Using an External Touch Screen Monitor to Control Vega

Guest Wagster

Guest Wagster

Hi guys,

Is there any way to connect a Vega (or any android device for that matter) to an external touch screen monitor and control the Vega via the large monitor?

I understand it is pretty easy to watch movies etc on a bigger monitor but I am wanting to actually use the touch screen input of the monitor to control the Vega.

My aim is to use this as an entertainment system on a 22" (anything over 15") touch screen in a VW campervan conversion project :D

Any help hugely appreciated. If we achieve this with your help we would be happy to document instructions & on video (remembering to credit you all, as want to contribute to the forum too !

Cheers,

Wag

Guest trevor432990
Hi guys,

Is there any way to connect a Vega (or any android device for that matter) to an external touch screen monitor and control the Vega via the large monitor?

I understand it is pretty easy to watch movies etc on a bigger monitor but I am wanting to actually use the touch screen input of the monitor to control the Vega.

My aim is to use this as an entertainment system on a 22" (anything over 15") touch screen in a VW campervan conversion project :D

Any help hugely appreciated. If we achieve this with your help we would be happy to document instructions & on video (remembering to credit you all, as want to contribute to the forum too !

Cheers,

Wag

What interfaces does the touch screen monitor have? If it just has VGA port or DIVx cable I can't see how that would work as the Vega would not have sufficient power to drive the monitor let alone connect to it in the first place? If it was separately powered and had a USB or HDMI input then there might be some kind of interaction possibly. Let us know what monitor you had in mind?

Edited by trevor432990

Guest Bobbler

Personally I wouldn't go this route as it's comparatively expensive for low overall functionality

£250 for the Vega

£250 for a monitor such as a Viewsonic VX2258WM

+ whatever for the storage for your media

+ you will probably want a remote/keyboard mouse for when you are lounging in bed etc if you are anything like us in the motorhome :D

Even then I am not 100% that the multi-touch of the monitor would work via the USB input of the Vega - would probably treat it as a mouse.

Without even looking that hard I found a proper PC "All in one" with touch screen and 22" monitor for £500 (I was surprised the spec was good too! Intel core2 CPU, 4GB of ram, 500GB disk, TV tuner, WIFI, Bluetooth etc) , run what you want on that - great software like XBMC would be perfect for media playback via touch input and far more flexible on formats than the Vega.

The Vega is a great device for what it is meant for (portable, supplemental device with long battery life) , but as soon as you start talking about tethering it to anything it looses the edge IMO.

Guest Wagster

Thanks for your input.

The power supply would be separate but also a consideration for the campervan. I've seen some touch screen monitors with HDMI and some with USB conections.

I've had a play with some all-in-one PCs with touchscreen monitors. They are great looking bits of kit but for me the experience is let down by one thing - Windows 7. I'd like to be able to use simple apps and play angry birds etc on a bigger screen. I know it's a mad idea!!

Guest Tony Williams
Thanks for your input.

The power supply would be separate but also a consideration for the campervan. I've seen some touch screen monitors with HDMI and some with USB conections.

I've had a play with some all-in-one PCs with touchscreen monitors. They are great looking bits of kit but for me the experience is let down by one thing - Windows 7. I'd like to be able to use simple apps and play angry birds etc on a bigger screen. I know it's a mad idea!!

Hmm interesting idea. I constructed a car pc a while ago which used a 7 inch touchscreen that had a vga input for video and used usb for touchscreen control of the pc. I guess if you could find a similar device with hdmi for the video and usb for the touchscreen control then this could potentially be used with the vega. The biggest problem i would think would be getting android to recognise the input from the external touchscreen. Not sure if this can be done but there are some very clever people that read this forum so you never know :D

Edited by Tony Williams