Can someone explain to me what is happening?

Guest schprlock

Guest schprlock

I really can't think of a good reason. Lots (well, some) of devices have hardware keyboards, there are hardware controllers for games, but games only use accelerometers and on-screen controls.

I am a developer, even if I don't develop for Android, and I know how easy it is to add keyboard support to a game.

Games like Labyrinth are supposed to be played with accelerometers and they are great, as is Majesty with the touch screen, but most games were designed to be played with a gamepad, and as much as Apple (and Google, nowadays, apparently) try to tell us otherwise, playing games with accelerometers and touchscreens is NOT COOL and NOT even FUN.

Anyway, I am now thinking that there must be some reason for not supporting hardware controls that I don't understand, and I would really appreciate if anybody could explain it to me.

I was just posting about how amazing the game Cordy is, great graphics, great playability, great level design and great controls, as it supported keyboard input. I updated it in the Market, dying to play the five new levels, and they just removed keyboard support! Why? Why would they do that? Is there some legal directive that forbids them to implement keyboard support? Or is it important to keep the file size 7 bytes smaller? What? Why?

Really, as annoying as I may sound, this is important to me as a game designer and fan. If anybody knows the reason, please explain it to me. I'm off to uninstall Cordy, the ex-great game.

Guest trevor432990

Maybe when enough people are using the hacks for the Vega (and other android devices) to enable wiimotes, xbox controllers, etc then the tablet manufacturers will realise that people still want this capability and there is a market out there for games to be re-designed to enable these to interface as well. :D

Guest schprlock
Maybe when enough people are using the hacks for the Vega (and other android devices) to enable wiimotes, xbox controllers, etc then the tablet manufacturers will realise that people still want this capability and there is a market out there for games to be re-designed to enable these to interface as well. :D

Yes, I am hoping so. I understand that people don't want to use Zeemote's SDK, but programming keyboard input is free and ridiculously easy.

But what I don't really, really, really understand is why Cordy, which had keyboard support already, does not allow for keyboard input after the latest update.

Why would they remove a functionality that is great for those who use it and the others don't even notice it's there?

Guest trevor432990
Yes, I am hoping so. I understand that people don't want to use Zeemote's SDK, but programming keyboard input is free and ridiculously easy.

But what I don't really, really, really understand is why Cordy, which had keyboard support already, does not allow for keyboard input after the latest update.

Why would they remove a functionality that is great for those who use it and the others don't even notice it's there?

Can you not revert to the previous version of Cordy or maybe they've included it but have some kind of check on the device type which hides the facility for mobile/Android devices somehow? :D

Guest schprlock
Can you not revert to the previous version of Cordy or maybe they've included it but have some kind of check on the device type which hides the facility for mobile/Android devices somehow? :D

I don't think I kept the old version... I might have it in a backup, but I would loose the 5 new levels (I finished the others).

Anyway, I left a comment on Cordy's forum, they said keyboard support is supposed to be there. It might be a bug and they're working on it. Their reply was really fast, everything seems to be perfect about those guys... The game, the controls, the customer support... And it's free.

I'm really hoping I get keyboard support back soon (or even Zeemote support), and that other developers learn from Cordy.

Guest schprlock

Cordy is fixed!

I talked to the developers, sent them some info and they replied:

"I see the problem.

We disabled keyboard inputs when hardware keyboard is hidden. i.e. Droid slide keyboard is closed.

I think that causes this bug with external usb keyboard. We already fixed this, and will be available in the next release."

So, Cordy is back to being the top Android game in my list. Now, about the other devs...