DSG repair cost unbelievable!!!!!!

Guest jonnyspuruk

Guest yabbas

Who could envisage the stylish Proporta case's functionality being compared to a Costabucks coffee sip-through lid. We'll be heading towards Illuminati conspiracy theories and eventually the Nazis so I'm invoking a pre-emptive strike with Godwin's Law and winning this argument, somehow, somewhere, somewhat. ["insert arguing on the internet is like".jpg]

(A better analogy would have been finding that the sip-through lid suffers from thermal expansion within minutes of being placed on the paper cup ... and falls off at a 30 degree sip-incline with ensuing Acme results. ;] )

Guest blcollier
If everyone thought like that we would just be making the insurance companies rich and never claim. I do think like that sometimes I have to admit but if it is more expensive next year I just won't take insurance for a while. It's not like it's compulsory like car insurance.

:D

It's not like it's compulsory like car insurance.

Stop; just stop right there. That ranks up there with some of the worst advice I have ever heard.

You do not want to be without home insurance - trust me. On many occasions, I had to decline home insurance claims because the customer stopped paying premiums, or hadn't bothered to check if they had the right cover. This happens all the time, but the ones that stick with you are the times when you have someone crying down the phone to you; already upset because they've been burgled and lost everything, or had a total-loss fire, and now you're telling them that you cannot do a thing to help. You try telling someone who has absolutely nothing left but the clothes they're wearing that you can't cover their claim because they didn't bother to keep their payments up to date and their policy was cancelled. If you can do that and still tell me that home insurance isn't important then you might have a leg to stand on. But I worked on the claims department for over two years and not a single person I ever knew or met there would disagree with me.

You might think these are extreme cases, but everyone thinks that until the worst happens to them. Yes, insurance companies can be money-grabbing shysters, but for crying out loud just suck it up and pay the damned premiums - if the worst ever happens to you, it'll be the first thing you need.

My apologies if this comes off as ranty - I mean no offence to anyone - but you cannot underestimate how important home insurance is.

By the way, home insurance is usually contractually compulsory if you have a mortgage. Most mortgages require you to have buildings cover and legal liabilities cover - not doing so risks violating the mortgage terms and therefore repossession. In fact, many companies automatically include buildings insurance with their mortgages, and collect the premiums as part of the mortgage payments - you then have no choice but to have insurance.

Guest carl rose

Stop; just stop right there. That ranks up there with some of the worst advice I have ever heard.

You do not want to be without home insurance - trust me. On many occasions, I had to decline home insurance claims because the customer stopped paying premiums, or hadn't bothered to check if they had the right cover. This happens all the time, but the ones that stick with you are the times when you have someone crying down the phone to you; already upset because they've been burgled and lost everything, or had a total-loss fire, and now you're telling them that you cannot do a thing to help. You try telling someone who has absolutely nothing left but the clothes they're wearing that you can't cover their claim because they didn't bother to keep their payments up to date and their policy was cancelled. If you can do that and still tell me that home insurance isn't important then you might have a leg to stand on. But I worked on the claims department for over two years and not a single person I ever knew or met there would disagree with me.

You might think these are extreme cases, but everyone thinks that until the worst happens to them. Yes, insurance companies can be money-grabbing shysters, but for crying out loud just suck it up and pay the damned premiums - if the worst ever happens to you, it'll be the first thing you need.

My apologies if this comes off as ranty - I mean no offence to anyone - but you cannot underestimate how important home insurance is.

By the way, home insurance is usually contractually compulsory if you have a mortgage. Most mortgages require you to have buildings cover and legal liabilities cover - not doing so risks violating the mortgage terms and therefore repossession. In fact, many companies automatically include buildings insurance with their mortgages, and collect the premiums as part of the mortgage payments - you then have no choice but to have insurance.

Spoken like a true insurance salesman/woman! For your information and if you care to read my post very carefully not once I said it wasn't important! I said it was not compulsory and it isn't! I never had it until my daughter was born. I don't own my house nor do I have a morgage. Another thing you should've said as in good advise was that people should claim if the feel like it and if a genuine accident or burglary happens, not stop a claim because the premium goes up next year or the excess is £150 and up. What is the point of having insurance if you are never going to claim as the excess is high and the premium goes up? For the past 4 months I didn't have home insurance, I wasn't forced to get it? I just got it again but the excess is so high that it doesn't really matter if I need to claim as I would end up paying most of it anyway and have a higher quote for next year. It's a waste of money if you ask me, Unless everything in the house is gone there is absolutly no point in claiming/having home insurance. It is better to get an extended warranty for your gadgets and appliances to be honest, then to keep paying for insurance sharks that just take and make it damn near impossible to claim. At least with the extended warranty you're not going to pay a fee for fixing it or replacing it and it doesn't go up the year after.

