[ROM] [froyo] Swedish Spring RLS5 [2011-04-19] [OLED+TFT] [Gen1][Gen2]

Guest kallt_kaffe

Guest wbaw
Client-side peer-to-peer encryption for all applications using communications that pass through or store data on third party servers or use unsecure channels i.e. the Internet, WiFi, 3G, satellite or third party cabling etc.

A lot of protocols and techniques already exist for this (e.g. e-mail and instant messaging) but more are needed (e.g. social media).

Adults spying on their own children is necessary in certain cases and should be possible, but adults spying on other adults is a criminal unauthorized intrusion of privacy and something that goes against basic human rights even when the authority doing the spying is a government or a current or future dictator or such.

There is a full guide here:

Guest abdn-android
I suppose you could try: nandroid backup first, then convert to gen2 using tpt method. wipe cache, dalvik cache (but not data), then see if it works. If not, reinstall SS5, try again. Still not working then full wipe. You can always convert back to gen1 then restore nandroid.

I've converted to gen2 (but performed full wipes), seems to have cured the dialler wake issue so far. Will be monitoring it but seems promising. I've yet to test gps and wifi/bluetooth which I've read can be affected by gen2.

I also converted to gen2 (via tpt from wbaw) with full wipes and from my initial testing, it *seems like* I have no problems with WIFI or GPS.

Hermessor - My process was to follow wbaw's instructions which amounted to flashing gen2 tpt (which puts the gen2 clockwork on automatically), do a full wipe (data/cache/dalvik), then I restored my contacts and calendar with a Google account sync, and my user apps (only) with Titanium backup. After all that I recalibrated the battery. It seems to have worked well.

Guest Carbonize
adults spying on other adults is a criminal unauthorized intrusion of privacy and something that goes against basic human rights even when the authority doing the spying is a government or a current or future dictator or such.

Didn't see this pile of tosh earlier. So apparently in Skoppo's perfect world terrorists and criminals are free to plan and organise as much as they want without fear of having their plans discovered. Paedophiles are free to share the depraved images free from the worries of being caught. Yes nice world you want to live in there. Internet stalkers/harassers can go about their business of making people's lives a misery and sleep soundly at night knowing they will never be found.

Guest abdn-android
I also converted to gen2 (via tpt from wbaw) with full wipes and from my initial testing, it *seems like* I have no problems with WIFI or GPS.

Hermessor - My process was to follow wbaw's instructions which amounted to flashing gen2 tpt (which puts the gen2 clockwork on automatically), do a full wipe (data/cache/dalvik), then I restored my contacts and calendar with a Google account sync, and my user apps (only) with Titanium backup. After all that I recalibrated the battery. It seems to have worked well.

On addition here. I noticed that my gps lock seemed slow (maybe 5 minutes?), so I used adb to replace my old gps.conf in /system/etc with LanceH's gps.conf. As mentioned on this thread. Now I get GPS lock in under a minute.

Guest Anil k Solanki

Hi, I have been running SS RLS5 for a few weeks now and it is great. I would now like to upgrade my girlfriends Blade to this great ROM. She is currently running the latest version of Japanese Jelly Fish JJ9.

Would it be simple for me to update her handset without wiping? Or do I have to wipe first and start again?

I was thinking of simply installing one of my Rom manager backups, and then edit a few things like dektop pattern Angry birds score etc. and be done with it.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Anil.

PS. Without wanting to come across as a douche bag. Can I just say this forum has been really friendly, the fellow users super quick and helpful when replying. I have registered for 4 forums when I got my Blade 2 months ago, and this is by far the most active. Half the reason I love the Blade is because of this great forum. Thank you.

Guest limawhiskey
Would it be simple for me to update her handset without wiping? Or do I have to wipe first and start again?

Yes, you will have to wipe coming from JJ. Make sure you have a nandroid backup and use Titanium backup to restore apps and data from JJ to SS.

Edited by limawhiskey

Guest limawhiskey
I am seeing exact the same issue, SS5, GEN1 phone and high partial wake in spare parts ... Strange that the problem is there in GEN1, but not GEN2...

For balance, I have been running SS5* since release on a Gen1 LCD and not seen this issue at all. Is it an OLED problem?

*SS2 -> 3 -> 4b -> 5 with no wipes

Edited by limawhiskey

Guest flshg
For balance, I have been running SS5* since release on a Gen1 LCD and not seen this issue at all. Is it an OLED problem?

*SS2 -> 3 -> 4b -> 5 with no wipes

Mine (was) a gen1 lcd as well. Used JJ9, and CM7 7.0.0 stable prior to SS5. Neither JJ nor CM7 had this problem. I did a full wipe between each rom, and didnt have any other problems (besides the documented bugs in CM7). After changing to gen2 it seems ok.

