafee software on my computer but if the antivirus has corrupted the file the md5 would have been wrong though.

I will try to find a new sd card now.

Thanks very much.

Guest sfofan

I have wiped everything again, davlik, formatted system.

New sd card, tried to flash the rom and still stuck in the andriod logo where the phone waits for about 3 mins, then reboots to andriod logo again and repeats.

Any help really appreciated, otherwise I will have to restore backup and be content with it.

Guest pellonet
I have wiped everything again, davlik, formatted system.

New sd card, tried to flash the rom and still stuck in the andriod logo where the phone waits for about 3 mins, then reboots to andriod logo again and repeats.

Any help really appreciated, otherwise I will have to restore backup and be content with it.

Well if you are able to restore your original ROM then we must assume that your SD card is OK, I would re-download the chosen ROM & check it against the MD5 & try again as unless you have a faulty phone then the only explanation is that you are not getting something quite right, don't give up, the thought of being stuck with a Sanfran with all that horrendous crapware is enough to severely traumatise the vast proportion of the membership here.

When you are in the process of installing the new ROM, are you watching the screen to verify that it is being done successfully?

Guest sfofan
Have you tried using clockwork manually rather than through recovery manager?

I have tried using the clockwork manually and using the recovery manager too. all efforts to put in a new rom failed.

I cannot understand if the phone is faulty since the osf rom work which came with the phone works just fine.

Guest sfofan
Well if you are able to restore your original ROM then we must assume that your SD card is OK, I would re-download the chosen ROM & check it against the MD5 & try again as unless you have a faulty phone then the only explanation is that you are not getting something quite right, don't give up, the thought of being stuck with a Sanfran with all that horrendous crapware is enough to severely traumatise the vast proportion of the membership here.

When you are in the process of installing the new ROM, are you watching the screen to verify that it is being done successfully?

Hello Peter

I have re-downloaded the rom and checked the md5 as specified in the respective download pages, I have even tried 3 other rom to eliminate the doubt of compatibility.

Thanks.

Guest pellonet
Hello Peter

I have re-downloaded the rom and checked the md5 as specified in the respective download pages, I have even tried 3 other rom to eliminate the doubt of compatibility.

Thanks.

This is very strange, I managed to pick-up a spare, brand new Sanfran for experiment & testing earlier this week, this one is exactly the same spec. as yours & bearing in mind that these latest generation units have been altered in the boot process, I used the same process you have with Recovery Manager to get the recovery system in place & I was able to flash CM7 RC2 without any problem, I subsequently installed ROM Manager which allows the latest clockwork to be installed & I have re-flashed this ROM a number of times without issue including the experimental Honeycomb ROM.

The fact that you are able to flash your original working ROM back again means that there isn't anything wrong with the phone so by a process of elimination & with every respect to your technical ability, you have got to be getting something wrong somewhere.

As advised earlier, go into Clockwork manually with' Power On & Vol Down & select 'install from SD card' & 'choose zip from SD card' & watch the process for any errors.

Guest sfofan

Those you have successfully flashed a ROM to a kernel similar to mine, can you please let me know the versions of diff software you used?.

Thanks.

Guest gladiamos

Hello Sfofan,

I have same problem here.

hi all,

I had a ZTE for 1 month, i installed clockwork recovery and test few mod roms, everything worked well.

But it crashed (don't detect any sim) i put it stock and send it to orange (warranty).

Orange send me a new one.

Problem is the new one, i have install clockwork recovery, can install any custom Rom with no error, but it never boot(stay at the green android logo), tried all wipes possible etc... i've read all guides and don't know why....

With clockwork the only rom who works are the officials one (Orange rom, etc...).

I tried to reinstall all partition with a TPT rom but seem to not resolve the problem.

Any idea ??

Guest sfofan
Hello Sfofan,

I have same problem here.

I have totally dropped the idea of using custom ROM since I did not make much progress. Restored the stock ROM which I backed-up initially luckly.

I think the problem may be with Universal androot, which is not holding the root or some other problem which I do not recognise.

Will try again when I gather courage :-)

Please update on this if you manage to get it working.

Guest gladiamos

I do lot of test and i find that i can only install official roms 2.1 and custom roms in 2.1.

Alls 2.2 and 2.3 roms can't be installed !!!!

WTF ?

• 8 months later...