Amazon App store

Guest Bogside

Guest Bogside

Thought I'd download and have a look, if for nothing else than the free angry birds app. But despite the fact that I could download the store and have a look around it wouldn't let me download anything. Even free apps. Says its not available in my region. Not sure if it can tell my location off my phone number or bank card details.

Guest tailzer

That's crap. I got the email to download the apk from them and then it says not in your region when try to dl the apps.....

Amazon Fail!!

Guest schprlock

I really don't get why we might need an Amazon app store... For me the advantage of an app store is to have all applications centralized in one place, with easy search, download and upgrade. If everybody is going to start creating new app stores (Archos, Toshiba, Samsung, and now Amazon), it's gonna get really messy.

I hate Apple policies, but in this case I would understand if someone would block companies from creating app stores.

Guest beegee1962
Thought I'd download and have a look, if for nothing else than the free angry birds app. But despite the fact that I could download the store and have a look around it wouldn't let me download anything. Even free apps. Says its not available in my region. Not sure if it can tell my location off my phone number or bank card details.

Did you try Market Enabler?

It works for Google market, maybe it works as well for other markets.

Guest simonta

Only a guess.

Amazon can't afford not to launch App Store at all in the face of the Apple lawsuit but equally, didn't want to commit to rolling it out any further in case they lose.

Personally, I hope that Apple lose this one. To give Apple precedent in patenting such a generic phrase as "app store" would not bode well for the future. Were are the regulators? Act now before it's too late! This time next year, you'll have to rename the fruit..

Guest ChocolateRobot
Only a guess.

Amazon can't afford not to launch App Store at all in the face of the Apple lawsuit but equally, didn't want to commit to rolling it out any further in case they lose.

Personally, I hope that Apple lose this one. To give Apple precedent in patenting such a generic phrase as "app store" would not bode well for the future. Were are the regulators? Act now before it's too late! This time next year, you'll have to rename the fruit..

Companies always test the ground in the US first. Don't think the Apple lawsuit will have much impact as they are being counter sued by Microsoft on the usage of "appstore". I believe that Microsoft are stating that "appstore" is now a mainstream piece of terminology and not specific to Apple products. It could drag on for years.......hooray!

Guest bazanime
I really don't get why we might need an Amazon app store... For me the advantage of an app store is to have all applications centralized in one place, with easy search, download and upgrade. If everybody is going to start creating new app stores (Archos, Toshiba, Samsung, and now Amazon), it's gonna get really messy.

I hate Apple policies, but in this case I would understand if someone would block companies from creating app stores.

I agree with you. Too many app stores for the same platform doesn't make sense anymore, especial when its easy to access it from the built in app. I'm not find of all these 3rd party stores, it creates confusion and consumers miss out on things happening in other stores.

One store, all apps, all deals, easy access for every one.

Guest ViPaSoft

Another problem is with apps been launched on specific appstores. The new Angry Birds RIO only seems to be available on the Amazon Appstore and not yet in the market. Also, the original Angry Birds is free on Market, but $0.99 on Amazon.!.!.!.

Guest spacecadetuk

It knows where you are by your IP address, might work through a proxy or VPN

Guest Barbs80
the original Angry Birds is free on Market, but $0.99 on Amazon.!.!.!.

the version on Amazon is Ad free, the free version with ads is on there too

Edited by Barbs80

Guest Barbs80
It knows where you are by your IP address, might work through a proxy or VPN

doesn't go by IP address, I wasted a couple of hours on that route (was at work and 99% of proxies are blocked!)

Eventually got it working by using a credit card number which validates to the US. There's a site which lists dummy credit card numbers which pass the validation check (used for testing purposes). Obviously you can't buy anything with them as they would fail at payment stage but good enough to enable your account for free apps.

Can be done with Dummy details for CC and Address...just tried it and it worked very well. However I don't want the Poker game! What's the legality on something like that? As I'm unsure I've removed the details, but interesting that it works so easily!

EDIT: It does need both USA Address and CC details as I just tried my CC with a USA address and it didn't work.

Edited by pdej

Needs a valid US address too. Google for one. I live in a hotel in Vegas :D

When I tried it I was at a Bank in NY!

Thought better of that one, and might try your hotel idea. Just feels safer.

Guest Egroeg
I agree with you. Too many app stores for the same platform doesn't make sense anymore, especial when its easy to access it from the built in app. I'm not find of all these 3rd party stores, it creates confusion and consumers miss out on things happening in other stores.

One store, all apps, all deals, easy access for every one.

You should remember that there is only one company producing apple hardware, but many producing android hardware, and they all want a slice of the pie, hence the ever increasing number of 'app stores'.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest rich_bown

I got further than that by creating a fake US addressed new amazon account.

Downloaded all ok and there's a bigger FAIL waiting for users:

If you're not logged into amazons own app store, you can't run anything downloaded from there.

Did it with angry birds rio, and seasons, and one other which escapes me.

FAIL!

I got further than that by creating a fake US addressed new amazon account.

Downloaded all ok and there's a bigger FAIL waiting for users:

If you're not logged into amazons own app store, you can't run anything downloaded from there.

Did it with angry birds rio, and seasons, and one other which escapes me.

FAIL!

Is that really true? i'm sure i have played games downloaded from there when i've had the amazon appstore uninstalled.