DSG repair cost unbelievable!!!!!!

Guest jonnyspuruk

Guest jonnyspuruk

Just a warning to anyone who like me who did not take out an extended warranty with dsg when they bought a Vega. Today I had a misshap with my Vega whilst carrying it in the poorly designed official case whereby the Vega slipped out onto theground with a thud! I now have a Vega with a bashed up top corner with volume control that no longer works!

On visiting PC world I was told that without an extended warranty they could do nothing as they would have just switched out the Vega for a new one. When I stated that surely a 1 year manufacturers warranty should mean a repair was possible I was quoted £230 to fix it. Thats the cost of a new one and is just ridiculous. What shocked me more i was told by the very helpful lady(not) in PC world that that is the gamble I was taking buying the tablet without an extended warranty. Very helpful! !!!

Now I do appreciate that this accidental damage and partly my fault but surely the Vega case should have been designed to slip in vertically with both sides covered and thus fully protected when the case is closed?

£230 to repair some plastic casing and a plastic volume control is just scandalous! !!!!

Guest simonta

Sorry to hear of your mishap...

It's typical of repair prices for low cost tech goods although a friendly local repairer might be able to sort the volume control for a lot less, tens rather than hundreds - but make sure they are insured or guarantee their work as it's all too easy to bork the box when opening it.

I can see two options for you, civil recovery through small claims from a position of "not fit for purpose" for the case (I haven't got one so can't comment on whether it's fit for purpose or not - that would depend on the marketing and/or instructions that came with it) or through your contents insurance which may cover accidental damage.

BTW, AFAIK unless you explicitly ask for it and pay more, the extended warranty does not cover accidental damage anyway.

Edited by simonta

Guest jonnyspuruk
Sorry to hear of your mishap...

It's typical of repair prices for low cost tech goods although a friendly local repairer might be able to sort the volume control for a lot less, tens rather than hundreds - but make sure they are insured or guarantee their work as it's all too easy to bork the box when opening it.

I can see two options for you, civil recovery through small claims from a position of "not fit for purpose" for the case (I haven't got one so can't comment on whether it's fit for purpose or not - that would depend on the marketing and/or instructions that came with it) or through your contents insurance which may cover accidental damage.

BTW, AFAIK unless you explicitly ask for it and pay more, the extended warranty does not cover accidental damage anyway.

I have been to a few local PC Repairers and noone will touch it prob as can't source any parts :-(

Guest dundee18
I have been to a few local PC Repairers and noone will touch it prob as can't source any parts :-(

What about your household insurance Do you have cover with that?

Guest steviesteve

Have you tried other pcw or currys stores... i dont see how they can quote if a qualified engineer hasnt seen it. Also, what about the vega helpline? What would Advent suggest if you were unable to get to a store?

It was definitely your fault, not the slip case... Remember that when talking to the staff, pushing the blame encourages others to pass the buck!

Guest jonnyspuruk
Have you tried other pcw or currys stores... i dont see how they can quote if a qualified engineer hasnt seen it. Also, what about the vega helpline? What would Advent suggest if you were unable to get to a store?

It was definitely your fault, not the slip case... Remember that when talking to the staff, pushing the blame encourages others to pass the buck!

First thing I did was call advent and they said unless I had extended warranty they could not help. They actually advised me to go to local PC world. PC world/ curry's class the Vega as a laptop even though it isn't and they have a fixed rate of £230 to repair whatever the fault!! If I could source the parts, a plastic housing and volume control I woukd fix myself. Probably take 30 mins max

Guest steviesteve
First thing I did was call advent and they said unless I had extended warranty they could not help. They actually advised me to go to local PC world. PC world/ curry's class the Vega as a laptop even though it isn't and they have a fixed rate of £230 to repair whatever the fault!! If I could source the parts, a plastic housing and volume control I woukd fix myself. Probably take 30 mins max

That sucks... i shall be super careful with mine. Check your car/home insurances for possible gadget cover if all else fails. I feel your pain.

Guest jorgar72

Probably you should spend some money in a simple consultation to a civil attorney.

Your country sure has certain laws with regard to which and how it must give PC World and Advent as a guarantee.

Good luck!

Guest cjtkd

The 'whatever happens' cover is sh#t anyway!!! Im sure they would have wormed out of paying out claiming lack of due care and attention. Ive heard of so many people dropping their laptops only to be refused payouts, google search it.

I would take the vega official case into your store and play hell, go armed with the sales of goods act printed off and call trading standards (get a ref number). Dont let them 'push you around' stand your ground!!

Guest Mahoog

No use to you but I have some rolled up duct tape holding my Vega into its crappy case.

