Queries after installing latest ROM

Guest Soulcalibur76

Guest Soulcalibur76

Hi there

It has been 4 days since i have updated my Vega to the latest R8 ROM but I'm having problems with the USB thing as i want to connect my external hard drive onto it

i went to USB Mode and then clicked USB host and nothing seemed to have happened except for the reboot. i went to iFileManager and the Vega can't seem to see my external hard drive. (note: my hard drive is formatted to the Fat32 format).

Please help.................

Guest worto03
Hi there

It has been 4 days since i have updated my Vega to the latest R8 ROM but I'm having problems with the USB thing as i want to connect my external hard drive onto it

i went to USB Mode and then clicked USB host and nothing seemed to have happened except for the reboot. i went to iFileManager and the Vega can't seem to see my external hard drive. (note: my hard drive is formatted to the Fat32 format).

Please help.................

Hi,

Have you got a usb stick you can try in it to check it's working in the correct mode and is the external drive powered via usb or a seperate psu?

Guest MaxiP

Not every device works correctly in Host mode and in particular, external hard drives. When you have checked that Host mode is working correctly, you may have to re-format your HD - to get mine to work (Buffalo passport), I had to format FAT32 with 8K clusters

It may also be that the Vega doesn't provide enough power to the external HD - you can check the requirements from the vendor website and then compare to the output from the Vega

Guest trevor432990

To check what USB mode you are currently in go to SETTINGS > ABOUT DEVICE and see what Kernel version says. On some it will say 'Host' or 'Slave' on others it will have the chars DIX (which is Slave) or POV (which is Host) :D

Guest Soulcalibur76

Right, i was able to make my videos working and my Vega now is able to see my portable hard drive. but a problem has transpired.

it seems that not all of my videos have sound or audio in them or the videos won't play at all. when i play them on my PC or my hybrid freeview HD+ box they ALL have sound or audio

with the Vega it would seem either there is a bug on the player or there is a bug on the ROM that i installed or the Vega just "chooses" what videos it like.

any advice on this one please.....

p.s. all my videos are .avi files and my battery is down to 70%. could it be the Vega requires enought battery juice inside to play the videos and their audio?

Edited by Soulcalibur76

Guest worto03
Right, i was able to make my videos working and my Vega now is able to see my portable hard drive. but a problem has transpired.

it seems that not all of my videos have sound or audio in them or the videos won't play at all. when i play them on my PC or my hybrid freeview HD+ box they ALL have sound or audio

with the Vega it would seem either there is a bug on the player or there is a bug on the ROM that i installed or the Vega just "chooses" what videos it like.

any advice on this one please.....

p.s. all my videos are .avi files and my battery is down to 70%. could it be the Vega requires enought battery juice inside to play the videos and their audio?

It won't be a battery issue, sounds more like a codec problem to me, I have the same issues but mine are .mkv files and depending on what audio codec has been used in that container I sometimes get sound and sometimes don't.

Edited by worto03

Guest Soulcalibur76
It won't be a battery issue, sounds more like a codec problem to me, I have the same issues but mine are .mkv files and depending on what audio codec has been used in that container I sometimes get sound and sometimes don't.

another problem arises...the Vega can't find my portable hard drive again. am i doing something wrong?

Guest trevor432990

If you do a search of 'video' on this forum you will find several topics which go into the types of video which can be played and those where there are known issues about audio etc. :D

Guest Soulcalibur76

When you said "sometimes get sound sometimes don't" means does it just boil down to the audio codec that "came" with the downloaded video?

And how can someone explain why some videos just wont' play at all and/or won't play properly. is this also down to the video codec?

*all my videos are downloaded as an .avi files and are all wowrking thru my PC or my freeview HD+ box.

Guest worto03
When you said "sometimes get sound sometimes don't" means does it just boil down to the audio codec that "came" with the downloaded video?

sorry - yes, it depends what the file was initially coded with, I believe it's the dolby ones that don't work which is due to dolby charging manufactures to play them. anything coded with AC3 audio and you won't get sound on the vega as well as many other devices. You should be able to convert them to a format that will play using a software converter.

Hopefully someone who knows more about it will chip in as thats about the limit of my knowledge in this area, most of the kids avi files I've got work fine and the videos taken on my sony camera work fine & thats all I use it for at the moment. I've not looked into it any further as my movies are all 4gb+ mkv files so they would take forever to convert!

there is a thread around here somewhere that discusses various software converters and the best settings to use but I can't remember the title of it.

Guest Soulcalibur76
sorry - yes, it depends what the file was initially coded with, I believe it's the dolby ones that don't work which is due to dolby charging manufactures to play them. anything coded with AC3 audio and you won't get sound on the vega as well as many other devices. You should be able to convert them to a format that will play using a software converter.

Hopefully someone who knows more about it will chip in as thats about the limit of my knowledge in this area, most of the kids avi files I've got work fine and the videos taken on my sony camera work fine & thats all I use it for at the moment. I've not looked into it any further as my movies are all 4gb+ mkv files so they would take forever to convert!

there is a thread around here somewhere that discusses various software converters and the best settings to use but I can't remember the title of it.

how would i know if my AVI filles are encoded with Dolby or the AC3? all it shows under Properties is the file type details and how big is the file.

Guest fixitbod
how would i know if my AVI filles are encoded with Dolby or the AC3? all it shows under Properties is the file type details and how big is the file.

Go to http://avicodec.duby.info/ and download AVIcodec ,a simple drag and drop interface that will give you audio and video codec information.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Soulcalibur76

I also noticed something.

Earphones and headphones don't always work "straight away" when you plug them in. I noticed its a matter of hit and miss when you reboot the Vega and the moment you plug-in an earphone for some reason.

One thing i also noticed is one particular game crashes and i don't know if it has something to do with the ROM.

*the game is Angry Birds.

lastly, i found the Android Market crashed or simply didn't start when clicked at.

what do you think guys...?

any advice or experience(s) on this one?