[ROM] [froyo] Swedish Spring RLS5 [2011-04-19] [OLED+TFT] [Gen1][Gen2]

Guest kallt_kaffe

Guest Searcher2

I upgraded to Swedish Spring RLS5 2 days ago. It did seem to fix the only issue with the stock Orange ROM which was that wifi did not kick in automatically when I returned home having been on 2G/3G. However, it seems to have crucified the battery usage. On stock Orange I was getting a couple of days easily out of the SF. Now I don't even get a day. I thought it was the battery calibration so I recalibrated last night and it has not improved!

Fortunately I took a backup of my Orange ROM setup so I am considering restoring that as I really don't know what could be causing the power drain. I only have the phone running Yahoo Mail during the day and that's it! So I am only having a look at a few emails. Is there any way to find out what is causing the drain as I would like to keep SS - and I don't see other complaints about such a drastic change in battery drain moving to SS so I am guessing it is something running that shouldn't be. I am not aware that I am running anything different than in stock Orange ROM. I don't make any calls.

Guest taneglo
android has a very good memory management.. so remove the task killer and carry on :P trust me.. its useless.. there was an article on lifehacker explaining all of in detail

I have the same problem with some apps constantly restarting. Namely Maps Gmail and Facebook. I've tried everything to disable them, but they just keep on restarting randomly and some almost instantly. I don't recall having this problem with my vanilla 2.1

Now this is just my opinion or should I say a hunch. But it feels like the battery is going way faster when these apps remain "open". I think it's probably the apps trying to connect to internet to refresh the data or something like that. Please correct me if I'm wrong or if you have better understanding how these apps operate.

I don't have any problem with these apps taking memory but I seriously think they are draining the battery fast. Sometimes I can barely get from morning to night without charging, and this is WITHOUT ANY internet use and only few 1-5min calls! Some days when the night comes I still have 80% battery, so I'm quite certain there is something strange going on...

Guest k0zmic
I have the same problem with some apps constantly restarting. Namely Maps Gmail and Facebook. I've tried everything to disable them, but they just keep on restarting randomly and some almost instantly. I don't recall having this problem with my vanilla 2.1

Now this is just my opinion or should I say a hunch. But it feels like the battery is going way faster when these apps remain "open". I think it's probably the apps trying to connect to internet to refresh the data or something like that. Please correct me if I'm wrong or if you have better understanding how these apps operate.

I don't have any problem with these apps taking memory but I seriously think they are draining the battery fast. Sometimes I can barely get from morning to night without charging, and this is WITHOUT ANY internet use and only few 1-5min calls! Some days when the night comes I still have 80% battery, so I'm quite certain there is something strange going on...

Does sound odd, download spare parts and check 'partial wake usage' and see if something is keeping your phone awake a lot thus draining your battery and have a look at the other options there as well. Is there anything that stands out?

Guest Rooster#1

I'm currently on SS RLS4b .... and noticed that GPS is very sluggish :P

Would the LanceH fix work on my ROM ? and if so, can someone walk me though installation please ? Ive trawled the thread, but cant make head nor tale of how !!!!

Thanks

Plus, I'm getting a script error on EVERY page, which locks up firefox for 10 seconds per page - anyone know a fix for this ? (Only happens in android.modaco !)

I have found a workaround... but we shouldnt need one :-( (http://www.modaco.com/content/website/339689/script-errors/#entry1703675)

Edited by Rooster#1

Guest loiner
Now this is just my opinion or should I say a hunch. But it feels like the battery is going way faster when these apps remain "open". I think it's probably the apps trying to connect to internet to refresh the data or something like that.

I'm thinking the same ... I think in my case Maps probably keeps waking up and wants to know its location. I don't see any sense in that at all.

People have different opinions about Advanced Task Killer, but when I killed Maps on the stock ROM, it stayed 'killed' until I wanted to use it again. Like you, I don't want an app starting itself and hitting my battery when I don't need the app running.

