Newbie, please help in rooting Galaxy Tab

Guest Desertfox3363

Guest Desertfox3363

Hi there. I'm new to MoDaCo, Android and rooting but have some computer know-how. I am trying to root my new Samsung Galaxy Tab. How do you restart the Galaxy Tab in "recovery mode" ? Correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding of the instructions to root and install a custom ROM is:

1. Root the device using SuperOneClick Root app

2. Install the custom ROM (just baked a new ROM using the kitchen)

To install this ROM:

* Download the zip file of your choice from the links below (or the online kitchen) and copy to your SD card

* Restart your device in recovery mode

* PERFORM A NANDROID BACKUP FROM THE MENU

* Select the option to apply an update zip, and select the zip file you copied to your memory card - your device will auto convert to EXT4 on installation. You MUST have a microSD installed with enough space to back up your /data and /system partitions!

Any help is very much appreciated.

Guest Desertfox3363
Hi there. I'm new to MoDaCo, Android and rooting but have some computer know-how. I am trying to root my new Samsung Galaxy Tab. How do you restart the Galaxy Tab in "recovery mode" ? Correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding of the instructions to root and install a custom ROM is:

1. Root the device using SuperOneClick Root app

2. Install the custom ROM (just baked a new ROM using the kitchen)

To install this ROM:

* Download the zip file of your choice from the links below (or the online kitchen) and copy to your SD card

* Restart your device in recovery mode

* PERFORM A NANDROID BACKUP FROM THE MENU

* Select the option to apply an update zip, and select the zip file you copied to your memory card - your device will auto convert to EXT4 on installation. You MUST have a microSD installed with enough space to back up your /data and /system partitions!

Any help is very much appreciated.

Wow, 34 reads and not a single reply ! Maybe I need to re-phrase my question. I'm lost in step #2 of installing ROM. How do you "restart your device in recovery mode" ? Additionally, what's a NANDROID BACKUP and do I need separate app for this?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide a noob like me.

Guest TangoEight
Wow, 34 reads and not a single reply ! Maybe I need to re-phrase my question. I'm lost in step #2 of installing ROM. How do you "restart your device in recovery mode" ? Additionally, what's a NANDROID BACKUP and do I need separate app for this?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide a noob like me.

NANDROID is a backup of everything on your phone pretty much cloning it into a folder on your SD card. To get one

1 Install ROM Manager from the market [web link]

2 In ROM Manager flash ClockWorkMod Recovery, pick your device from the list (usually a list of one :D )

3 In ROM Manager pick reboot into recovery

4 Not owning a tab, im not sure exactly how you move around in clockworkmod recovery on the tab but its probably volume keys to move up/down and power to select, or something similar (thats what it is on the desire hd)

5 Pick "backup/restore" then "backup" in clockworkmod recovery (or something very similar)

6 It should show scrolling text saying "backing up xxx" (or similar), xxx being which part of the system it is backing up

7 When it says "backup complete" pick "reboot device" from the top of the first menu

8 The tab should reboot and the backup will be in SD card > clockworkmod > backup

You can install ROMs through the ROM manager or through clockworkmod recovery, not too sure about the details though

Guest Desertfox3363
NANDROID is a backup of everything on your phone pretty much cloning it into a folder on your SD card. To get one

1 Install ROM Manager from the market [web link]

2 In ROM Manager flash ClockWorkMod Recovery, pick your device from the list (usually a list of one :D )

3 In ROM Manager pick reboot into recovery

4 Not owning a tab, im not sure exactly how you move around in clockworkmod recovery on the tab but its probably volume keys to move up/down and power to select, or something similar (thats what it is on the desire hd)

5 Pick "backup/restore" then "backup" in clockworkmod recovery (or something very similar)

6 It should show scrolling text saying "backing up xxx" (or similar), xxx being which part of the system it is backing up

7 When it says "backup complete" pick "reboot device" from the top of the first menu

8 The tab should reboot and the backup will be in SD card > clockworkmod > backup

You can install ROMs through the ROM manager or through clockworkmod recovery, not too sure about the details though

Thanks TangoEigth. I'll try that tonight when I get back home and let you know the outcome.

Guest Desertfox3363
Thanks TangoEigth. I'll try that tonight when I get back home and let you know the outcome.

Ooops ! I forgot to mention that I am in a part of the world where the Android Market is still unavailable !!! Ugh, and I only have this very limited market called SlideME hence I could not download and install the ROM Manager ! Tried ADVERTISING SPAM but their server is almost always unavailable. Would it be possible to get it elsewhere? Can it be sent by email ? Thanks again.