Advent Vega vs iPad

Guest newbe5

Guest hullmackem

I also have both (just got a second hand iPad). Both are very different and I'm hoping honeycomb comes to the vega soon, so serious comparison can be made.

As for apps, the apple store is far superior to android Market but we knew that anyway. In time the gap will close though.

As a current user experience the iPad currently wins, but I'll wait and see what transpires with the vega.

Guest lydius
Well, I can only comment on my experiences - if that is the case quote - why not mention you have to press 10 times harder on the vega screen to open apps etc than the ipads - there are a 100s more reasons why the ipad is more quality - but i still love my vega..

Actually I have to press 10 times harder when my wife uses a pad, but i manage to get through.

Guest redroadster
Yup. I lolled.

Hard.

guess who's back - well only for a second.... i am not sure we should be taking tec advise from a guy who still uses candle light...

Guest newbe5

AND I CONTINUE REGARDLESS!

Despite the animosity this thread appears to have created, I still welcome all comments (definately no need to delete your posts, everyone is entitled to an opinion).

Strong feelings and a compassion for your favorite device is perfectly understandable, but let's try and keep it above the level of 12-year-old schoolyard arguments please guys :D

newbe5

Edited by newbe5

Guest Gorskar

Guys - please can this be kept friendly.

Most people seem to be trying to stick to the topic, but there's a few people here who are posting personal attacks, and these have to stop.

Its fine to post your opinions (good or bad) about a device, but not about a person.

If you think someone is crossing the line then please click the "Report" button - rather than getting goaded into attacking them back.

For now I'll avoid any official warnings, thread closures or post deletions, but there's a limit...

Guest mckal13

Man, you have a cool thing going there! Another thing worth comparing is fluidity and speed of downloadoling the same app off the market.

Guest Logseman

I know you're probably fed up of testing browsers by now :D but maybe it has merit to test one which is common to both platforms such as Skyfire.

BTW, I hadn't seen Miren working, and I think I'm falling in love. I have Dolphin HD and a paid license, but this is superior as of today (I'm waiting for Dolphin for tabs which I've been promised to beta-test). Thanks a lot!

Edited by Logseman

Guest bazanime

Try comparing media playback, like music and video emphasis on different types of video formats (avi, mkv, mp4, WMV, DNA, XX, XY, O.P.P "yeah u know me!") and quality (high resolution 720p and 1080p). Overall ease of access to the media apps and quality.

Edited by bazanime

Guest newbe5

Quick update on the WiFi issue, it appears that I am not the only one with problems maintaining a reliable WiFi connection on the iPad, and even Apple have admitted there are some issues.

I'll have a look over these posts and see if I can come up with a fix. Part of the problem is that the iPad gives you NO info on errors most of the time, so it's really hard to troubleshoot.

I'll keep you posted :D

Zeb

Guest zzleezz

Watched vid #6, I felt the same way about the market when I played with the iPad. From the requisite credit card details and telling them your life story to the odd way it seems to do things.

Be interested to hear your opinion on relative cost of similar/same apps. I had a look for a PDF reader on the iPad and was a bit shocked at the cost of them.

Much better production now Zeb, maybe a little bluetack on the bottom of the Vega :D

Was going to suggest links to all vids in first post, then I checked and you had already done it, nice :D

Guest trevor432990
AND I CONTINUE REGARDLESS!

Despite the animosity this thread appears to have created, I still welcome all comments (definately no need to delete your posts, everyone is entitled to an opinion).

Strong feelings and a compassion for your favorite device is perfectly understandable, but let's try and keep it above the level of 12-year-old schoolyard arguments please guys :D

newbe5

Hi Zeb ... liked the new videos BTW. Slightly off topic question but as you demo'd Multitask Manager so well I installed it myself and was wondering if you'd figured a way of reducing the height of the MTM Background yet? Can't see a setting for that and it's a bit too wide for my liking. :D

EDIT:- Cheers for the advice Zeb

Edited by trevor432990

Guest newbe5
Man, you have a cool thing going there! Another thing worth comparing is fluidity and speed of downloadoling the same app off the market.

Sure thing! I want to do an overall fluidity/UI comparison, so I'll make sure I put that in a vid soon.

I know you're probably fed up of testing browsers by now :D but maybe it has merit to test one which is common to both platforms such as Skyfire.

BTW, I hadn't seen Miren working, and I think I'm falling in love. I have Dolphin HD and a paid license, but this is superior as of today (I'm waiting for Dolphin for tabs which I've been promised to beta-test). Thanks a lot!

I think I am done testing browsers now TBH. I don't even like Skyfire on Android, so I don't really want to compare it on both B) I really LOVE Miren, and the 2 browsers on the iPad that I have tested don't seem bad. I don't want to get too bogged down with REALLY in-depth testing, I did the second browser test more as a matter of fairness as someone mentioned on the original vid that I wasn't using the stock Android browser, but I WAS using the stock iOS browser, so I figured it was only fair to give it a shot.