What I don't understand in circumstances like this is that lots of us are using the same ROM, but it only affects a few of us (or have the others just not noticed?).

I'm thinking the same ... I think in my case Maps probably keeps waking up and wants to know its location. I don't see any sense in that at all.

People have different opinions about Advanced Task Killer, but when I killed Maps on the stock ROM, it stayed 'killed' until I wanted to use it again. Like you, I don't want an app starting itself and hitting my battery when I don't need the app running.

What I don't understand in circumstances like this is that lots of us are using the same ROM, but it only affects a few of us (or have the others just not noticed?).

The best thing to do with maps is freeze with Titanium Backup and unfreeze when you need to use it.

Or if someone does not use maps they should just delete it altogether.There seems to be no way to keep maps closed other than freezing it,as it is a self restarting app.

Edited by Guest

Guest Nick Rhodes
Does sound odd, download spare parts and check 'partial wake usage' and see if something is keeping your phone awake a lot thus draining your battery and have a look at the other options there as well. Is there anything that stands out?

And also you can check battery usage from about phone to see how much % the battery energy each app has consumed.

Previous version of Maps was a battery consumer being the highest app (non system stuff) by far, but latest version and it uses only a percent more than gmail (all hover around 2 or 3 %).

Cheers, Nick

Guest womble_sanfran
@kallt_kaffee

Are you working at RLS6?

If you searched this thread back a bit you would find your answer.

Guest loiner
There seems to be no way to keep maps closed other than freezing it,as it is a self restarting app.

I might be thick, but I can't see why this app should be self restarting, and it certainly wasn't on the stock ROM. I don't want to delete it, as it will be very useful sometimes, but I don't understand the need for it to keep restarting itself when I'm sitting at my desk for 9 hours a day. I know the route to the coffee machine !!

Guest hadderz
Hi - had similar problem using GPS

Seems this ROM doesn't use A-GPS - which should help get the first fix quickly

Some others have had the same problem

It can be added simply by changing the file 'gps.conf' which is stored in \system\etc

LanceH provided an updated gps.conf file - see post #1364 in this topic

Simply download it and unzip the contents.

You should have a new gps.conf file ready to be used

It gets rid of all the unwanted / not required lines, changes the time server and adds the necessary lines to add A-GPS

Problem is you need to be able to install it !

It needs to overwrite an existing file - in a part of the system that normally cannot be written to.

I used ES File explorer - which can get access to root and write to it as well

Having started ES File explorer - use the Menu button and then settings - at the bottom of the list you should see Root Options. Make sure the Root Explorer and Mount File system are ticked

Transfer the gps.conf file to your SD card - ES File explorer can do this - if the PC is connected to a network and the network has a wireless connection. Otherwise you will have to use a USB cable

Start ES File explorer - turn on Root Options - copy the file from the SD card, navigate to system\etc and paste it there. You may be asked if its OK to overwrite the old copy - alternatively you could rename the old version. You could then revert to it at a later date if you wanted.

Once that's done turn off the Root Options - re-boot and you should get a GPS fix much faster.

Thanks for the cracking walk through, ive used Shmizans GPS.confg file with a tweak of changing the 'europe' part into 'uk' instead.

Ive also installed GPS Status & Tool Box from the market: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.e...e=search_result

This allows me to be able to see how many fixes im getting, plus it has a an 'a-gps' option that you can use which might help.

I dont think ive got it working perfectly but this morning I turned gps/endomondo on for 5 mins when i got my bike ready, there was no lock when i started cycling but when i got to work it had picked me up about 2 minutes into my journey. So although not great it was the best lock on gps ive had with the phone so far.

