[ROM][GEN2]CyanogenMod 7 (Android 2.3.7)

Guest Test Zeppelin

Guest mvheuver
Anyone who is running RC 3 and NOT the latest nightly 32 (or any other nightly) and they experience the GPS bug with their phone shutting down could they please consider reporting it to the tracker.

I had this problem before on N25 but after upgrading to RC3 (full wipe) so far I cannot reproduce this. However, I only tried it out in my house and not on the road, will report back when I know more as it was one of the few annoying bugs left.

Guest samjam
@People wanting Wifi and the phone to sleep when you put the phone in standby Tom_G submitted a change here so that the old module will come back, with wifi tethering support. If you can't wait untill it gets merged, flash this old Wifi Module.

I used the old wifi module you supplied.

Now I don't lose half my battery if I forget to disable wlan for a few hours

Thanks very much.

Guest t0mm13b
Oh, that's nothing to do with CM; that's the anti-Android force field that they have running in all Apple Stores :D

Never a truer word spoken :D

Guest mickey megabyte
I used the old wifi module you supplied.

Now I don't lose half my battery if I forget to disable wlan for a few hours

Thanks very much.

me too - the old module seems to work very well - it even seems to reconnect after waking from sleep. :D

i'm on rc3, and so far no problems with gps nor accelerometer (although not sure how to test accelerometer, i used a couple of 'spirit level' apps, and they responded as expected.)

only problems i've found up until now are minor: duplicated contacts (although maybe my fault), some contacts' phone numbers are displayed in us (?) format (xxx-xxx-xxxxx) (again this could be me - i had some contacts saved to sdcard and some synced up with google) and theme colours sometimes a bit slow to kick in to change colours of system bar icons.

i've noticed that my phone number seems to be present and correct in settings/about phone/status - not sure if it was there before - not complaining :D

too early to comment meaningfully on battery life.

so, are people using rc3 or nightly 32?

52583d1291323788-nice-boobies-boobies-ifnotfunny.jpg

Guest mELIANTE
me too - the old module seems to work very well - it even seems to reconnect after waking from sleep. :D

i'm on rc3, and so far no problems with gps nor accelerometer (although not sure how to test accelerometer, i used a couple of 'spirit level' apps, and they responded as expected.)

only problems i've found up until now are minor: duplicated contacts (although maybe my fault), some contacts' phone numbers are displayed in us (?) format (xxx-xxx-xxxxx) (again this could be me - i had some contacts saved to sdcard and some synced up with google) and theme colours sometimes a bit slow to kick in to change colours of system bar icons.

i've noticed that my phone number seems to be present and correct in settings/about phone/status - not sure if it was there before - not complaining :D

too early to comment meaningfully on battery life.

so, are people using rc3 or nightly 32?

If actually try to use it for something you will notice the lag after some standby time. Even the level apps show it, only it isn't very noticeable and, for that matter, it really hasn't a negative impact. More interactive use will show its problems. The way to tell is to use a heavy accelerometer use app or game, like SpeedX (I dare you to make a good score) :(

Guest reluctant_traveller

Could someone confirm how long it takes for 1st boot after installing RC3?

I have never experienced the green android logo for more than a minute on any previous ROM flash.

Guest samjam
Could someone confirm how long it takes for 1st boot after installing RC3?

I have never experienced the green android logo for more than a minute on any previous ROM flash.

Lest than 5 minutes for sure. I had a couple of CM7 flashes that took quite a while.

One seemed to get stuck so I took the battery out and did ti again and it was fine.

Guest The Soup Thief
Could you be any less specific?

How about... "My phone works much differently (well a bit...) since I did that thing to it just

Go on - you lot try it"

Guest samjam
How about... "My phone works much differently (well a bit...) since I did that thing to it just

Go on - you lot try it"

err... here's mine?

I think something might have changed (somewhere)

Guest mvheuver
I had this problem before on N25 but after upgrading to RC3 (full wipe) so far I cannot reproduce this. However, I only tried it out in my house and not on the road, will report back when I know more as it was one of the few annoying bugs left.

Here is my experience with GPS on RC3 after using it on two longer journeys. Navigation is working fine and after closing the Navigation programme the phone no longer switches off after 10 minutes. I did this once without manually switching off the GPS in the power notification widget, and another time with switching it off manually. Both times it behaved as expected so as far as I can see this bug is no longer present. Can anyone confirm?

On another note, I still find it very annoying how the power notification widget works. I have had this on all CM7 nightlies. Pressing the buttons is sometimes frustrating because it doesn't seem to register the touch on, say the wifi button, while other times it is fine. Also closing the widget is awkward, unless you use the back button.

Can anything be done about this and is it worth filing a bug report on this?

Either way this ROM is now my favourite, seems stable enough for daily use, very happy to see how far we have come.

Guest samjam
On another note, I still find it very annoying how the power notification widget works. I have had this on all CM7 nightlies. Pressing the buttons is sometimes frustrating because it doesn't seem to register the touch on, say the wifi button, while other times it is fine. Also closing the widget is awkward, unless you use the back button.

Do you mean the widget on the status bar? Make sure you only press the top half of the power-widget on the status bar, above the lines. Don't press the lines, press the symbols above the lines.

