Opera Web Browser

Guest wobblydoggy

Guest simonta

Don't want to sound curmudgeonly and not saying good or bad but I recommend that you make sure that you understand the difference between Opera, Opera mobile and Opera Mini, how Opera works and read the license agreement before you make a decision.

Be aware that encrypted pages are decrypted on the Opera servers before being re-encrypted, compressed and sent to you. All well and good when a benign company owns those servers but what if....

Make an informed decision, not just "looks good".

Cheers

Guest bazanime

Fair enough I agree with the caution needed, but frankly we do the same thing with Google everyday :D. They must know every thing about me by now and that's the risk we take more and more in this new cloud based world.

Opera are veterans in the business and I can trust them to source secure datacentre partners as much I can the other major online companies. Online info is never entirely safe from anyone.

That said, opera should work on a more secure solution. Don't make it too easy for malicious use.

Edited by bazanime

Guest blcollier

To be honest, I'm more concerned about the compression that mobile versions of Opera performs on images. These days, you do not need to compress images to get pages to load quicker; it's not like we're using WAP any more. I want the full un-censored and un-compressed experience I get on my desktop, thanks.

Guest warriorscot

There is usually a setting to turn compression off. When I get back from cyprus I amica definately giving this a try as opera is typically my browser of choice.

Guest Lennyuk

Opera Mini is the best of the two, but has no flash support

Opera Mobile has flash support

Neither have the option to change User Agent, so the tablet always identifies itself as a phone and therefore many websites display poorly, I would much rather stick to Miren Browser for now with its UA set to Chrome.

Maybe if Opera add the ability to change UA then I might reconsider it, but for now its no use at all.

Guest thedicemaster

opera mobile does have an option for user-agent.

search user-agent on the opera:config page and you get a box where you can enter a different one.

Guest Lennyuk
opera mobile does have an option for user-agent.

search user-agent on the opera:config page and you get a box where you can enter a different one.

wow, ok thanks will take a look now

Guest Kevrae

really liking the new version of mini flash works fine and liking the browser bar at the top includes search back/forward and a quick little menu button. I do like it been using it for a few days and good so far.

Guest Lennyuk

For those that want to change the UA

Go to the address bar and type "Opera:Config" then go

Then search in teh search box for "user-agent" then in the box below input this

"Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1) AppleWebKit/534.25 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/12.0.706.0 Safari/534.25"

Then press save

and restart the browser

this will give you Chrome's UA.

Guest Kraaz
For those that want to change the UA

Go to the address bar and type "Opera:Config" then go

Then search in teh search box for "user-agent" then in the box below input this

"Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1) AppleWebKit/534.25 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/12.0.706.0 Safari/534.25"

Then press save

and restart the browser

this will give you Chrome's UA.

right but this is temporary.

if you paste it to user agent after restarting tablet, opera going to default settings again.

to make it permanent search user prefs , in user prefs find custom user agent section and put it there.

this one also make all web pages to show in desktop mode

Edited by Kraaz

Don't want to sound curmudgeonly and not saying good or bad but I recommend that you make sure that you understand the difference between Opera, Opera mobile and Opera Mini, how Opera works and read the license agreement before you make a decision.

Be aware that encrypted pages are decrypted on the Opera servers before being re-encrypted, compressed and sent to you. All well and good when a benign company owns those servers but what if....

Make an informed decision, not just "looks good".

Cheers

Is it not only the mini version that uses the opera servers?

I thought the mobile version connects directly to whatever point the browser to

I love Opera, but i'm not able to access to user agent. I type "opera:config" in adress bar than i press go and it give me a page, but when i tap on word "user agent" nothing happends, but i'm able to scroll the entire page. :D

Edited by boh

Guest godinandroid

I gave it a go, having used it before and ditched it.

The new version is definately better, but I still prefer Miren. I found scrolling weird and jumpy, and it kept zooming in when I didn't want it to :/. Will check again on the next update, as I'd like the Opera Unite stuff to work on it.

Guest simonta
Is it not only the mini version that uses the opera servers?

I thought the mobile version connects directly to whatever point the browser to

It does, but that's my point. If you just search for Opera, you see both next to each other in the market. No indication for the non-geeks that mini uses intermediates. I've made a concious decision based on that knowledge, just trying to steer others to the same state of conciousness :D

It does, but that's my point. If you just search for Opera, you see both next to each other in the market. No indication for the non-geeks that mini uses intermediates. I've made a concious decision based on that knowledge, just trying to steer others to the same state of conciousness :D

I would note that there is a turbo option in the mobile version for compressing files, which I presume is similar to mini, so would present the same security "risk"

Guest thedicemaster
right but this is temporary.

if you paste it to user agent after restarting tablet, opera going to default settings again.

to make it permanent search user prefs , in user prefs find custom user agent section and put it there.

this one also make all web pages to show in desktop mode

that's the exact same settings entry.

and if you hit save, it should stay until you wipe opera's data.

I love Opera, but i'm not able to access to user agent. I type "opera:config" in adress bar than i press go and it give me a page, but when i tap on word "user agent" nothing happends, but i'm able to scroll the entire page. :D

Anyone?

type "User-" then it should give you the box for "user-prefs"

thanks, i type "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1) AppleWebKit/534.25 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/12.0.706.0 Safari/534.25" and now it works well after rebooting too.