Adding ringtone to notifications (among other problems)

Hi

I am brand new to Smartphones and my OSF was delivered on Saturday. First thoughts were that I hated it. I am finding the touch screen difficult to use and keep selecting the wrong letters, etc when I am trying to enter information. However I am trying to persevere as I have 7 days (5 left) to decide whether to keep it or not.

I have read about flashing and adding ROM's etc on here, but don't want to do anything until I decide.

I can't access the Android Market as I get an error message that there is no phone associated with the email address. This seems to be a common problem according to the Gmail help pages so any help with this would be appreciated.

However back to the original reason for my post.

I have managed to download a ringtone to the phone and finally found it under Filer. I would like to assign this to Notifications, but it only gives me the option to assign it to Ringtones. It's an alarm as none of the available Notification tones is suitable for what I need.

Can anyone advise how I can do this? Idiot proof language only please as I am struggling with the phone as it is, but have learned a lot reading your forums.