Thanks for the great work and help everyone! :P

I might be thick, but I can't see why this app should be self restarting, and it certainly wasn't on the stock ROM. I don't want to delete it, as it will be very useful sometimes, but I don't understand the need for it to keep restarting itself when I'm sitting at my desk for 9 hours a day. I know the route to the coffee machine !!

yes its a real pain,and your right gmaps never used to be like this,but something in the updated maps wants to know your location all the time.Hopefully the next update will bring the option to disable this feature

Guest alltheway3

I can't get my bluetooth headphones to connect with this ROM, it's worked fine with other ROMS (I even restored an old ROM to make sure it wasn't the hardware at fault and it worked fine). Any solutions? Thanks.

Guest Bob@Desire

Is there a huge difference between Swedish Spring RLS5 and Japanese Jellyfish RLS9?

Should I upgrad from form JJ9 to Swedish 5?

Thanks

Guest andy9876

I have just returned to SS from CM7 following problems with battery life and no USB tethering.

In going to CM7 I also updated my GEN1 OLED OSF to GEN2. It may be a coincidence but the problems I had previously with authenticated password protected WIFI tethering are gon on SS. Everything works - hurrah! The only thing I miss about CM7 is the power widget in the notifications pull down.

Guest chiftec

Please tell me why I cant flash my ZTE Blade,

First I installed universal androot 1.6.1

then recovery manager 0.36

no problem rooting the phone

but when I press the "Install recovery" in recovery manager and chose the Swedish_Spring_RLS5

the message showed after is

Currently installed recovery : unrecognised

I tried to uppdate database and also wipe data but still the phone shows android 2.1

I´m all new in this area so please have a little understanding.

/Thanks

Guest jonmac73
I have just returned to SS from CM7 following problems with battery life and no USB tethering.

In going to CM7 I also updated my GEN1 OLED OSF to GEN2. It may be a coincidence but the problems I had previously with authenticated password protected WIFI tethering are gon on SS. Everything works - hurrah! The only thing I miss about CM7 is the power widget in the notifications pull down.

I've d/l 'quick settings' from market - seems to do the job well - have now removed widgets that use to do this it's that good.

Guest jonmac73
@jonmac73

Sent you a PM.

Thanks for the mail - voicedialer.apk - won't install on mine.

grants SU rights - lokks like it's installing, then says install failed. Any ideas ?

Just to recap am after voice dialler facility (just for use handsfree) as seems to be missing from RLS5. Thanks

but when I press the "Install recovery" in recovery manager and chose the Swedish_Spring_RLS5

I tried to uppdate database and also wipe data but still the phone shows android 2.1

/Thanks

Hi chiftec,

The "Install recovery" option is for installing a new Clockwork version. What you need is "Install firmware" for a new ROM.

Also, it sounds like you have an old Clockwork version on your phone (unrecognised). You need to update that first.

Good luck! :P

Hi folk's,

I've just changed to this ROM from FLB R9 and all seems good so far.

I want to try the alternative Kernels which KK has supplied. Is it just a case of flashing the zip files with Clockwork or is there more to it than that?

BTW, which Kernel is best for Angry Birds?

Thanks for any help.

Cheers :P

Guest DrDo

Have had SS 5 running for a couple of weeks now and found it to be quite vanilla, however the following seems annoying:

when the phone powers down because battery levels are low, it damages my sdcard, so that it needs reformatting...

Anybody else has this experience, anything that can be done about that?

thx in advance for any useful tips

Guest johannes140
Have had SS 5 running for a couple of weeks now and found it to be quite vanilla, however the following seems annoying:

when the phone powers down because battery levels are low, it damages my sdcard, so that it needs reformatting...

It does not really damage the card, it is a bug i experienced in any rom; just reboot (sometimes a couple of times) and your sdcard files will be back. do not reformat the card!

Guest Rooster#1

/Thanks

Get the ROM... install with "clockwork" easy peasy

Guest Konstaa

Similar in linux filesystem. As filesystem is not unmounted while poweroff causes corruption.

Correction of the filesystem is done in next boot.

Edited by Konstaa