Edited by carl rose

Guest blcollier
Spoken like a true insurance salesman/woman!

I never said that I worked in sales. I worked in the Claims department for about 2 years. Now who's not reading posts?

For your information and if you care to read my post very carefully not once I said it wasn't important!

I do think like that sometimes I have to admit but if it is more expensive next year I just won't take insurance for a while. It's not like it's compulsory like car insurance.

If you don't take insurance, doesn't that imply that it isn't important?

I said it was not compulsory and it isn't! I ever had it until my daughter was born. I don't own my house nor do I have a morgage. Another thing you should've said as in good advise was that people should claim if the feel like it and if a genuine accident or burglary happens, not stop a claim because the premium goes up next year or the excess is £150 and up. What is the point of having insurance if you are never going to claim as the excess is high and the premium goes up? For the past 4 months I didn't have home insurance, I wasn't forced to get it? I just got it again but the excess is so high that it doesn't really matter if I need to claim as I would end up paying most of it anyway and have a higher quote for next year. It's a waste of money if you ask me, Unless everything in the house is gone there is absolutly no point in claiming/having home insurance.

Then you take out a policy that lets you select the excess you want to pay. I pay less than a tenner a month for contents & personal belongings insurance and that also covers accidental damage; it also only has a £50 excess. I don't consider that expensive at all; before you ask, no I do not get any staff discount on that - I found this policy on moneysupermarket. If you feel you have a genuine need to claim - and it will be worthwhile for you to do so (i.e. not paying a £100 excess to replace a £150 product) - then by all means claim. Yes your insurance company will try to get out of paying for it, but what do you expect? They're a business - businesses are in business to make money, and it is naive to think otherwise. However if you genuinely have an incident that is covered, they will eventually be legally obliged to pay out - you can take this all the way to the Financial Services Ombudsman and if you're correct they'll back you all the way. If I was in the OPs shoes, I wouldn't have hesitated to claim for the an accidentally damaged Vega, because I know I can't easily replace it; it might be relatively cheap, but I don't earn megabucks.

Even if you never need the policy 99% of the time, it will be worth it for that 1% when you do need it. What would you have done if in those 4 months you had been burgled? All the expensive big-ticket items - like laptops, PCs, TVs, blu-ray players, etc - are gone; the rest of the house is completely trashed because the thieves decided to throw things like paint and bleach everywhere. What do you do now? Just take five minutes to walk round your flat/house/whatever and just mentally price up how much you paid for everything. Now imagine having to replace all of that tomorrow.

The average large theft claim I used to deal with averaged out to around a £15,000 payout in total and most customers pay around £20 to £30 a month - so let's assume that's £360 per year. Let's say you have home insurance for ten years before you suffer a major burglary: you'd have paid £3,600 in premiums, but the insurance company is going to pay out a whole hell of a lot more than that.

It is better to get an extended warranty for your gadgets and appliances to be honest, then to keep paying for insurance sharks that just take and make it damn near impossible to claim. At least with the extended warranty you're not going to pay a fee for fixing it or replacing it and it doesn't go up the year after.

Again, warranty is not insurance. An extended warranty would not have helped the OP. The Vega fell out of it's case - this is accidental damage; it is not a warranty matter because it was not an inherent fault with the Vega that caused the damage. Warranties deal with manufacturing flaws, defects, breakdowns, etc... Insurance deals with unexpected loss or damage caused by external means.

If you want to be that emotional and distressed guy on the phone whose total-loss claim has just been turned down, then please be my guest.

Guest carl rose
I never said that I worked in sales. I worked in the Claims department for about 2 years. Now who's not reading posts?

If you don't take insurance, doesn't that imply that it isn't important?

Then you take out a policy that lets you select the excess you want to pay. I pay less than a tenner a month for contents & personal belongings insurance and that also covers accidental damage; it also only has a £50 excess. I don't consider that expensive at all; before you ask, no I do not get any staff discount on that - I found this policy on moneysupermarket. If you feel you have a genuine need to claim - and it will be worthwhile for you to do so (i.e. not paying a £100 excess to replace a £150 product) - then by all means claim. Yes your insurance company will try to get out of paying for it, but what do you expect? They're a business - businesses are in business to make money, and it is naive to think otherwise. However if you genuinely have an incident that is covered, they will eventually be legally obliged to pay out - you can take this all the way to the Financial Services Ombudsman and if you're correct they'll back you all the way. If I was in the OPs shoes, I wouldn't have hesitated to claim for the an accidentally damaged Vega, because I know I can't easily replace it; it might be relatively cheap, but I don't earn megabucks.

