Confused - Does Paul's custom ROM support ext4 for sd-ext?

Guest luthepa1

Guest luthepa1

Ok so I am running the r1 custom ROM on my Galaxy Tab which I understand has the custom kernel r3 included in it. I flashed the ext4 version so the file system was converted to ext4.

Now hopefully someone can tell me if I miss-understand but I am trying to use a external microSD card (sd-ext mount point) that is formatted as ext4. But basically the Tab tells me its a unsupported format. Is there some sort of trick I need to do or is only fat32 supported for internal/external media?

Guest RunTimeWorld

yes you are confused indeed. its written all over the place that ext4 is a must, as well as that CWM does convert sdcard to ext4

Guest luthepa1

I see. Well I am using ext4 kernel so I have ext4 support. I have tried formatting in CMW yet I do not get sdcard formatted as ext4. In CMW I went to Advanced -> Format sdcard. When I connect to desktop PC all sdcards are FAT32. If in CMW I goto menu option of "Mounts and storage" I con not mount or format either internal or external scard. It gives error that such directory does not exist. I assume the format script is looking for different naming of mount points.

I have also tried formatting the sdcard under GParted live CD to get true ext4 partition. I used a media card adapter on PC and not using the galaxy tab itself. But when I insert the sdcard back into galaxy tab it does not recognize the sdcard format (even though its ext4).

So either CMW does something a little different to the partition table when making a ext4 partition for android or this kernel does not support ext4 on sdcards.

I have been searching this Galaxy Tab forum, XDA, and google searching. But no luck. I mean there seems to be so many questions and info on CMW but I am yet to find one addressing my issue. If you are aware of a link to info in my issue could you kindly point me in the right direction please? Thanks.

Guest RunTimeWorld
I see. Well I am using ext4 kernel so I have ext4 support. I have tried formatting in CMW yet I do not get sdcard formatted as ext4. In CMW I went to Advanced -> Format sdcard. When I connect to desktop PC all sdcards are FAT32. If in CMW I goto menu option of "Mounts and storage" I con not mount or format either internal or external scard. It gives error that such directory does not exist. I assume the format script is looking for different naming of mount points.

I have also tried formatting the sdcard under GParted live CD to get true ext4 partition. I used a media card adapter on PC and not using the galaxy tab itself. But when I insert the sdcard back into galaxy tab it does not recognize the sdcard format (even though its ext4).

So either CMW does something a little different to the partition table when making a ext4 partition for android or this kernel does not support ext4 on sdcards.

I have been searching this Galaxy Tab forum, XDA, and google searching. But no luck. I mean there seems to be so many questions and info on CMW but I am yet to find one addressing my issue. If you are aware of a link to info in my issue could you kindly point me in the right direction please? Thanks.

Get the Euro Bootstrap from the Market, it will install CWM, boot, convert to ext4 and you're fine.

Note: This will only work if your bootloader is not locked, else you end up stucked in the reboot process.