working Game-Controllers for Vega

Guest TerryH

Guest TerryH

It would be interesting to collect the working controllers (wired/unwired) and with what controller-software and Games it works ... especially it would be cool if someone got GamepadIME (wired!) with a controller to work and can share how it works.

At the moment I am using a Zeemote which works not bad with N64oid and Bluez Ime (Vega 1.09 rooted but no USB-Host) but can't get it really to work with other Games. Tried Monster Madness, but it doesn't work well for left/right movements.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge!

Guest Minimonkey

*Wii remote with rwiimote/simplewiicontroller software from the Market (needs root) free - works well with n64iod

*Wireless/wired keyboard and mouse - wireless keyboard and mouse work a treat in host mode (not tried with games yet)

Edited by Minimonkey

Guest schprlock

There are a couple, but the only one I remember right now, apart from the zeemote and wiimote, is the BGP100 (http://pocketnow.com/review/bgp100-bluetooth-gamepad). You're probably gonna need a lever and a lot of butter to fit the Vega in it :D.

I have the Zeemote and a Bluetooth keyboard. They both work fine, although I would prefer if the Zeemote's joystick was digital (for emulators), although it works great as analogue in games that support it without an intermediate driver.

Not many games support the Zeemote, and just a few (emulators included, thankfully) support keystrokes. For these last ones, I use Bluez IME (less configuration options, free, great mappings) or GamePro (Paid, crap diagonals, re-definable keys).

Unfortunately there are not many other options. The problem is not the controller or even the driver, the problem is the fact that developers usually don't take those extra 2 minutes to implement keyboard support, because of apple's stupid trend of not using buttons (and people don't even question it, they just spend money on games that are next to unplayable with accelerometers and touch screens, and they stop buying consoles). Even Honeycomb dropped the hardware buttons that were so useful!...

Anyway, the problem is developers. Look at Cordy, for example. Excellent game! And you can play it with keys too, if you have a Droid/milestone, or any phone with keyboard, or a USB/Bluetooth keyboard/joystick/gamepad. It took the developer another 5 minutes to make that work. I would buy it, if it wasn't free. Now, look at Samurai II: Revenge... Great graphics, average gameplay. I woudn't play it if it was free, because you have to cover the screen with your fingers, you have no idea where your fingers are unless you're looking at them instead of the game... And guess what? Adding keyboard/gamepad support to it would have taken 5 minutes, tops.

Sorry for that, I really can't help letting this out every now and then.

Cutting it short... It's not about the hardware, your Zeemote+Bluez IME is great (I know it, I have one). It's about developers supporting Input Methods as they always did. Touch input is great when used for what it's meant. Not when you use it just because you can.