Even if you never need the policy 99% of the time, it will be worth it for that 1% when you do need it. What would you have done if in those 4 months you had been burgled? All the expensive big-ticket items - like laptops, PCs, TVs, blu-ray players, etc - are gone; the rest of the house is completely trashed because the thieves decided to throw things like paint and bleach everywhere. What do you do now? Just take five minutes to walk round your flat/house/whatever and just mentally price up how much you paid for everything. Now imagine having to replace all of that tomorrow.

The average large theft claim I used to deal with averaged out to around a £15,000 payout in total and most customers pay around £20 to £30 a month - so let's assume that's £360 per year. Let's say you have home insurance for ten years before you suffer a major burglary: you'd have paid £3,600 in premiums, but the insurance company is going to pay out a whole hell of a lot more than that.

Again, warranty is not insurance. An extended warranty would not have helped the OP. The Vega fell out of it's case - this is accidental damage; it is not a warranty matter because it was not an inherent fault with the Vega that caused the damage. Warranties deal with manufacturing flaws, defects, breakdowns, etc... Insurance deals with unexpected loss or damage caused by external means.

If you want to be that emotional and distressed guy on the phone whose total-loss claim has just been turned down, then please be my guest.

Sorry did not realise that you were a claimsmen. That is what your job title was when you worked at claims isn't it? I think you will find that it is still insurance sales related. It is just the claims part of the same business. All I can say to all the crap you posted is that it is rubbish and one more bill to pay for nothing as you said the insurance company will try to wiggle out of it in the end but they are there to get our money all the time. I have been burgled, paid insurance and now I have to prove that the insurance company is legally liable. What a nice business, pay them £3.600 a year and don't claim as it might go up. Do you think that if I had been burgled and I didn't have insurance I would replace everything the very next day? Of course not. You replace it with time. I can be a lifetime paying for this insurance without ever claiming. That is what the insurance companies really want us to do and even though when they are liable to pay the make up excuses and try to get out of paying. You actually made up my mind, thanks. When my new policy finishes I will never get it again. :D

Guest blcollier
Sorry did not realise that you were a claimsmen. That is what your job title was when you worked at claims isn't it? I think you will find that it is still insurance sales related. It is just the claims part of the same business. All I can say to all the crap you posted is that it is rubbish and one more bill to pay for nothing as you said the insurance company will try to wiggle out of it in the end but they are there to get our money all the time. I have been burgled, paid insurance and now I have to prove that the insurance company is legally liable. What a nice business, pay them £3.600 a year and don't claim as it might go up. Do you think that if I had been burgled and I didn't have insurance I would replace everything the very next day? Of course not. You replace it with time. I can be a lifetime paying for this insurance without ever claiming. That is what the insurance companies really want us to do and even though when they are liable to pay the make up excuses and try to get out of paying. You actually made up my mind, thanks. When my new policy finishes I will never get it again. :D

My job title was "Claims Assessor", and no it was not related to sales at all. Claims roles are not allowed to be related to sales roles due to FSA legislations; you cannot be in a position to make decisions on claims and offer to sell new policies or policy upgrades at the same time. The FSA tend to impose pretty severe fines for breaching these regulations too. I might have been able to say "Sorry, you need this cover to make this claim and you don't have it", but that doesn't mean that I can say "Here, why don't I give you this cover".

Like I said, if you want to be in the position of having to replace every damaged/stolen/lost item yourself, please feel free. If you want to think that I am biased, "part of the system" or talking crap then go right ahead. Just don't go writing posts in a public forum which imply that not having insurance is ok.

Guest carl rose
My job title was "Claims Assessor", and no it was not related to sales at all. Claims roles are not allowed to be related to sales roles due to FSA legislations; you cannot be in a position to make decisions on claims and offer to sell new policies or policy upgrades at the same time. The FSA tend to impose pretty severe fines for breaching these regulations too. I might have been able to say "Sorry, you need this cover to make this claim and you don't have it", but that doesn't mean that I can say "Here, why don't I give you this cover".

