Really poor battery life

Guest chrisrich85

Guest chrisrich85

Hi all, first post here. I have done some searching and found a few helpful tips but im still having major battery issues.

So i have the r8 rom, no widgets running. i have launcher pro and no apps that auto sign in such as facebook and alike.

i have disabled the phone element using the tutorial on here.

im still getting really bad battery life, im going from 100% to 20% in about 3 hours of standby. I charged the vega last night to 100% and when i woke up this morning about 8 hours later the battery was totally dead. in the system info app it tells me that 78% of my battery drain is while the device is idle!!! how can this happen?

is anyone else having similar issues? im tempted to return the device if i don't get anywhere with it for a replacement.

any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated

Guest trevor432990

Can you check you have applied the phone standby power removal tweak as described in the post two below yours entitled 'battery power' and if not follow the instructions I've just given Goldmaxx that should help. :D

Guest chrisrich85
Can you check you have applied the phone standby power removal tweak as described in the post two below yours entitled 'battery power' and if not follow the instructions I've just given Goldmaxx that should help. :D

hi thanks for quick response, yep thats exactly what i did today and im still down 50% battery in less than an hour :( - i think i might re flash to stock and see if i get the same issues and then go back to R8.

Guest Matty Dee
hi thanks for quick response, yep thats exactly what i did today and im still down 50% battery in less than an hour :D - i think i might re flash to stock and see if i get the same issues and then go back to R8.

I know the feeling. Got mine last week and while my battery isnt as bad as yours its still very poor. Same issue i think. Modaco rom and have removed phone apk etc but battery use lists device idle as using nearly all the battey?

Edited by Matty Dee

Guest trevor432990

Well to put things into context here are some battery figures from my Vega which I believe is running fine. My current stats say :-

19h 9m 1s since unplugged - Device Idle 92% Display 6% Wi-fi 4%

But my current battery level still shows 85% which assuming it was 100% when power adapter unplugged means when idling it's using 1% of battery life each 70 minutes which equates to a total standby time of approx 4.8 days which is pretty close to the advertised 4 days standby.

So the question is not what % of idle is displayed but how much battery life it takes whilst in standby. Can you provide your battery stats so we can check these please?

Edited by trevor432990

Guest chrisrich85
Well to put things into context here are some battery figures from my Vega which I believe is running fine. My current stats say :-

19h 9m 1s since unplugged - Device Idle 92% Display 6% Wi-fi 4%

But my current battery level still shows 85% which assuming it was 100% when power adapter unplugged means when idling it's using 1% of battery life each 70 minutes which equates to a total standby time of approx 4.8 days which is pretty close to the advertised 4 days standby.

So the question is not what % of idle is displayed but how much battery life it takes whilst in standby. Can you provide your battery stats so we can check these please?

Hi

Time since unplugged 2hrs 33 mins, device idle 92%, display 5%, wifi 4%

Battery is showing 79% that seems pretty poor to me!

Guest trevor432990
Hi

Time since unplugged 2hrs 33 mins, device idle 92%, display 5%, wifi 4%

Battery is showing 79% that seems pretty poor to me!

Was it 100% charged when you unplugged it and do you have Bluetooth running by any chance?

Guest matthijskox

I've had this problem since i got my Vega too. I've tested the battery by looping a divx film and it ran for 7.5 hours so I don't thinks it is a hardware thing. I've removed the telephone things but this makes no difference. Bluetooth is off.

Guest chrisrich85
Was it 100% charged when you unplugged it and do you have Bluetooth running by any chance?

Yep it was def 100% charged bluetooth is off

Guest trevor432990

Does sound a bit rubbish but if you are wanting to do more research into why I've been doing some delving and found that Android keeps more detailed battery usage information which it keeps squirreled away and the only way to get to it (as far as I know) is by using an app. If you download the free app called 'Any Cut' from the Market then pick a free area on your HOME screen and long press on it a menu will pop-up then select SHORTCUT > ANY CUT > ACTIVITY > BATTERY HISTORY. You can then use the icon it creates to carry out more detailed investigation into what might be causing your battery to drain so fast. Still getting to grips with it myself but it should hopefully aid the process. In your case I would try clicking the 'Since last unplugged' dropdown menu and change it to 'Total in all time' and see what that shows you. Let me know how you get on? :D

Guest trevor432990
Can you post the link to the disabling the phone feature you spoke about? Thanks

The link is in the topic two below this one entitled 'battery power'

Edited by trevor432990

Guest chrisrich85

Finally gave in and went to return it. Called up Dixons.co.uk and they let me go into a Currys digital to swap it out which i thought was a great service.

ill give this one a full charge and see how i get on :D

Interestingly the new one has a different charger, not sure if that would make a diff but we will see.

thanks for the posts so far ill keep people posted

Edited by chrisrich85

Guest chrisrich85

Looks like it was the device

New one fully charged with r8 on im 5 hrs 26 mins since unplugged and its only just hit 89% thats a fantastic improvement.

Id suggest to any1 having serious battery issues to get an exchange

Thannks again for the help

Edited by chrisrich85

Guest chrisrich85
That's great, thinking about returning my vega too! Is the battery life still good after some use?

Well mine is still on same charge ad previous post and im at 68% with a lot of use - so current stats are 17hrs 51mins since unplugged, device idle 87%, display 8%. wifi 6%. IM very impressed with this one.

Guest jastonas

Hello! I am having serious issues with battery life while in standby mode. I saw over on xda other people having the same problem but no fix. I tried stock, I tried pauls latest rom, I also tried the add-on found on xda (mostly gapps - spare parts - root) and still nothing. I just reverted to stock but I dont see that helping?

Flashing buzz's kernel could help? Is my vega problematic? Bad thing is I had it shipped and now I am in Greece so I have to return it to pcworld UK. Will they replace or refund?

Guest Touch Graphite

Just a theory of mine,

does anyone suffering with battery drains after a full recharge, leave they're charger plugged into the vega even though they've switched it off at the wall!?

Guest jastonas
Just a theory of mine,

does anyone suffering with battery drains after a full recharge, leave they're charger plugged into the vega even though they've switched it off at the wall!?

No it has the issue at any state of battery...

Guest chrisrich85
But are you leaving the charger plugged into the vega even though you've turned it off at the wall!?

mine didn't, i took it off charge right after a 100% charge and it still did the same thing