Will this ever get honeycomb?

Guest Sami Beck

Guest simonta
im waiting it out before i buy one , will it ever get honeycomb?

My guess is around the same time as the search feature on the forum gets overloaded :D

Guest stoolzo
One of the best responses i've heard all month!

Made me laugh!

I think we are waiting for the first proper full honey ROM with all the right bits in it for tegra, once this is found work can start. Shouldnt be long as zoom is out soon.

Guest Lennyuk

Things that will happen

1) Someone decides to do a port from the SDK, this is possible but unlikely to be working very well at all

2) We wait for AOSP and see what happens then

3) The vega or a clone gets an official rom which we can use as a base to make our own better roms.

Guest marind

Advent vega on twitter just posted this

To those asking about Honeycomb, we're still investigating with partners & promise to come back to you as soon as we have full understanding

Partners=paul??

Guest blcollier

Advent vega on twitter just posted this

To those asking about Honeycomb, we're still investigating with partners & promise to come back to you as soon as we have full understanding

Partners=paul??

They're delaying releasing it because they're concerned that people will try to shoehorn it onto phones and create a poor user experience.

The whole point of open source is that your work is provided back to and shared with the community. If some enthusiast somewhere manages to shoehorn it on to a phone and does a p*sspoor job of it, that's their fault not Google's. So, as ever, Android remains as open source as Google want it to be. Previous versions of Android: you can have the OS, but you can't have all the nice bits like the market unless you meet this criteria and license it; Honeycomb: well, we think you'll make our pretty little baby look rubbish, so you just sit there and wait until we do your job for you - you can have it when we think you're ready for it.

Here's hoping it doesn't affect the progress of getting Android on Vega clones, or Advent actually releasing a version of their own.

Guest Tony Williams
They're delaying releasing it because they're concerned that people will try to shoehorn it onto phones and create a poor user experience.

If you look here someone has already started the shoehorning process!

Guest Lennyuk

The whole point of open source is that your work is provided back to and shared with the community. If some enthusiast somewhere manages to shoehorn it on to a phone and does a p*sspoor job of it, that's their fault not Google's. So, as ever, Android remains as open source as Google want it to be. Previous versions of Android: you can have the OS, but you can't have all the nice bits like the market unless you meet this criteria and license it; Honeycomb: well, we think you'll make our pretty little baby look rubbish, so you just sit there and wait until we do your job for you - you can have it when we think you're ready for it.

Here's hoping it doesn't affect the progress of getting Android on Vega clones, or Advent actually releasing a version of their own.

Or us Sceptics would believe that they are hiding something away, seen as they have had a large number of lawsuits filed against them recently for "stealing code"

And for the other person asking if partners = paul, no the partners will be the OEM, otherwise known as "Shuttle" who supply the Vega (and clones) to all the relevant parties, it is they that design the software that is then slightly modified by each party.

Guest Sanddancer75
If you look here someone has already started the shoehorning process!

dammit, I'll be tempted to try that on my phone when they iron some of the problems out with it. I'm not stupid enough to blame Google if it doesn't work well though. I'm running CM7 at the moment & I'm putting up with some of its issues rather then go back to 2.1.

Edited by Sanddancer75

Guest blcollier
Or us Sceptics would believe that they are hiding something away, seen as they have had a large number of lawsuits filed against them recently for "stealing code"

Which is also a very good point that I had not considered :D. I did some reading about the Oracle vs Google suit, and it was actually quite interesting... Seems their biggest point is that Google had used Oracle code in some of the unit testing modules in Android - for internal testing purposes - which was then inadvertantly distributed to others. Haven't really been following the story recently though...

Guest shambolic
dammit, I'll be tempted to try that on my phone when they iron some of the problems out with it. I'm not stupid enough to blame Google if it doesn't work well though. I'm running CM7 at the moment & I'm putting up with some of its issues rather then go back to 2.1.

Interested to know what these issues are. As I am thinking of going over to CM7

Guest Sanddancer75
Interested to know what these issues are. As I am thinking of going over to CM7

I was running one of Flibblesan's older ROMs & it was great. CM7 (RC 2 by the way) gives me worse battery life, the proximity sensor doesn't work right (there's supposedly a fix that I've not got round to for this though) meaning you can't hang up (very annoying if you're calling someone & it goes to their voicemail), & the touchscreen can die right in the middle of using it requiring you to put the phone to sleep & reawaken. It's got some nice graphical touches, but the little niggles will annoy you.