Like I said, if you want to be in the position of having to replace every damaged/stolen/lost item yourself, please feel free. If you want to think that I am biased, "part of the system" or talking crap then go right ahead. Just don't go writing posts in a public forum which imply that not having insurance is ok.

Not having insurance is actually ok. Unless you want to feed the big corporate greedy machine that are the insurance companies. As an advise to everyone, it is not compulsary to have home insurance just because you have a house but it is compulsory to have car insurance if you have a car on the road. :D

Guest blcollier
Not having insurance is actually ok. Unless you want to feed the big corporate greedy machine that are the insurance companies. As an advise to everyone, it is not compulsary to have home insurance just because you have a house but it is compulsory to have car insurance if you have a car on the road. :D

Yeah, yeah, corporate greed, big evil banks, greedy fatcats, no one looks out for the little guy... Yawn...

Guest worto03
Interesting - "Advent Vega Firmware updates -- £45 "

Think I'll skip that one.......

lol - out of interest I emailed them asking for more details about it and they have replied to say it was a 'design error' on the website, oh well did sound a bit too good to be true didn't it!

Guest warriorscot

What a rip off, £45 for a 3 minute job. And more for software fixes that are free.

And carl rose while you seem like a smart guy in some things you are bloody stupid when it comes to insurance. It's utterly irresponsible not to have it which is why it compulsory for drivers and in MANY mortgages. Small claims and low excess costs you more on a home policy and if that is worth it or not is something that is debatable. Having no insurance at all is beyond idiocy it's not such a big deal if you don't have a lot of stuff to lose and don't own your own home. But if you own 10s of thousands of pounds of possessions and a home with a mortgage not having insurance is a mugs bet because if your house burns down you have no support. You have lost possessions it would take you years to replace. You have lost a home that you still have to pay a mortgage on. Best case scenario you live in a s*** hole with crap stuff you are still going to have lost way more than you will ever pay in premiums. You wouldn't go to a foreign country without travel insurance or drive a car without insurance both things that would cost you less if something went wrong than the loss of your home and/or its contents.

Also Fire,Natural Disaster, Burglary, random acts of chaos happen all the bloody time. I would be hard pressed to find someone that has never claimed anything at all on home insurance. And in some cases they do more than just give you money to replace lost property but provide assistance when things going wrong being calling a late night plumber for you or arranging accommodation.

Guest carl rose
What a rip off, £45 for a 3 minute job. And more for software fixes that are free.

And carl rose while you seem like a smart guy in some things you are bloody stupid when it comes to insurance. It's utterly irresponsible not to have it which is why it compulsory for drivers and in MANY mortgages. Small claims and low excess costs you more on a home policy and if that is worth it or not is something that is debatable. Having no insurance at all is beyond idiocy it's not such a big deal if you don't have a lot of stuff to lose and don't own your own home. But if you own 10s of thousands of pounds of possessions and a home with a mortgage not having insurance is a mugs bet because if your house burns down you have no support. You have lost possessions it would take you years to replace. You have lost a home that you still have to pay a mortgage on. Best case scenario you live in a s*** hole with crap stuff you are still going to have lost way more than you will ever pay in premiums. You wouldn't go to a foreign country without travel insurance or drive a car without insurance both things that would cost you less if something went wrong than the loss of your home and/or its contents.

Also Fire,Natural Disaster, Burglary, random acts of chaos happen all the bloody time. I would be hard pressed to find someone that has never claimed anything at all on home insurance. And in some cases they do more than just give you money to replace lost property but provide assistance when things going wrong being calling a late night plumber for you or arranging accommodation.

Are you an insurance seller as well? Or do you work in claims? I don't give a damn if other people agree on having insurance, I don't simple. If you got millions of pounds in possessions then you have it. I don't have millions of pounds in possessions, is that a crime? I don't live in a s*** hole, but I can round up everything I possess to about £15.000. It would take me a bit of time to get all things back but I would do it. with the economy like this you have to count every penny and paying an insurance premium is not at the top of my priorities to be honest. What would you chose, put food on the table or pay an insurance premium? You talk like you got lots of money to spend so for you it doesn't really matter but not everyone is like you. Am I stupid because of that? Stupid are your assumptions that everyone is well of like you, what are you doing buying the vega if you can buy the best tablet in the market? Vega is for the poor.

Edited by carl rose

Guest montage

Dont pay your insurance then and be uninsured.. your choice unless its a legal requirement.

The point of claiming on your home insurance for a inexpensive product costing more in the long run is valid..

