[ROM] [froyo] Swedish Spring RLS5 [2011-04-19] [OLED+TFT] [Gen1][Gen2]

Guest kallt_kaffe

Guest FrownBreaker

I have 3 phones 2 new phone on SS fine and an old phone was running JJ with an old clockwork.

The new phones are gen1 white LCD, the old blade is an OLED Gen1 from last year.

I updated to clockwork v3.0.2.4

I can boot recovery and select the SS.ZIp for install and its says installed fine.

I factory reset, wipe dalvik etc.

I also applied the gapps zip file.

All from a micro SD that I used to set up the 2 new phones!

And when the phone boots I do not get the start up wizard but the old blue desktop from JJ.

About Phone reports SS is installed.

How can I wipe everything on the OLED phone and install SS from scratch? Perhaps restoring the Orange Stock ROM?

Guest k0zmic
I have 3 phones 2 new phone on SS fine and an old phone was running JJ with an old clockwork.

The new phones are gen1 white LCD, the old blade is an OLED Gen1 from last year.

I updated to clockwork v3.0.2.4

I can boot recovery and select the SS.ZIp for install and its says installed fine.

I factory reset, wipe dalvik etc.

I also applied the gapps zip file.

All from a micro SD that I used to set up the 2 new phones!

And when the phone boots I do not get the start up wizard but the old blue desktop from JJ.

About Phone reports SS is installed.

How can I wipe everything on the OLED phone and install SS from scratch? Perhaps restoring the Orange Stock ROM?

Go into mounts and storage in CWM and Format System, Data, Cache and SD-EXT.

Guest ShahinTehShiz

If I flash the AHB Addon, how do I uninstall it if I need to?

And does anyone know what kinda of battery life to expect when using the AHC O/C addon?

Thanks in advance!

Guest geegeethatsme
Same problem here .... don't know when it started - went from RLS3 to 5 and no voice dialling.

Anyone suggest what I need to re-install or alternate app ?

If you still have the SS3 zip file, just unzip it, extract the voice dialer apk file, and then insert it into the SS5 zip file and reflash, or adb install the extracted apk file, or drag 'n drop from PC to sdcard and install from there.

Edited by geegeethatsme

Guest robygom
I'd definitely be curious about your findings. I've experimented with a few gps.conf options with uncertain results on SS RSL5. I currently seem to be taking a bit longer to get GPS lock than I have seen in other ROMS (on JJ9 and CM7). Are you using a-gps or not? What servers?

Did today a bit more tests:

Both phones with the same settings:

Use wi-fi - ON

Use satellite - ON

i can't see the "a-gps" on the phone with SS so i left it OFF on the one with stock rom.

Test inside the house on the table, phones one next to the other for 5 mins:

STOCK 1 sat, SS 0 sat

Test next to the window, phones one next to the other (even switched hands), after 5 mins:

STOCK changing between 7 and 9 satellites, found position with accuracy of 30 meters

SS reached MAXIMUM 4 sats but one grey bar, so 3 sats with signal. didn't find the position.

test outside, 3 mins (too hot, i was sweating):

STOCK, reached a maximum of 11-12 sats, accuracy 2 meters

SS reached 6 sats, accuracy 3-5 meters but not stable, kept changing

Any idea how to "copy" the settings from the stock phone to the SS phone? i plan to install SS on the stock phone too...

How can i enable a-gps on SS?

Guest FrownBreaker

thanks will try and report back...

Guest k0zmic
Btw, a bit of a cosmetic request...would it be at all possible to have a black background Messaging app?

Try Handcent, GO SMS or ChompSMS.

Guest abdn-android
Did today a bit more tests:

Both phones with the same settings:

Use wi-fi - ON

Use satellite - ON

i can't see the "a-gps" on the phone with SS so i left it OFF on the one with stock rom.

Test inside the house on the table, phones one next to the other for 5 mins:

STOCK 1 sat, SS 0 sat

Test next to the window, phones one next to the other (even switched hands), after 5 mins:

STOCK changing between 7 and 9 satellites, found position with accuracy of 30 meters

SS reached MAXIMUM 4 sats but one grey bar, so 3 sats with signal. didn't find the position.

test outside, 3 mins (too hot, i was sweating):

STOCK, reached a maximum of 11-12 sats, accuracy 2 meters

SS reached 6 sats, accuracy 3-5 meters but not stable, kept changing

Any idea how to "copy" the settings from the stock phone to the SS phone? i plan to install SS on the stock phone too...

