Guest wazzzuuuup2

i was bought a olivepad last week, and i was wondering how i can use the OTG functionality...

i had flashed it using hucqim80 and paul's rom, but none can activate the USB OTG..

i'm using the proper otg cabel

someone can help me? sorry for my english

Guest John...

What a coincidence! I've just tested out OTG with my home-made cable with parts from maplin.co.uk.

I'm using TJStyle's kernel and it doesn't work.

It would be really great to get OTG compiled in.

Guest John...

I've just retried my cable and it works - after a fashion! If I hold it at an angle then it makes the connection. I managed to copy files to and from my flash drives :-)

Not really ideal, holding it at an angle, so I've just ordered one from amazon.

That's a big thumbs up from me.

John

Guest FatherD
now i can activate my USB OTG, just connect your black cable with the 4 and 5 pins, ike abasir's says...

Hi there,

Can you give us a link, or diagrams for doing a cable? - cheers :D

Guest John...
Hi there,

Can you give us a link, or diagrams for doing a cable? - cheers :D

For the cable that came with the N700, it's as simple as shorting pin 4 (ID) to pin 5 (ground) on the host-end of the connector, ie, the N700. Then just use a gender changer and connect up a flash drive or usb harddrive.

For someone link me who is not the world's most perfect solderer, after mucking it up, I spent a few quid at Amazon

John

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest John...

Do I need a specific kernel/rom to do this or does it work with the stock rom?

TJ Style's ROM works. Stock doesn't as far as I remember.

Regards

John...

• 4 weeks later...

I played this morning with some USB cables and my Viewpad 7 and I found as follows:

1) You need USB OTG cable or USB OTG adapter with USB A female connector at one end and with USB Mini B male connector at second end - that end you should put in Viewpad 7 USB socket. With such a combination Viewpad 7 can read USB flash memories. I will try later other USB devices.

2) it worked fine on tj_style ROM and on Viewsonic stock ROM with Android 2.2.2 with added tj_style overclocking kernel.

Edit: It works on Viewsonic stock ROM too, no modification is needed.

Edited by zost

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Andrew R.

I played this morning with some USB cables and my Viewpad 7 and I found as follows:

1) You need USB OTG cable or USB OTG adapter with USB A female connector at one end and with USB Mini B male connector at second end - that end you should put in Viewpad 7 USB socket. With such a combination Viewpad 7 can read USB flash memories. I will try later other USB devices.

2) it worked fine on tj_style ROM and on Viewsonic stock ROM with Android 2.2.2 with added tj_style overclocking kernel.

Edit: It works on Viewsonic stock ROM too, no modification is needed.

What am I doing wrong?

I have a new Viewpad 7. 2.2.2

Kernel Apps_2.6.43.9 Build 4027_3_420

I am using the cable from my daughers 7" Disgo - which works with that device.

I plug it into the Viewpad and then a memory stick into the cable and nothing happens?

What do I need to do?

Andrew R.

Edited by Andrew R.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest davedds

What am I doing wrong?

I have a new Viewpad 7. 2.2.2

Kernel Apps_2.6.43.9 Build 4027_3_420

I am using the cable from my daughers 7" Disgo - which works with that device.

I plug it into the Viewpad and then a memory stick into the cable and nothing happens?

What do I need to do?

Andrew R.

@ Andrew R.

The cable you have is not an "OTG" cable probably, it may look like one... But it is unknown if pins 5 and 4 are grounded? or your meida (memory stick) you are using is not USB OTG compatable (maybe too big, maybe formatted differently, idk)

What do I need to do? ->

1) Go to ebay and buy one of those cables for like 99cents from china or somewhere...

2) "Carefully" cut and take apart the injection molded rubber stuff at the small end of the cable, the rubber stuff is injection molded so it is surrounding the wires try not to cut the wires. Small tweezers and a sharp razor knife would help to do it...

3) After you take the end of the cable apart, you should see that 4 wires are soldered in the area. There should be a black (ground) wire soldered to a pin on either the right or left side of it (depending on how you are holding the plug in your hand) that will be pin #5. Pin #4 is the pin next to it that has "NO" wires soldered to it...

4) You need to place a small ball of solder carefully between the two pins #4 and #5 thus making a connection. Test your USB OTG cable and your DONE....

5) Tape / Hot Glue / Shrink wrap / etc... the end that you took apart and use your OTG cable. I have been able to only see SD cards that are 2gb or less and 4gb Flash sticks... I have not tried with anything else....