Guest zzleezz

This is getting a little daft and at risk of getting dragged into a bun fight I will offer my experiences.

As someone that has never been rich I have claimed on my contents insurance over the years for 2 laptops (both dropped), a video camera, and 2 expensive tennis rackets (my only luxury). My monthly payment for my contents insurance is a little over £10 a month so I consider myself well ahead of the game and at the same time I have the knowledge that if tomorrow my telly falls off the wall I will be able to replace it with one as good as and probably better. All that for a couple of pounds a week, its a no brainer to me.

Carl, you have a right not to take out compulsory insurance, but I dont think you have a right to deride others for not doing something that is in every way sensible. By the way, I am not and never have been connected to selling insurance or anything else to do with it. I assume that your car is insured and that you take out the absolute minimum cover, ie third party only? Well over the last 5 years 2 people have managed to drive into my car whilst it was parked outside my house, I was lucky the first time as someone saw it happen and told me who it was so I could claim on their insurance, but the second time I was not so lucky. I was lucky that I had fully comprehensive insurance and was able to have a car despite the fact I had nobody to blame or claim from.

Not having insurance, even if your possessions only amount to £15000 is just not a sensible thing to do. And I bet if you actually go through your rooms 1 by 1 and total it all up, think how much each cd you have is worth as an example, and its how much to replace, not how much its worth now.

Anyway, lets keep it civil, all are entitled to their opinion but it starts to get nasty if we get personal :D

Guest carl rose
This is getting a little daft and at risk of getting dragged into a bun fight I will offer my experiences.

As someone that has never been rich I have claimed on my contents insurance over the years for 2 laptops (both dropped), a video camera, and 2 expensive tennis rackets (my only luxury). My monthly payment for my contents insurance is a little over £10 a month so I consider myself well ahead of the game and at the same time I have the knowledge that if tomorrow my telly falls off the wall I will be able to replace it with one as good as and probably better. All that for a couple of pounds a week, its a no brainer to me.

Carl, you have a right not to take out compulsory insurance, but I dont think you have a right to deride others for not doing something that is in every way sensible. By the way, I am not and never have been connected to selling insurance or anything else to do with it. I assume that your car is insured and that you take out the absolute minimum cover, ie third party only? Well over the last 5 years 2 people have managed to drive into my car whilst it was parked outside my house, I was lucky the first time as someone saw it happen and told me who it was so I could claim on their insurance, but the second time I was not so lucky. I was lucky that I had fully comprehensive insurance and was able to have a car despite the fact I had nobody to blame or claim from.

Not having insurance, even if your possessions only amount to £15000 is just not a sensible thing to do. And I bet if you actually go through your rooms 1 by 1 and total it all up, think how much each cd you have is worth as an example, and its how much to replace, not how much its worth now.

Anyway, lets keep it civil, all are entitled to their opinion but it starts to get nasty if we get personal :D

Yes, I agree with that. I didn't get personal or nasty, just writting my opinion. My possessions might be more than £15.000 if you put it like that. The price of electronics and gadgets does go down a lot too and the price of some of the cd's i bought 5 years ago are now pennies. I had insurance and I have it now as well but never claimed. This is for the sole reason that next year I would have a claim on file and it would cost me much more to get insurance again. If example I broke my bedroom tv and the replacement cost me £350. If I have to pay £150 of the excess and then a higher insurance next year it is the same as paying for the item slowly isn't it? We were talking about contents insurance, I don't know why it got drifted to buildings insurance? I don't own a house but if I did obviously I would like to protect my investment and get the full home insurance, buildings and contents. In the event of a flood or earthquake or theft then it is worth it, if you are going to claim thousands of pounds paying the £150 excess for the claim seems like peanuts compared to what it would cost me. In that scenario then I will have to agree that insurance is a good thing but not to claim for little items or one item that costs below £700 as you will end up paying for the item slowly with the excess and higher premiums the years after. So I do agree with this argument to a certain extent but for someone in my situation it is just not feaseble to have another expense at the moment. In relation to car insurance I am fully comp as I have 6 year no claims bonus and have been a driver for a while, if I want a car on the road I have to take out insurance, it's compulsory and not having it it's against the law. With home insyrance in my situation it's good to have but I'm affraid it's not compulsary I don't have to have it just because I rent a house. It is an unfurnished house so if anything gets broken in the house the landlord fixes it and with the contents it's my responsability to replace it, if I chose not to have contents insurance then I will have to replace everything I break. Hope that clarifies things a bit.

Edited by carl rose