How can i enable a-gps on SS?

I think what you probably want is the gps.conf file from the /system/etc. You'll need to have root access to copy/paste from this folder, but can use something like RootExplorer to do it without using adb commands. If you just copy the one from the old ROM, then copy it over the one on SS RSL5, then reboot the phone to get it to use it.

Guest FrownBreaker

Formatted System, Data, Cache no problem. SD-EXT gave an error "SD-EXT" nor found. Rebooted.

Then rebooted the phone just boots to the Green Android screen for > 6 mins.

Re flashed SS and its the same, no market or gapps despite installing the ZIP from recovery...

Noticed the reflash wipes Data, Cache and SD-EXT.

Tried again several times..

In the end I did a wipe system again, data etc, then factory reset, then flashed GAPPS first then SS rebooted and all seems fine.

Thanks for all the help and advice, weird done lots of SF from stock to SS, this was JJ to SS which I've done before but it took so many attempts!

Thanks again :unsure:

Edited by FrownBreaker

Guest BL4D3
Angry Birds is set to go to the SD Card automatically by the developers.

Nope 2MB on the phone memory sounds about right the other data is plunked on the SD Card in the Android Secure Folder.

Just go into Manage Applications > On SD Card and move the apps that are on the SD Card onto the EXT partition by clicking move to phone (Android thinks your EXT Partition is Phone Memory).

It would be recreated I think.

Thanks for the reply k0zmic.

I think I just don't fully understand how A2SD works and that there is no problem beyond my ignorance. I don't have any partitioning on my SD card so everything will be gong to the .Android_Secure folder I think.

Off to google to educate myself on this. Seems that there is the Froyo A2SD, another version of A2SD by a Dark Tremor (which the first post indicates is built in) and an A2SD+. Lots of reading to do... :unsure:

Guest hadderz

I have to say I do like this ROM. Its quick, smooth and has very minimal amounts of bugs.

HOWEVER...

One really annoying aspect, one which i know has been mentioned by a number of users, is its terrible GPS :unsure:

This to me is a near deal breaker, I've been using SS for a month or so now but having a ROM that cant get a simple GPS lock is pretty poor. An example is I use Endomondo a lot:

I turn on endo and GPS inside my house, go outside for 5 mins (get bike ready)

Get on bike, its still locating satellites

I start endomondo and start cycling with it still searching ( so its not a complete route now :) )

I get to work 20 minutes later, take phone out my pocket....and guess what...ITS STILL LOOKING FOR GPS!

Absoloute waste of time and battery :P

If we could get a fix together, that was maybe packaged together for a clockwork recovery intall that would be amazing!

Sorry rant over! haha!

Guest geegeethatsme
Off to google to educate myself on this. Seems that there is the Froyo A2SD, another version of A2SD by a Dark Tremor (which the first post indicates is built in) and an A2SD+. Lots of reading to do... :unsure:

Dark Tremor is indeed within the SS5 rom and works very effectively. There's even a handy GUI app (A2SDGUI) available on the market to assist. But the pre-conditions need to be in place - an ext partition on the SD card, mounted (through CWM), and then DT can do its thing. In extremis you can open a terminal app and run some of the Dark Tremor commands from the phone to check setup and install if it hasn't happened automatically on boot. The relative advantages between the various A2SD options out there are not easy to distinguish. They all utilise sd capacity and release system memory, but using an ext partition on the card (and ideally an ext3 partition to provide a journalling (data integrity) capability) does separate system data from user data (photos, music files etc.) which is a useful IT discipline on any system - phone, PC, server, whatever. From a purist perspective, system memory is usually faster than lots of read/writes from an sd card, but on a phone we're in the realms of nanoseconds of benefit, so I prefer the housekeeping benefits of system-data separation.

Guest FrownBreaker
Dark Tremor is indeed within the SS5 rom and works very effectively. There's even a handy GUI app (A2SDGUI) available on the market to assist. But the pre-conditions need to be in place - an ext partition on the SD card, mounted (through CWM), and then DT can do its thing. In extremis you can open a terminal app and run some of the Dark Tremor commands from the phone to check setup and install if it hasn't happened automatically on boot. The relative advantages between the various A2SD options out there are not easy to distinguish. They all utilise sd capacity and release system memory, but using an ext partition on the card (and ideally an ext3 partition to provide a journalling (data integrity) capability) does separate system data from user data (photos, music files etc.) which is a useful IT discipline on any system - phone, PC, server, whatever. From a purist perspective, system memory is usually faster than lots of read/writes from an sd card, but on a phone we're in the realms of nanoseconds of benefit, so I prefer the housekeeping benefits of system-data separation.