Try comparing media playback, like music and video emphasis on different types of video formats (avi, mkv, mp4, WMV, DNA, XX, XY, O.P.P "yeah u know me!") and quality (high resolution 720p and 1080p). Overall ease of access to the media apps and quality.

Yup, I want to do a big media test on both if I get time, but I need to spend more time with the iPad and learn all of the formats/apps etc to do a fair test before I do this, so it might be a while!

Watched vid #6, I felt the same way about the market when I played with the iPad. From the requisite credit card details and telling them your life story to the odd way it seems to do things.

Be interested to hear your opinion on relative cost of similar/same apps. I had a look for a PDF reader on the iPad and was a bit shocked at the cost of them.

Much better production now Zeb, maybe a little bluetack on the bottom of the Vega ;)

Was going to suggest links to all vids in first post, then I checked and you had already done it, nice :D

I plan to compare similar apps soon, as well as hopefully cross-platform games (Angry Birds, Dungeon Defenders). Also, I definitely need to get some Bluetac :P But at least I have LIGHT now! :P

Hi Zeb ... liked the new videos BTW. Slightly off topic question but as you demo'd Multitask Manager so well I installed it myself and was wondering if you'd figured a way of reducing the height of the MTM Background yet? Can't see a setting for that and it's a bit too wide for my liking. :D

Yup! I have found that the nicest way to set up MTM is like this:

In the MTM settings, go to Theme (about halfway down) and set the Layout to "Extended", then select "Choose Background". From there you can select an OSX/Launcherpro style glass shelf, or (as I use it) set it to transparent (so you just get the icons and a nice reflection under them). You can also add favourite apps to the MTM list, so you can launch fresh apps directly from it, you can also kill apps by long-pressing them too :( I also have it show the amount of available memory too, so I can decide if I want to manually kill some apps or not (not usually needed on 2.2 though).

Thanks for the comments all!

newbe5 / Zebwen

Edited by newbe5

Guest bazanime

No no no no! That's old news now, please no one else reply to those arguments no matter how compelled you are. Lets continue on track with topic.

Guest awarner

Right all posts that are troll feeding and comparing devices to cars have been removed.

Lets keep the site friendly, agree to disagree by all means but do it politely.

Guest newbe5
Right all posts that are troll feeding and comparing devices to cars have been removed.

Lets keep the site friendly, agree to disagree by all means but do it politely.

Thankyou! :D

I'm surprised that deleting the troll posts didn't take this tread back down to 1 page! :D

Edited by newbe5

Guest bazanime

What is your Vega base setup?

- custom rom

- launcher

- keyboard

- browser

- flash version

- any other tweaks to solve bugs

I ask because I am due delivery of my Vega soon so I want to be ready about setup from start to finish. I have been studying every thread here and XDA about everything Vega, quirks and all, but I'm most interested in what you have dine to get yours purring smoothly like that.

Miren browser looks nice on my android phone, so that's a certain first install.

Thanks again for your input, its very helpful for us noobs.

Guest zzleezz
What is your Vega base setup?

- custom rom

- launcher

- keyboard

- browser

- flash version

- any other tweaks to solve bugs

I ask because I am due delivery of my Vega soon so I want to be ready about setup from start to finish. I have been studying every thread here and XDA about everything Vega, quirks and all, but I'm most interested in what you have dine to get yours purring smoothly like that.

Miren browser looks nice on my android phone, so that's a certain first install.

Thanks again for your input, its very helpful for us noobs.

I have a similar setup to Zeb. Very happy with it. This is roughly how I got there.

Installed latest official Tom (yours being new should already have it)

Install modaco r8 custom rom. Built from the kitchen.

Installed latest buzz kernel. Made a big difference to the performance and stability for me.

The rest is software.

Launcher I use ADW EX paid version. I'm sure launcher pro is also good.

Browser I use Moreno thanks to Zeb and this thread.

Great to see the thread cleaned up. Feel like my conscience has been cleaned for me :D

Guest goldenbolux

Hi all

Just a quick miren question

Is there a quick way of bringing up bookmarks

I use button saviour and can get it that way but seems a bit long winded

Also is there a way to change search location

With other browsers when i do a search it brings up. Co.uk

With miren i get. Com

Guest zzleezz
Hi all

Just a quick miren question

Is there a quick way of bringing up bookmarks

I use button saviour and can get it that way but seems a bit long winded

Also is there a way to change search location

With other browsers when i do a search it brings up. Co.uk

With miren i get. Com

Fastest way I have found is to click the + in the top right to get a new tab and then hit bookmarks from the new page screen.

Guest Drat2
Fastest way I have found is to click the + in the top right to get a new tab and then hit bookmarks from the new page screen.

Or if you only have one tab open hit the "X" to "close" the tab and it goes straight to the new page screen.

Guest roncluff

Would also be nice to see the same videos on how it compares to the new Slates with Windows 7. So see the Android, Ipad and Win 7 together. I am sure the first two will be faster (would not be the case if MSFT used Win Phone 7 OS on the Slates), but what would be the out of box features compared to Vega and iPad. USB device support will be great on Vega and Slates.