Guest RoVlad

ok so the wifi keeps disconncting too many times and the widgets fail to load

settings : wifi always on

and install to external any app

wifi signal varies thous i dont move and .. . i'll be back

Guest mickey megabyte

i've changed my notification power widget a bit - i've got wifi, bluetooth, gps, mobile data, sync and brightness.

some of my notification power widget buttons are fine for me - gps, sync and brightness all 'do the right thing'.

however the wifi, mobile data and the bluetooth buttons aren't always a simple on/off toggle - there's sometimes also an intermediate delaying grey area which it goes into between off and on, if you know what i mean. when it's in this halfway state, clicking does nothing.

also i can't always seem to turn off my mobile data button unless i toggle the gps first.

something is definitely screwy here on rc3

Guest mvheuver
Do you mean the widget on the status bar? Make sure you only press the top half of the power-widget on the status bar, above the lines. Don't press the lines, press the symbols above the lines.

Yes, that is what I mean. You are right, it is actually easier when you press the symbols, I tend to press "too low" and I'm sure there are others like me. Still, I think it would be much better if the touch would register lower than the symbols. In my experience you need to be very accurate, especially with pulling the widget back. Sometimes pulling back is easy but other times it only works when you are extremely accurate. Not a major deal but it is one of the areas that could still be improved, I think (not a bug but usability, let's say).

Guest Victor von Zeppelin
i've changed my notification power widget a bit - i've got wifi, bluetooth, gps, mobile data, sync and brightness.

some of my notification power widget buttons are fine for me - gps, sync and brightness all 'do the right thing'.

however the wifi, mobile data and the bluetooth buttons aren't always a simple on/off toggle - there's sometimes also an intermediate delaying grey area which it goes into between off and on, if you know what i mean. when it's in this halfway state, clicking does nothing.

also i can't always seem to turn off my mobile data button unless i toggle the gps first.

something is definitely screwy here on rc3

The "Grey stage" happens because the radio is actually turning off, which isn't instantaneous. The thing with the mobile data may be just that it doesn't update. Eg, if I disable mobile data in the notification panel, it still has it's light on it the power widget on my homescreen.Cycling any other button refreshes it, as does jumping to an app for a while and going back home.

Here is my experience with GPS on RC3 after using it on two longer journeys. Navigation is working fine and after closing the Navigation programme the phone no longer switches off after 10 minutes. I did this once without manually switching off the GPS in the power notification widget, and another time with switching it off manually. Both times it behaved as expected so as far as I can see this bug is no longer present. Can anyone confirm?

I can confirm phone no longer switches/reboots after 10mts, but mine still did but this after some 6-8 hours. Have you waited long enough ?

Either way this ROM is now my favourite, seems stable enough for daily use, very happy to see how far we have come.

Edited by xzyk

Guest mvheuver
I can confirm phone no longer switches/reboots after 10mts, but mine still did but this after some 6-8 hours. Have you waited long enough ?

No, I didn't wait that long, journey was only a few hours ago. So far so good, will keep an eye on it though.

Guest dibbles

If anyone has issues with RC 3 and their GPS (I have seen them post here about it switching their phone off) please consider adding your experiences (with RC3 only) to my bug report here....

http://code.google.com/p/cyanogenmod/issue...tars%20Priority

...any logs would be useful for the devs.

it took around 25 minutes for my phone to switch off this time when using RC 3. I had to leave it not connected to anything and I must not touch it at all for it to shut down. Any action on the phone and even plugging it to the PC seems to prevent it from happening.

bug issue # 3277

Thanks

Edited by dibbles

If anyone has issues with RC 3 and their GPS (I have seen them post here about it switching their phone off) please consider adding your experiences (with RC3 only) to my bug report here....

http://code.google.com/p/cyanogenmod/issue...tars%20Priority

...any logs would be useful for the devs.

it took around 25 minutes for my phone to switch off this time when using RC 3. I had to leave it not connected to anything and I must not touch it at all for it to shut down. Any action on the phone and even plugging it to the PC seems to prevent it from happening.

bug issue # 3277

Thanks

I seems very time dependent because you're right it does switch off if left it without touching, but i've also had it happen, from deep sleep after pressing power button, screen come on then there immediately is no touchscreen response and quickly vibrates and reboots. What i've never had is a reboot while actually using it, so it does appear that a deep sleep duration is require for the problem to be reproduced. The good thing is that i can reproduce, without fail, every single time on most recent nightlies and RC3 with a full wipe and no gapps added and never logged into google; basically have a SF which i am using for development purposes. I use GPTest as my test utility but i believe any GPS app that uses GPS will do the same thing. It is even more annoying now that is not happening within 10-15mts, as it used to pre N31 , because now you could use GPS and because it is taking longer to reboot/switch off, you could actually not even be aware it happened; e.g. if it happens overnight.

Guest dibbles
I seems very time dependent because you're right it does switch off if left it without touching, but i've also had it happen, from deep sleep after pressing power button, screen come on then there immediately is no touchscreen response and quickly vibrates and reboots. What i've never had is a reboot while actually using it, so it does appear that a deep sleep duration is require for the problem to be reproduced. The good thing is that i can reproduce, without fail, every single time on most recent nightlies and RC3 with a full wipe and no gapps added and never logged into google; basically have a SF which i am using for development purposes. I use GPTest as my test utility but i believe any GPS app that uses GPS will do the same thing. It is even more annoying now that is not happening within 10-15mts, as it used to pre N31 , because now you could use GPS and because it is taking longer to reboot/switch off, you could actually not even be aware it happened; e.g. if it happens overnight.

Then please add your comments you have just noted here to that bug thread. It will help to add validity to it when realised others are experiencing the same issues :D

Thanks.

Guest JimJam707
tested minute ago. sucks ass. slow and without radio. be serious. flb still my favourite.

Sorry but, that's a bit ungrateful.

No one cares if you don't like it and prefer FLB.

Guest JJKrista1
tested minute ago. sucks ass. slow and without radio. be serious. flb still my favourite.

An example of how not to make friends and influence people...