Could you set it on fire and when it's nothing but a puddle of plastic, claim it was an electrical fault with the battery? I kid. :D

Guest blcollier

Yeah, unfortunately this isn't a warranty matter, this is classed as accidental damage and becomes an insurance matter. Check to see if your insurance will cover it; if not, I'm afraid you may be out of luck. Unless you can push the crappy case angle...

Guest cjtkd
wow thats allmost apple style for doing you over for repair. Unlucky :(

I honestly think theres a serious case for finding the official folio product to be unfit for purpose. I mean, cummon, they didn't even bother to match up the fitting right on the docking station to match the Vega in its official case. Says it all really. :D

Guest High Flyer

So, Let me get this straight.

You Broke it, and now you are claiming that the case is "Not Fit For Purpose" AFTER you broke it, and not when you bought the case?

"I would take the vega official case into your store and play hell, go armed with the sales of goods act printed off and call trading standards (get a ref number). Dont let them 'push you around' stand your ground!!"

It is fit for purpose, where does it say that the Vega will not fall out of the case? By going in with the sales of goods act and not actually knowing what you are talking about you will only embarrass yourself. And the only pushing they will be doing is when they eject you from the shop.

This is why you have the choice of either taking Whatever Happens, Using your own house insurance or writing it off as experience.

Guest clive_j

You Broke it, and now you are claiming that the case is "Not Fit For Purpose" AFTER you broke it, and not when you bought the case?

"I would take the vega official case into your store and play hell, go armed with the sales of goods act printed off and call trading standards (get a ref number). Dont let them 'push you around' stand your ground!!"

It is fit for purpose, where does it say that the Vega will not fall out of the case? By going in with the sales of goods act and not actually knowing what you are talking about you will only embarrass yourself. And the only pushing they will be doing is when they eject you from the shop.

This is why you have the choice of either taking Whatever Happens, Using your own house insurance or writing it off as experience.

The case is designed - no it was intended and patently not designed - to protect the tablet. So how can anyone say that it is fit for purpose if the tablet can so easily fall out. Mine has done so already but I was lucky as no damage was done and I took out the warranty too.

I think you should go armed with what you can and cause a fuss you have nothing to lose - other than your dignity. However the damage to the tablet might be deemed to be a consequential loss - the faulty product (ie the case) is the bit covered by the sales of good act - and it was probably free so they will probably refund you for that!!

Didn't someone recently post they were going to sell their Vega becuase of a broken screen? Maybe you could buy that and make 1 good one.

Good luck.

Guest jonnyspuruk

I do not feel I broke it? I was carrying it in its official case fastened and it slipped out and broke. In my eyes that's not fit for purpose. The case costs £30. For that I would expect it to atleast hold the Vega securely. I carry my laptop in a case that cost half that amount and ithas never fallen out nor would I expect it too!

Guest montage

Your issue is proving it fell out the case.. maybe you dropped it before you got a case... maybe it fell out who can prove either.

But being on the receiving end of "I broke my phone and I want a new one as I'm in a contract" .. " eh what's insurance... I wasn't offered any"... for too many years I have sympathy for store staff...

I was aware the case wouldn't secure the vega as much as I would liked so picked another.. suck it up.. you allowed it to drop your mistake in my opinion.

But in fear of being called a troll and to give guidence to a fellow vegan you need to raise the following points to the guy who answers the phone managers, manager, manager.. and a few managers above that as the first is just his mate sitting next to him.. the next is a team leader.. the next is his mate, the next is call center manager more than likely..

The product was advised and sold to you to protect and securly hold the product in a manor only the custom case could. It would offer protection for screen and surrounding housing from bumps but also allow access to ports. Your purpose was explained as being for protection and to be secure and as it clearly wasn't.. is not fit for purpose for this reason.

Edited by montage

Guest yabbas

The folio case IS poorly designed, and I'm thinking about returning mine and getting a replacement (and I'll keep doing this!) till the warranty on the case runs out. Perhaps once a month or so ... 10 cases down the line and PERHAPS DSG would come to the realization that the case isn't fit for purpose.

Put simply, the material stretches over a short time - which means the Vega is not held securely in place after about a week's worth of being in there, which means that you're virtually guaranteeing that your Vega slips out and crashes to the floor if you hold or flip it vertically. I've had 2 near misses and now I'm having to be very vigilant when using the Vega in the case. One resolution by the case manufacturer would've been to add a clip or a fold in the slip side. My resolution was to add rubber feet to the Vega (until perhaps, one day the material stretches further!)