Guest flshg
Hi, I have been running SS RLS5 for a few weeks now and it is great. I would now like to upgrade my girlfriends Blade to this great ROM. She is currently running the latest version of Japanese Jelly Fish JJ9.

I was thinking of simply installing one of my Rom manager backups, and then edit a few things like dektop pattern Angry birds score etc. and be done with it.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Anil.

PS. Without wanting to come across as a douche bag. Can I just say this forum has been really friendly, the fellow users super quick and helpful when replying. I have registered for 4 forums when I got my Blade 2 months ago, and this is by far the most active. Half the reason I love the Blade is because of this great forum. Thank you.

No, you're a douche bag :unsure:

Guest Hanks6

been playing around with flashing/reflashing this rom (always full wipes) and still can't seem to resolve the battery drain issues (gen 1 OLED SF). still loses at least 10% when left idle overnight. does anyone know exactly how i can check what is draining the battery/stopping the sleep from working properly? i know there's some stuff in spare parts etc, but what exactly should i be checking to see this info?

noticed a few other posts with similar issues saying that changing to gen 2 fixed what is potentially the same issue. will be willing to do this if it appears to be the solution.

cheers.

Guest flshg
been playing around with flashing/reflashing this rom (always full wipes) and still can't seem to resolve the battery drain issues (gen 1 OLED SF). still loses at least 10% when left idle overnight. does anyone know exactly how i can check what is draining the battery/stopping the sleep from working properly? i know there's some stuff in spare parts etc, but what exactly should i be checking to see this info?

noticed a few other posts with similar issues saying that changing to gen 2 fixed what is potentially the same issue. will be willing to do this if it appears to be the solution.

cheers.

I believe its down to apps/services that are causing the phone to remain awake - not going into full sleep despite the screen being off. So in spare parts, you go to battery history, then in the first drop down list select 'partial wake usage'. This shows what has caused the most wakelock. For me it was the dialler despite not making/receiving that much calls.

You can also click on an item to see the actual time that the app/service kept the phone awake.

Edited by flshg

Guest Hanks6
I believe its down to apps/services that are causing the phone to remain awake - not going into full sleep despite the screen being off. So in spare parts, you go to battery history, then in the first drop down list select 'partial wake usage'. This shows what has caused the most wakelock. For me it was the dialler despite not making/receiving that much calls.

thanks, since last turn on i have about 20 mins for android system at the top and second is dialer with 6 mins on the partial wake list. not sure if this would be significant enough to cause the battery drain...have you been able to resolve it by changing to gen 2?

Guest flshg
thanks, since last turn on i have about 20 mins for android system at the top and second is dialer with 6 mins on the partial wake list. not sure if this would be significant enough to cause the battery drain...have you been able to resolve it by changing to gen 2?

20mins for android system seems quite high to me, but that depends how long you've had the phone on/unplugged. I would say that your issue is different to mine so an upgrade to gen 2 would be unlikely to solve your issue.

Perhaps remove some widgets, turn off live wallpaper, increase the delay between fb or email syncing, switch off wifi or bluetooth when unused, change to 2g networks only. Thats all i can think of for now.

Guest Hanks6
20mins for android system seems quite high to me, but that depends how long you've had the phone on/unplugged. I would say that your issue is different to mine so an upgrade to gen 2 would be unlikely to solve your issue.

Perhaps remove some widgets, turn off live wallpaper, increase the delay between fb or email syncing, switch off wifi or bluetooth when unused, change to 2g networks only. Thats all i can think of for now.

thanks, i'm literally on a clean rom after a full wipe, not installed anything besides updating maps. 2g only, but gmail and data sync is on and that's the only thing i can really think of that could be causing it. will try it with that off for a while.

Guest Hanks6

dialer now in the lead for highest partial wake usage since my last reboot.

is that actually normal or is that the issue with this rom people have resolved by moving to gen 2?

rom is very nice and clean aside from the odd battery behaviour, definitely want to stay on it if possible.

Guest Len Ash
dialer now in the lead for highest partial wake usage since my last reboot.

is that actually normal or is that the issue with this rom people have resolved by moving to gen 2?

rom is very nice and clean aside from the odd battery behaviour, definitely want to stay on it if possible.

Firstly, changing to Gen 2 won't fix partial wake problems.

I have noted that removing GenieWidget appears to reduce partial wake usage. I tried several sync settings prior to removal. I'm not saying this is the cause absolutely, but it does seem to misbehave.

Guest abdn-android
Firstly, changing to Gen 2 won't fix partial wake problems.

