Japanese Jellyfish - Remixed, Refreshed

Guest Len Ash

Guest Len Ash
Have you used FLB?

Plenty - I did a remix of that too. Some like FLB, some don't.

There is, in fact, very little difference between any 2.2 ROMs, battery life wise. Most issues are rogue app or user.

Guest Matthew Ferguson
Plenty - I did a remix of that too. Some like FLB, some don't.

There is, in fact, very little difference between any 2.2 ROMs, battery life wise. Most issues are rogue app or user.

I know you've tried many, as you said. I was asking the poster above :)

There's a HUGE difference in battery life between FLB and JJ, and even SS and MCR r12. I've tried all 4 and used them for LONG periods of time, and noticed this. All running the same apps and settings.

It seems to go, in terms of best to worst: FLB, MCR r12, SS, JJ.

Guest Len Ash
I know you've tried many, as you said. I was asking the poster above :)

There's a HUGE difference in battery life between FLB and JJ, and even SS and MCR r12. I've tried all 4 and used them for LONG periods of time, and noticed this. All running the same apps and settings.

It seems to go, in terms of best to worst: FLB, MCR r12, SS, JJ.

My order would be (based on 3 phones running MY variants simultaneously, same apps, same sync, same charge cycles) JJ, MCR, SS, FLB - BUT there is little in it.

What kills battery life (and I'm ONLY talking about clean batt stats before ROM load) tends to be:

Any FM Radio version

Not using screen off/power off in WiFi

Crap autobrightness control in some ROMs

Sheddy apps

Poor 2G/3G signal strength

WiFi (with Notification OFF) and GPS can be left on permanently - they are only powered up when required

"Browsing" in any ROM on WiFi or 3G/H will drop the battery about 1% per 1-2 minutes.... nothing can be done about that. The screen, radio and CPU are all maxed.

Guest Matthew Ferguson
My order would be (based on 3 phones running MY variants simultaneously, same apps, same sync, same charge cycles) JJ, MCR, SS, FLB - BUT there is little in it.

What kills battery life (and I'm ONLY talking about clean batt stats before ROM load) tends to be:

Any FM Radio version

Not using screen off/power off in WiFi

Crap autobrightness control in some ROMs

Sheddy apps

Poor 2G/3G signal strength

WiFi (with Notification OFF) and GPS can be left on permanently - they are only powered up when required

"Browsing" in any ROM on WiFi or 3G/H will drop the battery about 1% per 1-2 minutes.... nothing can be done about that. The screen, radio and CPU are all maxed.

1. JJ has a big partial wake issue which drains battery. This has been noted frequently around the forum.

2. You can't leave the wifi switched on and it not drain battery. As the chip is being powered, this is untrue.

3. On FLB, browsing on Wifi or 3G will NOT drop the battery around 1% every minute, if your phone is doing this it's a clear battery drain issue with JJ.

4. I had no issues with Radio draining battery in FLB. Possibly an issue with the JJ kernel dealing with radio draining battery...

Guest Len Ash
1. JJ has a big partial wake issue which drains battery. This has been noted frequently around the forum.

2. You can't leave the wifi switched on and it not drain battery. As the chip is being powered, this is untrue.

3. On FLB, browsing on Wifi or 3G will NOT drop the battery around 1% every minute, if your phone is doing this it's a clear battery drain issue with JJ.

4. I had no issues with Radio draining battery in FLB. Possibly an issue with the JJ kernel dealing with radio draining battery...

1) Not AOSP...

2) It is only enabled, not powered (as long as Notification is off)

3) I was talking about FLB...

4) Andorko's FM Radio won't unload once used, so the battery continues to run down.

Guest Gilthoniel

Hi, I'm a noob when it comes to android and flashing. So when I saw your 'one file, one flash' thread, i was quite excited. Then I saw the multitude of ROMs to choose from!

For a noob, which ROM would you recommend? I'd greatly appreciate the SF to be able to underclock/overclock when needed (? nofrills CPU control?) and regarding the gingerbread themes and such, possible to add on my own later if your ROM didn't include it?

Really sorry for all the trouble but I'm super confused and I've spent a few days looking through the threads and the more I read, the more I'm confused!

Guest sm4tik

About the auto-brightness thingy..

Not dead straightforward, but I can post a number of files that will fix, with/without battery circles etc.

I think I could give it a shot. By "with/without battery circles etc." you mean the theme? If so, it's not important, I just would like the auto-brightness to be a bit less sensitive and stop it from constantly jumping from one brightness setting to another and then back again. This is noticable especially in low(er) light conditions.

So, hit me with a bunch of files then.. with maybe a little readme with them :)

Guest ZILLKA

Is it possible to add cyrillic support to kernel? USSD requests in russian recived in wrong codepage, like bunch of abracadabra symbols. And network name shows Beelin instead of Beeline, last letter is cut.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest MyCatVerbs

I've just installed #3 right now. Thank you very much, LanceH. I switched from stock Orange firmware and the difference is night and day. :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Guest Airship17

#4 JJ9 with no theme or Circle Battery (i.e."stock") plus hardware acceleration md5 a4ed48658890cc78f25670e67bbdc89d

JJ9 stock, basic Apps with HW acceleration

Hi, I flashed the above ROM into the wife's phone, having use JJ RLS9 in my son's earlier in the year. Just wanted to try the HW acceleration this time (what gets accelerated, BTW?).

One strange problem with contacts in messaging, would appreciate any advice.

In Contacts I imported contacts from the SIM card. These were placed on the SIM by various Nokia un-smart phones over the years.

Now, if I approach texting from in the phone screen (green phone bottom left of home screen), going in via the contacts tab, get the contact on the screen, choose the message icon rather than phone, then the destination Name <number> entry in the top box is fine, e.g. Bill <01234567>.

However, if I enter the Messaging app via the green smiley icon, choose compose a new message, when I start typing the destination name, it throws up the suggestions, I pick from the list e.g. Bill 01234567 but it appears in the address box Bill <m: 01234567> - which then doesn't work when I try to sent the message (it doesn't like the m:, I suppose). If I edit the contact to re-cast the mobile number as home or other etc, it correspondingly inserts <h: 01234567> or <o:01234567>

So messaging is a bit broken. I flashed the original JJ RLS9 and that doesn't show the same issue - but I would (I think) like to try the HW accel, if I can fix the above.

I think I read that a special black themed messaging app is used: is this a bug in that, or am I doing something wrong?

I did think of trying laundering the contacts via an export to SD-card .vcf then re-import, but can't bulk delete the existing contacts, so would be tedious.

Cheers

Rob