It IS a nice case don't get me wrong - but it IS poorly designed - and so a thread like this was inevitable. If most of us returned the case and asked for periodic replacements (clearly showing DSG how easily our Vegas slip out of the case which isn't hard to do) then one day ... the flaws may be resolved.

Don't think the OP can do anything at this stage for his/her poor Vega.

you're in a difficult position. However if you want to take your complaint to the top do a search for ceo and email. I cannot remember the ceo's name, but when a few of us at the beginning got fed up of the stock allocation "system" we sent emails and they got sorted out uickly, efficiently and by people who have common sense and actualy want to keep the customer pleased. Because of this i paid less than 200 for my vega.

Here you go: [email protected]

They may not see it any differently to the store but i prmise this does get read - about a week after emailing him i got a phone call from people with some authority and discretion.

They may say they have not had enough complaints about the case.

Edited by pdej

Guest carl rose

I cannot believe this thread or the OP. It's just insane if not down right silly to even consider blaming the vega case for your mistake and not even thinking it's not your fault. You had the vega, you were using it you drop it and now you blaming dsg for the case not being fit for purpose? I think the one not fit is you mate as I had my vega from the beginning and now with the case for months and it never fell nor it got loose. Maybe my case is a second generation? Come on, do yourself a favour and don't embarass yourself further, it is you fault and no one elses. If you have not got house insurance or cannot replace the vega then tuff. Things like that happen it's called not being careful and it is classed as accidental damage. Nothing more and nothing less. Sell it for parts on ebay

Edited by carl rose

Guest Bogside

I peesonally think yuo'd have a strong case if you sued them on the case. They mat be liable under both the SOGA and negligence. A few points:

- the box must be fit for the buyers known purpose irrespective of what it says on the box. As this is a portable device and the case is there to protect it, then it should be known that you are expecting it to protect the tablet whilst porting it.

- for negligence, the burden of proof is likely to lie with DSG to prove that the damage was caused in an other way. Res ipsa loquitur ( the thing speaks for itself) is likely to apply here - you are likely to constantly use the case and it should be obvious therefore that the damage happened whilst in the case.

- for negligence, DSG will be liable for any foreseeable damage caused. It is foreseeable that if the case cant hold the vega then it will slip out and get damaged.

It'll cost you around £60 to sue and you'll recover this too if you win. You probably wont even need a lawyer.

Guest Infnordz

I agree that the case is not good enough, I had several occasions what the Vega started to slip out of the case, when the opening was pointed downwards in a backpack, which IMHO is not OK. The case should have, at the bare minimum, had elastic straps or other blocking mechanism, to prevent the Vega from falling out.

I've been very careful since to not have the opening pointed downwards, to avoid my Vega getting damaged.

Given that this was an official branded Dixons product 'designed' to protect the Vega, I think that they are probably legally liable for any Vega damaged by falling out of a securely held case.

Guest carl rose
I peesonally think yuo'd have a strong case if you sued them on the case. They mat be liable under both the SOGA and negligence. A few points:

- the box must be fit for the buyers known purpose irrespective of what it says on the box. As this is a portable device and the case is there to protect it, then it should be known that you are expecting it to protect the tablet whilst porting it.

- for negligence, the burden of proof is likely to lie with DSG to prove that the damage was caused in an other way. Res ipsa loquitur ( the thing speaks for itself) is likely to apply here - you are likely to constantly use the case and it should be obvious therefore that the damage happened whilst in the case.

- for negligence, DSG will be liable for any foreseeable damage caused. It is foreseeable that if the case cant hold the vega then it will slip out and get damaged.

It'll cost you around £60 to sue and you'll recover this too if you win. You probably wont even need a lawyer.

lol, I think he will be down another £60 to add to the broken tablet. It would be nice to see who will win though. I just tested it on my case and it does not slip out unless you shake it and grab it at the edges, even like that you will need to shake it many times. He will have to show how it fell and have proof that it was in the case when it fell which I think it's going to be difficult if not impossible. I think he is just trying to get his money back personally

Guest High Flyer

If you were to take it to court, you would be laughed all of the way out.

What about the MILLIONS of phone cases out there that it have the hole at the top, you know, the ones that if you hold it upside down the phone will fall out?

I'm sure someone else has said "Not Fit for Purpose" before when they have broken their phone, and got nothing out of it.

I think your best bet would be to ask the Consumer Rights forum on the MoneySavingExpert site. They will be able to hopefully give you a definitive answer.

As I said in my first post, surely you should have noticed it wasn't "Fit for Purpose" when you bought it, not this far down the line. It was Obviously "Fit for Purpose" until YOU were negligent and Broke YOUR Vega.