[ROM] [froyo] Swedish Spring RLS5 [2011-04-19] [OLED+TFT] [Gen1][Gen2]

Guest kallt_kaffe

Guest flshg
There are a number of ways of creating the partition. CWM has the facility and will be fine, although I personally did it through my Linux netbook. My experience has been that the ext3 partition still needs to be mounted through CWM - you could do it immediately after creating the partition in CWM. The mount option is a toggle so if it offers the option to 'mount sd-ext' then it needs to be done. If it offers 'unmount sd-ext' then its already mounted and nothing more is needed - just reboot. DT then recognises the partition and runs its scripts on reboot to move apps across.

Zipalign can most easily be switched on and off via the GUI app. It's another tool to manage the way in which apps run for more efficient access. It's there to be used, so I do. If you choose the option in the GUI app, your phone will reboot automatically (from recollection) so don't worry if that happens.

I guess that sets zipalign to run at every boot, which is probably not necessary and slows down the boot (slightly). Most apps will already be zipaligned. I use the command "a2sd align" in a terminal to do a one-off zipalign, for whenever you feel inclined.

Guest geegeethatsme
Followed these instructions and GPS works properly for the first time in ages! Thanks so much to you and LanceH. If anyone else is having the same problem, here is a direct link to the file LanceH uploaded.

Thanks for the direct link. The gps.conf file appears in both the /system/etc folder and the /etc folder. Should this revised version replace both, as shmizan suggests a few posts earlier? And shouldn't there be a line of code to enable a-gps (also as in shmizan's post). I'm puzzled as to why the two versions of gps.conf (LanceH's and shmizan's) are so different - although if both/either do the biz, I'm happy to be puzzled and satisfied! :unsure:

Guest Len Ash
Thanks for the direct link. The gps.conf file appears in both the /system/etc folder and the /etc folder. Should this revised version replace both, as shmizan suggests a few posts earlier? And shouldn't there be a line of code to enable a-gps (also as in shmizan's post). I'm puzzled as to why the two versions of gps.conf (LanceH's and shmizan's) are so different - although if both/either do the biz, I'm happy to be puzzled and satisfied! :unsure:

Mine should live in system/etc/

It works... but the other may do too. Try both?

Guest geegeethatsme
Found the /system/etc folder but can't find the /etc folder, where the ecky thump is it?

In the root directory of the phone, on mine anyway - between /dev and /mnt in the alphabetical listing.

Guest Len Ash
Hmm using the ES File Explorer mentioned on here there's nothing there on mine

Just replace the config file in /system/etc

Guest geegeethatsme
Mine should live in system/etc/

It works... but the other may do too. Try both?

Copied yours into /system/etc and I'll try a comparison test with shmizan's variation on the theme tomorrow. Thanks.

EDIT: Ah, copying into /system/etc automatically replicates the file in /etc. Should have twigged that earlier. Mystery solved.

Edited by geegeethatsme

Guest jonmac73
If you still have the SS3 zip file, just unzip it, extract the voice dialer apk file, and then insert it into the SS5 zip file and reflash, or adb install the extracted apk file, or drag 'n drop from PC to sdcard and install from there.

Forgive me if I'm missing something - what is the actual apk called ?

I can see nothing in there named 'voice dialer.apk'.

Just to clarify, 'Voice Search' displays error Connection Problem when launched.

I previously had an app called 'Voice dialer' with a speaker icon - still have shortcut to it but is not available - 'error while launching activity' when tapped.

I just want to setup voice dialling tags on contacts ........ that should be part of 2.2 as standard from reading up.

Thanks in advance

Guest mrflibbles

I had hoped that this gps.conf thing would have solved my GPS problems but it didn't. It finds lots of satellites usually 7-9 in moments but never seems able to calculate a position :unsure:

Guest geegeethatsme
Forgive me if I'm missing something - what is the actual apk called ?

I can see nothing in there named 'voice dialer.apk'.

Just to clarify, 'Voice Search' displays error Connection Problem when launched.

I previously had an app called 'Voice dialer' with a speaker icon - still have shortcut to it but is not available - 'error while launching activity' when tapped.

I just want to setup voice dialling tags on contacts ........ that should be part of 2.2 as standard from reading up.