I have noted that removing GenieWidget appears to reduce partial wake usage. I tried several sync settings prior to removal. I'm not saying this is the cause absolutely, but it does seem to misbehave.

In theory, I agree - there is no reason that I can give why simply changing gen1 to gen2 would fix partial awake usage with dialer. However, in practice, for me and a number of others on this forum, we did complete wipes (data/cache/dalvik) and installed SS RLS5 and had high partial awake use with dialer on gen1 (OLED for most of us I think). We then went to gen2 via wbaw's TPT, again with a complete wipe, then install SS RLS5, and the partial awake usage in dialer went away. It's a bit baffling that this was remedied by gen1->gen2 alone; AFAIK having a different partition layout with different memory addresses shouldn't matter a bit with respect to this. I'm certainly open to an alternative explanation. But apart from explaining what 'really' fixed the problem (like maybe discovering it was it was falsely reported in the first place?), I'd say that whatever is happening going gen1 to gen2 is, in fact, fixing the problem for some people... although, with you, I wonder if it might be a secondary effect of something else going on.

Edited by abdn-android

Guest Len Ash
In theory, I agree - there is no reason that I can give why simply changing gen1 to gen2 would fix partial awake usage with dialer. However, in practice, for me and a number of others on this forum, we did complete wipes (data/cache/dalvik) and installed SS RLS5 and had high partial awake use with dialer on gen1 (OLED for most of us I think). We then went to gen2 via wbaw's TPT, again with a complete wipe, and SS RLS5 and partial awake usage went away. It's a bit baffling that this was remedied by gen1->gen2 alone; AFAIK having different memory addresses shouldn't matter a bit with respect to this. I'm certainly open to an alternative explanation. But apart from explaining what 'really' fixed the problem (like maybe discovering it was it was falsely reported in the first place?), I'd say that whatever is happening going gen1 to gen2 is, in fact, fixing the problem for some people... although, with you, I wonder if it might be a secondary effect of something else going on.

The partial wake exists in Gen 2. I have remixed numerous ROMs in Gen 1 and 2 format and there are no obvious differences in behaviour. However, there appears to a an AOSP related issue, and GenieWidget MIGHT be a contributor.

Guest Simono

Currently I on GEN2 from Yesterday and I will observe partial wakup. LanceH has right. On GEN1 I have not properly sleeping Blade after 4-5 hours or 1 to 6 days, and don't now what exactly do this, and I don't use AOSP and any task killers. When the problem is solved this ROM will be greatest.

Edited by Simono

Guest abdn-android
The partial wake exists in Gen 2. I have remixed numerous ROMs in Gen 1 and 2 format and there are no obvious differences in behaviour. However, there appears to a an AOSP related issue, and GenieWidget MIGHT be a contributor.

I'm sure you are right speaking broadly of the behavior of the ROM in gen1 and gen2 - partial wakes seem to be occurring across both. However, I was just reporting that going gen1 to gen2 appears to have stopped high partial wake usage with *dialer* for me and some others on OLEDs; I have about 30s of partial awake usage in *dialer* per day (maybe that should be zero?). Overall, I'm getting about 4-5 days between charges with light usage (2g, not leaving data/wifi/gps on unless I'm actually using them for a few minutes). I do hope you are able to get to the bottom of the overall partial wake usage because it would make this ROM even better. Thanks for the work you are doing.

Guest xzyk

the partial wake issue with mine (OLED Gen1 SS RLS5 TPTed) was finally tracked down to the email client. I was originally polling my email accounts hourly and ever since disabling it and now doing it manually the issue seems to have gone away. It is somewhat inconvenient though cause now i have to manually check for email and task kill the email client every time, but at least my battery is a lot happier !

Edited by xzyk

Guest flshg
the partial wake issue with mine (OLED Gen1 SS RLS5 TPTed) was finally tracked down to the email client. I was originally polling my email accounts hourly and ever since disabling it and now doing it manually the issue seems to have gone away. It is somewhat inconvenient though cause now i have to manually check for email and task kill the email client every time, but at least my battery is a lot happier !

Was it the stock email/gmail client or not? How did you manage to deduce it was your email - did it show as high partial wake in spare parts?

Guest .loop.

Hello guys!

Thanks for the great ROM! But I was wondering if you people can join contacts with SS5? I've installed the AOSP contacts provider after i used the phone a couple of days to join my skype and facebook contacts. It does work when the names match but I can't do it manually. When i open a contact and go to "edit" - "join". There is just a box which says i can choose the contacts I want to join, but there is nothing else on the screen to tap on.

Does this work for you!

tia

loop