Question on how to improve wi-fi

Guest Soulcalibur76

Guest Soulcalibur76

Hi there.

As we are all aware the Vega only has B & G wi-fi standards. i want to ask a question. is there a way to "help improve" the wi-fi of the device?

for example: i'm in a hotel in Europe and there is a weak wi-fi signal in my room but there is quite a strong signal in the corridors.

can i use a USB dongle to try and "catch" the strong signal? can mi-fi help with that?

please help...thanks.

Guest trevor432990
Hi there.

As we are all aware the Vega only has B & G wi-fi standards. i want to ask a question. is there a way to "help improve" the wi-fi of the device?

for example: i'm in a hotel in Europe and there is a weak wi-fi signal in my room but there is quite a strong signal in the corridors.

can i use a USB dongle to try and "catch" the strong signal? can mi-fi help with that?

please help...thanks.

My Vega wi-fi performs on a par to my Netbook computer and so if there is a weak signal you are kind of stuck to be honest. In the situation you are in it might be cheaper (if you have a local country SIM card) to use a mi-fi which won't use wi-fi from hotel (so saving money there presumably) and you 'should' get a stronger network connection depending on the 3G signal there. Whether it will be as fast is another question.

Guest Soulcalibur76
My Vega wi-fi performs on a par to my Netbook computer and so if there is a weak signal you are kind of stuck to be honest. In the situation you are in it might be cheaper (if you have a local country SIM card) to use a mi-fi which won't use wi-fi from hotel (so saving money there presumably) and you 'should' get a stronger network connection depending on the 3G signal there. Whether it will be as fast is another question.

I have a 3 PAYG SIM card. can i use that with the mi-fi device?

n.b. i'm going to meet a friend this weekend and i heard the wi-fi signal in the room is not that great.

Guest blcollier
I have a 3 PAYG SIM card. can i use that with the mi-fi device?

n.b. i'm going to meet a friend this weekend and i heard the wi-fi signal in the room is not that great.

The MiFi is a device offered by Three, so I'm pretty sure your PAYG SIM should work :D. Though the MiFi is a little expensive on PAYG, it costs £72...

A lot of phones these days have the wireless hotspot ability, which is worth checking on your phone. :(

My Desire's built in hotspot app works flawlessly, so this is worth investigating.

Guest Soulcalibur76
The MiFi is a device offered by Three, so I'm pretty sure your PAYG SIM should work :D. Though the MiFi is a little expensive on PAYG, it costs £72...

My Desire's built in hotspot app works flawlessly, so this is worth investigating.

I saw the mi-fi is quite expensive. but would these so-called wi-fi adaptors be the right one?

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/wireless-car...x-criteria.html

will these actually help my Vega get the most strongest wi-fi signal nearby?

will these devices actually work?

The MiFi won't catch or boost the hotel's own WiFi signal. The MiFi connects to 3's 3G network (at your cost) and then serves up it's own WiFi network for your devices to connect to.

My MiFi works really well, subject to it getting a decent 3G signal! I got mine a year ago for £50 PAYG, but put my 15GB for £15 per month 3 contract sim in it.

Guest blcollier
I saw the mi-fi is quite expensive. but would these so-called wi-fi adaptors be the right one?

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/wireless-car...x-criteria.html

will these actually help my Vega get the most strongest wi-fi signal nearby?

will these devices actually work?

These are just WiFi adaptors - the only advantage you'd have with one of these is that it would support 802.11n, you might still face the same issues with signal strength. The antennas in these devices would likely be smaller than the ones already in the Vega.

This of course assumes that you could get a USB WiFi adaptor working with the Vega - I have no idea how you'd achieve this, I don't know enough about android development, drivers, kernels, etc. I know it supports USB host mode, but getting a USB hard drive working and getting a USB network card working are two very different prospects.

Guest blcollier
i found this.

http://www.edimax.co.uk/en/produce_detail....4&pd_id=332

am i correct in saying that it would 1. help "boost" my Vega's wi-fi ability. and 2. it would help "catch" the nearest and strongest signal available.

( or i could be wrong).

What I said earlier:

These are just WiFi adaptors - the only advantage you'd have with one of these is that it would support 802.11n, you might still face the same issues with signal strength. The antennas in these devices would likely be smaller than the ones already in the Vega.

This of course assumes that you could get a USB WiFi adaptor working with the Vega - I have no idea how you'd achieve this, I don't know enough about android development, drivers, kernels, etc. I know it supports USB host mode, but getting a USB hard drive working and getting a USB network card working are two very different prospects.

And, what this guy said:

I doubt the vega has the drivers built in to make this work...

The signal you will get on WiFi - as with any other wireless data radio, incl. 3G, HSDPA, etc - will depend on a couple factors:

• The strength of the signal
  • The positioning of the antenna
  • The material between the antenna and the signal source (such as walls, etc)

If you have a weak signal, you might get a better reception with an upgraded antenna - this is not an option with the Vega because, as far as I know, you cannot connect an external antenna. You could swap to a different network card (the ones you've been linking to) in the hope that it has a better antenna than what is built in (which is doubtful), but I highly doubt you would get an external network card working in Android on the Vega. Generally these devices are designed/built/coded with a specific hardware platform in mind, unlike a PC you can't just pop in a new network card and expect it to work. It has to be supported by the kernel, there have to be drivers available for the platform, the operating system has to recognise it as a networking device, etc... Admittedly my knowledge is only from Linux, but it's not too dis-similar for Android (from what I understand).

