gingerbread possibility again ?

Guest mrmrmrmr

Guest mrmrmrmr

now that Dell has released a Gingerbread source for Streak, can anyone compile it for use ?

http://opensource.dell.com/releases/streak...g-release-only/

I just ask this because Gingerbread has lots of new features , like video calling and native sip support.

Can anyone, PLEASE compile it ?

p.s: I know that Steve won't do it because he doesn't like Gingerbread...

Guest Stephen Hyde

dont discount me yet

thats just a kernel tho still have the issues from audio since noone is bothering to reply to my requests for help on twitter, and its me whos partly responsible for getting the kernel released in the first place so i dont particually appreciate the tone your using mrmrmrmr

Guest somebody9
dont discount me yet

thats just a kernel tho still have the issues from audio since noone is bothering to reply to my requests for help on twitter, and its me whos partly responsible for getting the kernel released in the first place so i dont particually appreciate the tone your using mrmrmrmr

Why can't people get this in to their heads: Developers like @Steve and @fards are devoting their own personal time to make releases and bug fixes possible. Whether they are interested in developing a port for something is entirely their business. They are not your employees and they don't owe you anything. If you want a port for something, ask nicely. If that doesn't work, do it yourself. And secondly, nobody hates Gingerbread or Cyanogenmod or MIUI. Dell is not supporting the open source mod community and as such, nothing can be done until they do. If there was more help from Dell in this regard, I'm sure Steve would have worked on Gingerbread in his own interests as a Dev.

Guest Stephen Hyde
Why can't people get this in to their heads: Developers like @Steve and @fards are devoting their own personal time to make releases and bug fixes possible. Whether they are interested in developing a port for something is entirely their business. They are not your employees and they don't owe you anything. If you want a port for something, ask nicely. If that doesn't work, do it yourself. And secondly, nobody hates Gingerbread or Cyanogenmod or MIUI. Dell is not supporting the open source mod community and as such, nothing can be done until they do. If there was more help from Dell in this regard, I'm sure Steve would have worked on Gingerbread in his own interests as a Dev.

well said

now on the positive side i have managed to get partial ALSA sound support for the streaks chipset but i need a hand configuring alsa to work - never really messed with alsa so i need help to do it

Guest Crinos512
well said

now on the positive side i have managed to get partial ALSA sound support for the streaks chipset but i need a hand configuring alsa to work - never really messed with alsa so i need help to do it

:D

My only experience with ALSA has been with Ubuntu... I wonder if the configuration would be similar.

I know... not very helpful, but I figured you never know when a stray comment will start a creative flood.

And once more: Thank you DJ_Steve for all of your awesome ROMs so far... I am looking forward to trying out 1.9 and the Honeycomb based one as well.

As an aside, have you considered bringing your rom versions into line with the android versions so that it would be easier to know what android version they were derived from? ... so 1.9 would become 2.2.2_9 or some thing similar. just a thought.

Guest mrmrmrmr

@ Steve and others:

I've never said anything bad about Steve or Fards or any other developer.

In this thread, I've just expressed a reality which came from Steve, several weeks ago. He said Gingerbread is slow and useless.

I just disagree with that. Gingerbread has new features and if someone can compile it for Streak, I'm sure there will be lot of people who would like to use it to achieve those new features.

@ Steve:

What is it that annoys you in my tone ? I just said : "Steve won't do it because he doesn't like Gingerbread" , this was a fact. If it changed I don't know.

Personally, because of this fact, I wasn't hoping you working on it. Well, if you do, that's good news for the Streak community.

I know what you always do for the community and appreciate it.

Guest mrmrmrmr

Look, I didn't order or ask in a bad manner from any developer anything. I know that they do it devoting their own time and that they don't owe us anything.

From my which comment you came to that idea ?

Check my initial post; I am just asking if anyone can compile it. That's asking nicely.

Guest Stephen Hyde

the kernel isnt gonna make gingerbread any easier to build, only advantage is that kernel has a rewritten touchscreen driver than does work on 2.3+

Guest somebody9
Look, I didn't order or ask in a bad manner from any developer anything. I know that they do it devoting their own time and that they don't owe us anything.

From my which comment you came to that idea ?

Check my initial post; I am just asking if anyone can compile it. That's asking nicely.

In that case, my apologies.