Thanks for this really helpful.

Read this http://www.jayceooi.com/2011/01/12/how-to-...rkmod-recovery/

And wondered if this is the sort of thing to be doing? No mension of mounting the ext partition in CWR? I think the post is old / for another phone as it talks of the call button I think that's home on the ZTE Blade / SF

This was a related post on dark tremor http://www.jayceooi.com/2011/03/24/downloa...arktremor-a2sd/

This post mensions zipalign is this needed? Sorry for all the questions this is all new to me!

Love the idead of an ext3 partition just for installed apps leaving the FAT partition for data all separate from the phone!!

I got a Lexar 16gb micro SD from play for £13.99 and this will be a good learning experience for me!!

Edited by FrownBreaker

Guest geegeethatsme
Read this http://www.jayceooi.com/2011/01/12/how-to-...rkmod-recovery/

And wondered if this is the sort of thing to be doing? No mension of mounting the ext partition in CWR? I think the post is old / for another phone as it talks of the call button I think that's home on the ZTE Blade / SF

This was a related post on dark tremor http://www.jayceooi.com/2011/03/24/downloa...arktremor-a2sd/

This post mensions zipalign is this needed? Sorry for all the questions this is all new to me!

There are a number of ways of creating the partition. CWM has the facility and will be fine, although I personally did it through my Linux netbook. My experience has been that the ext3 partition still needs to be mounted through CWM - you could do it immediately after creating the partition in CWM. The mount option is a toggle so if it offers the option to 'mount sd-ext' then it needs to be done. If it offers 'unmount sd-ext' then its already mounted and nothing more is needed - just reboot. DT then recognises the partition and runs its scripts on reboot to move apps across.

Zipalign can most easily be switched on and off via the GUI app. It's another tool to manage the way in which apps run for more efficient access. It's there to be used, so I do. If you choose the option in the GUI app, your phone will reboot automatically (from recollection) so don't worry if that happens.

Edited by geegeethatsme

Guest FrownBreaker
There are a number of ways of creating the partition. CWM has the facility and will be fine, although I personally did it through my Linux netbook. My experience has been that the ext3 partition still needs to be mounted through CWM - you could do it immediately after creating the partition in CWM. The mount option is a toggle so if it offers the option to 'mount sd-ext' then it needs to be done. If it offers 'unmount sd-ext' then its already mounted and nothing more is needed - just reboot. DT then recognises the partition and runs its scripts on reboot to move apps across.

Zipalign can most easily be switched on and off via the GUI app. It's another tool to manage the way in which apps run for more efficient access. It's there to be used, so I do. If you choose the option in the GUI app, your phone will reboot automatically (from recollection) so don't worry if that happens.

Wow thanks for such a complete response! Appreciated.

Guest Simono

I can say that after conversion to GEN2 i've have partial wakelock and this is what irritating me. This ROM will be the greatest. Now I maybe back to JJ RLS9 :unsure:

Guest mkzee
Download Wireless Tether, it does the same thing.

Thanks k0zmic. I tried that that wireless tether app before posting this issue here but it was having same issue :unsure:

Guest Farquea
I can say that after conversion to GEN2 i've have partial wakelock and this is what irritating me. This ROM will be the greatest. Now I maybe back to JJ RLS9 :unsure:

not the news i wanted to hear just as i was preparing to do this :)

Guest dhbar
I have to say I do like this ROM. Its quick, smooth and has very minimal amounts of bugs.

HOWEVER...

One really annoying aspect, one which i know has been mentioned by a number of users, is its terrible GPS :unsure:

This to me is a near deal breaker, I've been using SS for a month or so now but having a ROM that cant get a simple GPS lock is pretty poor. An example is I use Endomondo a lot:

I turn on endo and GPS inside my house, go outside for 5 mins (get bike ready)

Get on bike, its still locating satellites

I start endomondo and start cycling with it still searching ( so its not a complete route now :) )

I get to work 20 minutes later, take phone out my pocket....and guess what...ITS STILL LOOKING FOR GPS!

Absoloute waste of time and battery :P

If we could get a fix together, that was maybe packaged together for a clockwork recovery intall that would be amazing!

Sorry rant over! haha!

Hi - had similar problem using GPS

Seems this ROM doesn't use A-GPS - which should help get the first fix quickly

Some others have had the same problem

It can be added simply by changing the file 'gps.conf' which is stored in \system\etc

LanceH provided an updated gps.conf file - see post #1364 in this topic

Simply download it and unzip the contents.