It sounds like what you need as a WiFi repeater: it picks up an existing signal and "repeats" (broadcasts) it over a wider distance. Sadly you're not going to get that set up for hotel WiFi. Only the network administrators could set something like that up. That leaves the more realistic option of using a phone or other portable device to create a portable WiFi network - like the MiFi. You're not tied into the hotel's WiFi and there would be no need to worry about WiFi signal strength. Though you will need a good HSDPA/3G signal and if your phone doesn't support this (or have an app for it), you may need new hardware.

Guest trevor432990

I shall just re-iterate if you decide to go down the 3G/mifi/mobile route for connecting your Vega make darn sure your network contract won't charge you an arm and a leg to use data or tethering through your SIM (especially overseas as you are) or you'll end up paying more than you did for the Vega when you get your next bill. :D

Guest 2old2mould

I would recommend at least checking which wifi channel your Vega is sitting on. You may find that moving to a different channel will help 'boost' the signal. You might find there are others in your location also using the WiFi which would mean that your effectively all competing for time on the same channel, as well as the other effects of interference.

If you d/l Wifi Analyzer from the Market you will see a graphical representation of the spectrum and you should be able to switch channels.

Worth a try, I've had my signal on 1 bar before in my flat with the wifi router only 8 feet away, switching channels sorted it back to full bars.

202m.

Guest gingercat
I would recommend at least checking which wifi channel your Vega is sitting on. You may find that moving to a different channel will help 'boost' the signal. You might find there are others in your location also using the WiFi which would mean that your effectively all competing for time on the same channel, as well as the other effects of interference.

If you d/l Wifi Analyzer from the Market you will see a graphical representation of the spectrum and you should be able to switch channels.

Worth a try, I've had my signal on 1 bar before in my flat with the wifi router only 8 feet away, switching channels sorted it back to full bars.

202m.

Good tip - I'll give that analyser a bash. Of course, this doesn't help if you don't have control over the channel in use (e.g. in a hotel).

Guest Diveokidoki

Hi,

I have tried this but the Vega doesnt seem to change the channel even disableling the pressent channel. pls advise

cheers

Good tip - I'll give that analyser a bash. Of course, this doesn't help if you don't have control over the channel in use (e.g. in a hotel).

Guest Soulcalibur76
Go to the hotel lobby/bar and have a drink - wifi will be better there and ascan added bonus it gets you out of your room ;-)

My 3 PAYG SIM allows for this "eat-all-you-can" data plan. but the mi-fi device is still quite expensive though. and like you said this entirely depends on the network signal. checking the poscode on the 3 website (on where i'm going this weekend) showed a not-so promisng "outdoor coverage" for both mobile and mobile broadband. (though still better with my T-mobile and Orange) *sigh*

right, my other question would be..in theory would these wi-fi adaptors work with the Vega? Yes or No?

if No... then is there a way to tether it with a mobile phone? Yes or No?

Edited by Soulcalibur76

Guest 2old2mould

It's not the channel of the router you are looking to change. The router will broadcast across all the channels. You just want to be able to analyse the spectrum to see which channels are busy with other users then select and move to a channel that is less busy. It should be possible to do that with the Vega.

202m

Guest gingercat
It's not the channel of the router you are looking to change. The router will broadcast across all the channels. You just want to be able to analyse the spectrum to see which channels are busy with other users then select and move to a channel that is less busy. It should be possible to do that with the Vega.

202m

??? The router will not broadcast across all channels, it will either be set to auto, or a specific channel, in either case, it will be transmitting/receiving on a single channel. If the hotel has this set to channel 7, you can't in any way shape or form make your Vega magically receive on channel 3.

Guest Soulcalibur76
??? The router will not broadcast across all channels, it will either be set to auto, or a specific channel, in either case, it will be transmitting/receiving on a single channel. If the hotel has this set to channel 7, you can't in any way shape or form make your Vega magically receive on channel 3.

If i go the mifi route be it 3 or those unlocked ones like Novatel's can i still surf the internet that way using my modified Vega?

* i have my 3 and T mobile SIM which has this unlimited internet set to ny tariff.

Guest premieral
If i go the mifi route be it 3 or those unlocked ones like Novatel's can i still surf the internet that way using my modified Vega?

* i have my 3 and T mobile SIM which has this unlimited internet set to ny tariff.

i use my 3 mifi all the time with my modified vega as i dont have wifi at work and find it works great and connects well :D

Guest Soulcalibur76
i use my 3 mifi all the time with my modified vega as i dont have wifi at work and find it works great and connects well :D

So as long as there is a good signal fron 3 there will be no problems with connecting to the internet?

Would those mifis need a password or does it connect automatically?

And how about those slightly expensive ones like Novatel's? (So atleast i can either use my 3 or T-mobile one depending which signal is strong.) In theory would they also work?

Thanks.