Converting MKV files help

Guest mug2k

Guest mug2k

Hey guys,

I bought this tablet thinking it would play mkv files but it seems there is no play that we can use that supports mkv files yet until a vlc port comes (I saw this in the forum). Before I even received my tablet I had got about 30gb of mkv files waiting to put on it not knowing they weren't supported.

Now that I know I have to convert but my question is what should I convert the mkv files to, I am not very experienced with different file types regarding their audio/video quality and compression and also can anyone recommend me a converting program. Any help on this would be appreciated.

Thanks

Guest blcollier

If I remember correctly, the Vega (or rather Tegra) supports hardware accelerated decoding of H.264 files in MP4 containers. Grab a copy of Hanbrake and you should be able to use some of the default encoding settings - provided you remember to change the codec to x.264/h.264 and container format to MP4.

There will be loads of guides available via Google for setting the correct options in Handbrake.

EDIT: If you have the right hardware in your PC - such as any Nvidia graphics card above the 9600/9800 series - Handbrake also supports hardware-accelerated encoding, which makes things significantly quicker.

Edited by blcollier

Guest mug2k

Thanks for the replies guys but I have an ATI graphics card, HD 4850 but I heard there is something called ATI Stream which is smilar to CUDA. I will give this Handbrake a try cheers

Guest dfghggfgfd

Android actually supports the MKV-Container.

The problem is the used codec, specially for audio. You won´t be able to play AC3 or DTS on Android, best thing is to use AAC for audio, although mp3 should work too.

For video H.264 is supported, and especially 720p seems to be quite good. In many cases it is enough just to reencode the audio to AAC and directly use the 720p H.264-video-stream, which of course is much faster (and won´t sacrifice video-quality) than a full recode.

It isn´t that good for 1080p, only Baseline-profile is supported

Guest Qwertymon
Android actually supports the MKV-Container.

The problem is the used codec, specially for audio. You won´t be able to play AC3 or DTS on Android, best thing is to use AAC for audio, although mp3 should work too.

For video H.264 is supported, and especially 720p seems to be quite good. In many cases it is enough just to reencode the audio to AAC and directly use the 720p H.264-video-stream, which of course is much faster (and won´t sacrifice video-quality) than a full recode.

It isn´t that good for 1080p, only Baseline-profile is supported

go get handbrake.

set the profile to normal

choose settings

win

Guest BiggerH

I still can't get this to work

I have, say, a TV show in MKV format at 720P

I convert using Handbrake, trying all the different settings mentioned in various threads (mp4/mkv), different audio options/etc, and they just won't play.

The stock player won't play it at all, and Rockplayer struggles with constant judder

Can anyone help me out please?

Guest MaxiP

In Handbrake, I created a custom profile based on the iPad but with the correct aspect ratio (Anamorphic - None & set ratio). I usually reduce the file size as well (4Gb -> 1.5Gb maximum) so I can fit a few more on the SD card or leave it 'as is' if I'm going to store on USB drive.

You will need to play around with the settings to get the optimal so try different video codec & target size to find what is acceptable to you.

Guest blcollier
You will need to play around with the settings to get the optimal so try different video codec & target size to find what is acceptable to you.

This. Get hold of a test video file, something like Big Buck Bunny, and try the same file with various different encoding settings until you find one that works well and gives a good picture quality. There are plenty of Handbrake profiles floating around for Android, but they're usually optimised for mobile phone screens - you may lose quality with these on the Vega, as it's higher res than most phones.

I will have a play around over the weekend, see if I can find the right combination of settings, and post a Handbrake profile for the Vega (assuming that no one has already done this).

Guest BiggerH
I will have a play around over the weekend, see if I can find the right combination of settings, and post a Handbrake profile for the Vega (assuming that no one has already done this).

nice one - thanks

Guest blcollier
Try an App called Rockplayer in the market. It plays most any video format you have.

Yeah, I've got RockPlayer and I've bought VPlayer also (bought this on my Desire), but they simply refuse to play some of the videos I've got - even though, in theory, they support the codec/container. Given that the built-in media player supports the Tegra hardware acceleration - and the third party players do not appear to - I'd rather stick to native Android formats. It does mean transcoding, but that's never really fazed me in the past. If nothing else, it has to be better for battery life (no HW acceleration = more work for the main CPU(s) to do = more power consumed).

nice one - thanks

Will do what I can...though if anyone else comes up with a profile/optimal settings for Handbrake in the mean time, feel free to post them.