You should have a new gps.conf file ready to be used

It gets rid of all the unwanted / not required lines, changes the time server and adds the necessary lines to add A-GPS

Problem is you need to be able to install it !

It needs to overwrite an existing file - in a part of the system that normally cannot be written to.

I used ES File explorer - which can get access to root and write to it as well

Having started ES File explorer - use the Menu button and then settings - at the bottom of the list you should see Root Options. Make sure the Root Explorer and Mount File system are ticked

Transfer the gps.conf file to your SD card - ES File explorer can do this - if the PC is connected to a network and the network has a wireless connection. Otherwise you will have to use a USB cable

Start ES File explorer - turn on Root Options - copy the file from the SD card, navigate to system\etc and paste it there. You may be asked if its OK to overwrite the old copy - alternatively you could rename the old version. You could then revert to it at a later date if you wanted.

Once that's done turn off the Root Options - re-boot and you should get a GPS fix much faster.

Guest Josef Prusa
@KK

@ALL

Ok im using a modified Swedish Spring RLS5 i have updated my phone to GEN2 using wbaw’s Gen2 v4 that all went smooth. The problem im having is wbaw’s Gen2 v5 changes the cache partition to 2MB so now im having market downloading problems i can only download very small apps RLS5 says it redirects cache to ramdisk if lower then 2MB im sure this is done via the userinit script this does not seem to be working now if i use a modified init.qcom.post_boot http://pastebin.com/hZDevXCR then it works fine but i would like to use the userinit script any suggestions? thanks.

Having the same problem. Any solution? Anyone?

Thnx Josef

Guest shmizan

quick GPS DIU guide:

install Root Explorer.

create a file called "gps.conf", open in notepad.

write this code:

NTP_SERVER=0.asia.pool.ntp.org

NTP_SERVER=1.asia.pool.ntp.org

NTP_SERVER=2.asia.pool.ntp.org

NTP_SERVER=3.asia.pool.ntp.org

XTRA_SERVER_1=http://xtra1.gpsonextra.net/xtra.bin

XTRA_SERVER_2=http://xtra2.gpsonextra.net/xtra.bin

XTRA_SERVER_3=http://xtra3.gpsonextra.net/xtra.bin

SUPL_HOST=supl.google.com

SUPL_PORT=7276

CURRENT_CARRIER=common

DEFAULT_AGPS_ENABLE=TRUE

DEFAULT_SSL_ENABLE=FALSE

replace the continent name in the 4 first addresses by your own continent (if you live in europe, replace asia with europe. full list can be found here: http://www.pool.ntp.org/zone/@ )

save the file and copy it to your SDCard.

open Root Explorer and copy the file, replace it in \system\etc

and in \etc

good luck!

Edited by shmizan

Guest Aurimas L.
Yesterday I made a full wipe and reflashed once again with RLS5. Now GPS is working just fine :).

Hmz, GPS doesn't work again... Maybe I installed a specific app or something? :unsure:

Guest KidX
Hi - had similar problem using GPS

Seems this ROM doesn't use A-GPS - which should help get the first fix quickly

Some others have had the same problem

It can be added simply by changing the file 'gps.conf' which is stored in \system\etc

LanceH provided an updated gps.conf file - see post #1364 in this topic

Simply download it and unzip the contents.

You should have a new gps.conf file ready to be used

It gets rid of all the unwanted / not required lines, changes the time server and adds the necessary lines to add A-GPS

Problem is you need to be able to install it !

It needs to overwrite an existing file - in a part of the system that normally cannot be written to.

I used ES File explorer - which can get access to root and write to it as well

Having started ES File explorer - use the Menu button and then settings - at the bottom of the list you should see Root Options. Make sure the Root Explorer and Mount File system are ticked

Transfer the gps.conf file to your SD card - ES File explorer can do this - if the PC is connected to a network and the network has a wireless connection. Otherwise you will have to use a USB cable

Start ES File explorer - turn on Root Options - copy the file from the SD card, navigate to system\etc and paste it there. You may be asked if its OK to overwrite the old copy - alternatively you could rename the old version. You could then revert to it at a later date if you wanted.

Once that's done turn off the Root Options - re-boot and you should get a GPS fix much faster.

Followed these instructions and GPS works properly for the first time in ages! Thanks so much to you and LanceH. If anyone else is having the same problem, here is a direct link to the file LanceH uploaded.