Having said that, nobody thinks Gingerbread is slow and not worthwhile. What Steve probably meant was that Gingerbread isn't that much faster than Froyo in terms of performance - which is true: by Google's own admission Gingerbread was created to make Android's interface more user friendly and with a few more features. We all would like an upgrade, but without Dell's (or whoever owns them) proprietary drivers - that becomes very hard, and investing that much time over a venture that is pretty much impossible is useless. Besides, it doesn't provide much of a performance boost.

Also: Asking someone to compile it is a non-issue. Anyone can compile it for the Streak. The issue is making it work well enough for you to use it on your device on a day to day basis. For proof, see Steve's ports of CM 6 and MIUI. You can put them on your Streak - but they suck without Dell's drivers.

Edited by somebody9

Guest mrmrmrmr

@somebody9:

I understand that all. I am not expecting for a performance boost from Gingerbread. In fact, I might be happy with a little performance decrease if I will have the features of Gingerbread.

So these features in exchange of a little performance might be nice. Of course, without drivers it would be awfull.

But , I don't understand this: if we have the source of Dell drivers for older builds (Froyo) , why can't we compile them for Gingerbread ?

Guest fards
@somebody9:

I understand that all. I am not expecting for a performance boost from Gingerbread. In fact, I might be happy with a little performance decrease if I will have the features of Gingerbread.

So these features in exchange of a little performance might be nice. Of course, without drivers it would be awfull.

But , I don't understand this: if we have the source of Dell drivers for older builds (Froyo) , why can't we compile them for Gingerbread ?

because gingerbread uses different subsystems for audio and graphics.. (both of which are what interest me), in theory the kernel could be used for HC as well..

Steve we've missed each other on irc for a few days, I'll catch up at some point, and we'll see if we can work out the sound.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mrmrmrmr

well, this is a confession: until now, I didn't donate for any Dell Streak release. Although, I appreciate the hard work and use the resulting release, I didn't have a chance to donate and thank. Maybe that's because I don't like to pay for software, maybe I'm too selfish. I don't know...

But today, I played with Gingerbread on my wife's Samsung phone. It's really very nice. Having internal sip client and 3g video calls... That's beautiful...

That's really more important than having Honeycomb on a small tablet like Dell Streak.

So I promissed myself to donate for the first working,stable gingerbread release that will come. I hope that happens before I go and purchase a Samsung Tab...

is there any hope ?

Guest cowballz
well, this is a confession: until now, I didn't donate for any Dell Streak release. Although, I appreciate the hard work and use the resulting release, I didn't have a chance to donate and thank. Maybe that's because I don't like to pay for software, maybe I'm too selfish. I don't know...

But today, I played with Gingerbread on my wife's Samsung phone. It's really very nice. Having internal sip client and 3g video calls... That's beautiful...

That's really more important than having Honeycomb on a small tablet like Dell Streak.

So I promissed myself to donate for the first working,stable gingerbread release that will come. I hope that happens before I go and purchase a Samsung Tab...

is there any hope ?

jeez

Guest mtyrrell

Wow... Just wow.. :D

Some people really are just a bit naive about the man hours needed to do stuff like Steve aren't they? B)

Guest synaptic.flaws

is there any hope ?

I hope you enjoy your tab, if you get one of the new ones please post a review here.

Guest Diomed

I've donated four times, the first before I'd even purchased my Streak. It's amazing to see the value people place on things. Even now, I realize I've gotten more enjoyment out of my Streak than I've paid, while others haven't gotten enough for free.

Strange world we live in.

Guest mrmrmrmr
I've donated four times, the first before I'd even purchased my Streak. It's amazing to see the value people place on things. Even now, I realize I've gotten more enjoyment out of my Streak than I've paid, while others haven't gotten enough for free.

Strange world we live in.

why the hell you donate for something that you don't have a use for ? (would you donate for me just cause I am writing freeware apps for Livescribe pen ?)

btw, I don't count giving 5 bucks as a donation...

Edited by mrmrmrmr

Guest Stephen Hyde

*makes a note to bar certain members from installing streakdroid, since they seem to have no idea how much hassle and time has gone into its creation :D

Guest homeiss
why the hell you donate for something that you don't have a use for ? (would you donate for me just cause I am writing freeware apps for Livescribe pen ?)

btw, I don't count giving 5 bucks as a donation...

Who cares if you "don't count giving 5 bucks as a donation." That's still more than you've gave...

Guest synaptic.flaws
*makes a note to bar certain members from installing streakdroid, since they seem to have no idea how much hassle and time has gone into its creation :D

You never know google might make that a feature in the next experience device?