Thanks in advance

At work just now, I'll post the app I'm referring to later this evening (shows in my phone as VoiceDialer.apk). Sounds the same one from the icon description. Voice Search is the app to use when internet browsing, so the connection problem message may just have been because you weren't on wifi or 2G/3G at the time?

Guest jonmac73
At work just now, I'll post the app I'm referring to later this evening (shows in my phone as VoiceDialer.apk). Sounds the same one from the icon description. Voice Search is the app to use when internet browsing, so the connection problem message may just have been because you weren't on wifi or 2G/3G at the time?

Thanks - much appreciated.

Guest cedge

Was worried about this GPS bug as installed RLS5 last night but just went on a 10+km run and Endomono tracked it fine...

Thanks to KK, seems good so far. Having come from FLB I'm only missing the dialer and power widged in the pull down at the moment but it does feel springy and fast then FLB.

Guest geegeethatsme
Copied yours into /system/etc and I'll try a comparison test with shmizan's variation on the theme tomorrow. Thanks.

The results of the N Bristol jury are in. This was a completely unscientific test, informed by observation only. I found that when I added the additional three lines at the foot of shmizan's listing to LanceH's version of gps.conf, I got GPS lock indoors (2m from a window) on an overcast day within 30 seconds, which seems a reasonable 'proof' that a-gps is active. Without those lines, lock was also acquired but not for several minutes, and was then lost several times, suggesting that a-gps wasn't aiding the lock process. That was also the case with shmizan's version in its vanilla form. So that's how it was for me with my setup - Gen 1 OLED SF B05. Could be coincidence, but I've run the same test, same conditions, three times over the course of the day with the same result. Passed on for info as other users see fit. Doesn't take any time to add the lines in an editor and swap out the versions. I view it as a good demonstration of the cumulative value we get from our devs and contributors.

Guest Josef Prusa
Install this patch i made it will work but not via the userinit. Flash in clockwork.

Edit 1

Patch works on RLS4 and up.

Thanks for your info but still no luck getting it to work. Is there anything more i have to do? Flashed in recovery, still apps (e.g. Blow Up Lite) won't install because of "not enough space".

Am I doing something wrong here?

Thanks

Edited by Josef Prusa

Guest loiner

Installed Swedish Spring RLS5 last night. Currently at work so internet, GPS, wi-fi all turned off and all apps killed with ATK. Everytime I look, Maps is running again. I kill it with ATK, check a little later and it's running again.

How do I stop it?

Guest grudas
Installed Swedish Spring RLS5 last night. Currently at work so internet, GPS, wi-fi all turned off and all apps killed with ATK. Everytime I look, Maps is running again. I kill it with ATK, check a little later and it's running again.

How do I stop it?

android has a very good memory management.. so remove the task killer and carry on :P trust me.. its useless.. there was an article on lifehacker explaining all of in detail

Guest Pondlife

How do I stop it?

Don't think you do, it's running on CM7 here and starts instantly if stopped.

@kallt_kaffee

Are you working at RLS6?

If K.K is working on RLS6 it probably will not be much different to what we have already as there is not really anything wrong with RLS5,

from my point of view anyway,not sure how K.K's great Dev mind sees RLS5.

As the saying goes,"If it not broke don't fix it"

besides,I think there is a rule here on modaco.

DONT ASK DEVS FOR E.T.A'S

Edited by Guest

Guest Carbonize
The results of the N Bristol jury are in. This was a completely unscientific test, informed by observation only. I found that when I added the additional three lines at the foot of shmizan's listing to LanceH's version of gps.conf, I got GPS lock indoors (2m from a window) on an overcast day within 30 seconds, which seems a reasonable 'proof' that a-gps is active.

See now I'm just North of Bristol and I find I get lock within 30 seconds without having to touch the gps.conf file. In fact had no GPS issues at all with the vanilla SS.

Guest geegeethatsme
See now I'm just North of Bristol and I find I get lock within 30 seconds without having to touch the gps.conf file. In fact had no GPS issues at all with the vanilla SS.

If indoors, that's impressive. I've had no problems with GPS outdoors, but once inside or out of clear sight of sky the absence of a-GPS was an irritant for me. No more than that, and a bit of editing seems to have made a difference. Only my experience.

Guest Carbonize

Indoors is a bit hit and miss to be honest but then I only use GPS for sat nav and when I'm out running. But then I came from an LG where sometimes it wouldn't have a lock even after 10 minutes which is something LG are notorious for.

Edited by Carbonize